+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Benitez sacked...

In fairness I wouldn't put Gary Neville into the top players definition!

Back on topic...more bad news. Everton knocked back as far as Martinez is concerned. Favourites now seem to be Duncan Ferguson, Lampard or Rooney.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    In fairness I wouldn't put Gary Neville into the top players definition!
    85 international caps. Lots of experience at the top with club and country.

Alloa Athletic's finest, Connor Sammon, got 9 caps........

You're comparing apples with pears. It doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    You're comparing apples with pears. It doesn't work.
    Agreeing with MA about Gary Neville, but the point is you can go back years - eg Nobby Stiles and Bobby Charlton - and there are plenty of great/highly successful footballers who were poor managers and vice versa eg...Jurgen Klopp.
    If Everton really want Rooney his current lack of ‘qualification’ will be no obstacle. Fingers crossed...unless there’s more down to Rosenior than we’re actually led to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    Accountants and teachers were suggested, I'll happily single out another profession if you prefer?
    I suppose if you're someone with the luxury of an expensive education, you wouldn't emphasise with those who did not have such opportunity. Not everyone can afford a degree or to take time out of their working day to get these non-essential qualifications.
    Not that I'd put Rooney in the poverty bracket, but he's worked hard under unprecedented circumstances, and shouldn't be discouraged due to lack of a specific coaching badge.
    Its a question of rules I guess and also of a standard amongst all the leagues, so that where managers go to work in another country they have a recognised qualification to avoid "cheap" foreign unqualified managers being appointed.

As for Rooney, well there are any number of qualified experienced managers and coaches who don't happen to be a former big name player who would have jumped at the chance to manage derby and arguably could ahve made as good if not abetter job than Rooney (I agree that under current circumstances he is doing an amazing job, but then just maybe the lack of pressure of expectation is working in his and the players favour?), last season however he was lucky not to get relegated and the football, tactics were dire.

But if the rules are there to increase the standard of caching, it isn't right or fair that someone with a "name" as a player gets an opportunity over someone with more experience and qualifications surely?

The point of qualifications, is to enable people to be able to undertake increasingly complicated jobs, the world has changed and well paid unskilled jobs are few and far between and the chances of getting a well paid job without the requisite qualifications are few and far between. I know several people who took their qualifications at night classes and developed their career that way, and free as well or low cost. So cost and working full time not a bar to those who wish to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Whether it makes sense for someone of Rooney’s vast playing ability and experience to have to gain additional certification is certainly debatable. One thing it equally certainly isn’t though is ‘discrimination’.
    Yes but as we have seen, one can be a very good player and a crap manager. Equally one can have been a poor player and be a very good manager.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Yes but as we have seen, one can be a very good player and a crap manager. Equally one can have been a poor player and be a very good manager.
    Indeed. We all love Toddo and Roy Mac as players......

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Indeed. We all love Toddo and Roy Mac as players......
    Mouriniho, Ferguson, Wenger just 3 who werent top players, not sure that Klopp was either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)