+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Chris Wood transfer

Chris Wood transfer

There is one thing about this transfer I need to get off my chest. Some say this is a smart transfer, because we take away the top striker from one of our relegation rivals.

We might stay up because we bought Wood, but there is no way we stay up because we bought Burnleys main striker.

I don't buy the "weakening a relegation rival" argument too much because €25m for someone who only scored 3 times doesn't make you that much weaker. Losing Woods might have an effect if they can't spend it in time.

Anyway, even though Wood wasn't amazing yesterday I thought he did a half-decent job adding to the attacking threat.

From now on though, the honeymoon is well and truly over and he needs to start scoring goals; not just pushing people around. Oh and tell EH not to sub off Fraser again unless he's crocked because that's half the supply (apart from Tripps) on the right that will enable Wood to score.

Exactly. I'm not going to slate Wood, but like I said buying Burnleys main striker isnt going to increase youre chance of survival.

He needs to start scoring like you say, and we need another striker to mix it up.

I think the fact that Alf the Burnley fan was on here saying thank you is pretty telling (and he's a good lad so wasn't bullshitting, imo)

I think Wood will be fine for us

I had a look on the Burnley Instagram page when the deal was made and not one of there fans seemed slightly bothered by loosing Wood that speaks volumes for me. They seemed gobsmacked they'd managed to get £25 millions for him and a lot were saying they hoped this is the end of playing the sort of boring football to suite a striker like wood. I hope he does well for us I really do but I honestly believe Andy Carroll is a level above Chris Wood when fully fit and if Burnley sign him and he stays fit they have got the better out of the deal.

No one can object to any of these points. I think it was more question that we were desperate for a striker. Any striker.

I just hope that we were as profligate with spending for centre backs and get a couple in.

Quote Originally Posted by trinitoon View Post
    I don't buy the "weakening a relegation rival" argument too much because €25m for someone who only scored 3 times doesn't make you that much weaker. Losing Woods might have an effect if they can't spend it in time.

Anyway, even though Wood wasn't amazing yesterday I thought he did a half-decent job adding to the attacking threat.

From now on though, the honeymoon is well and truly over and he needs to start scoring goals; not just pushing people around. Oh and tell EH not to sub off Fraser again unless he's crocked because that's half the supply (apart from Tripps) on the right that will enable Wood to score.
    Especially not for Almirante, god he does my head in! That’s Almirante not EH!

Quote Originally Posted by tinostongue View Post
    Especially not for Almirante, god he does my head in! That’s Almirante not EH!
    Almirante?? Dunno where that came from like, Almiron of course.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)