+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: When we've sacked managers in the past.. what if.. ?

When we've sacked managers in the past.. what if.. ?

This is something Ive always wondered and of course I/we will never know now.
    But when we've sacked a manager/coach during the season and replaced him, and we've then managed to stay up, I still wonder what might have happened if we'd stuck by him after all ?.
    Heres some examples that spring to mind, and by the way these were all in the league that we are now in, what we now of course call the Championship..

Allan Clarke in Nov '89. We replaced him with Mel Machin at the end of the year, and he kept us up that season.

Keith Hill in Dec '12. We replaced him with David Flitcroft in mid January, and he kept us up that season.

Norman Hunter in Mar '84. We replaced him with Bobby Collins soon aftwerwards, and he kept us up that season.

Andy Ritchie in Nov '06. We replaced him with Simon Davey soon afterwards, and he kept us up that season.

Out of those four, I think the Ritchie and Hunter sackings were very unfair. But if Im honest, I think both Clarke and Hill at the time, were taking us down.

I would agree with that assessment

Most teams do get that new manager bounce as well where the results start to improve, even if only temporarily.
    But we've seen none of that this season, and it makes you wonder if this replacement Asbaghi is actually any better at all than Schopp.