+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts from the game

Thoughts from the game

After a grey and dreary morning in the London massive, the sun came out to play as did the boys from my home town.

Amazing stadium, great facilities (easy to grab a beer or three and more than enough toilets when you finally have to break the seal) but OMG its so soulless for atmosphere. The noise disappears into the air and fades along with with the Spammers bubbles - sure they enhance the sound on TV but the noise from a very vocal Leeds support was muted where we were.

Also what a fickle lot the West Ham lot are - so many left with more than 10 minutes to go - the two rows in front of me were almost empty! I can also see then turning on their own team pretty quickly.

We were almost universally at it all game, a true side before self performance with stellar performances from James (he was like four Duracell bunnies rolled into one and threw himself around without any regard to whether he might get injured - Rodrigo please take note), Dallas, Struijk, Koch, and Ayling in particular.

Forshaw looked great until he got injured - always in the right place, protects the ball so well and tee’d up Harrison for the first so well. Also gives confidence to those around him - think he allowed Koch to settle into the DM role. So gutted for him when he got injured. Firpo was having his best game and looked strong defensively and in the air.

We set up very differently with the ball 2 3 2 3 and at times controlled possession comfortably and looked very good. Not sure if West Ham were tired, confused or not expecting that from us but we looked very very good at times. We also defended more like the end of last year and differently to the other games I have seen live this season. Only a few man marked and the rest looked like a sophisticated form of man marking in zones but allowing others to pick up when out of the zone.

We kept our shape well and rarely left gaping holes in midfield unlike other games I have seen.

When Forshaw and Firpo went off Dallas, Ayling and Struijk grew. Struijk was far and away our best player - Harrison hat trick notwithstanding. Harrison was good but goals aside wouldn’t put him in our top three players on the day.

Ayling looked decent at CB for once and his and Struijk’s ability to travel with the ball was great.

Rapha first half looked a little Mr angry but again grew and second half much more influential.

Klick had a decent game but also made a lot of mistakes and expected him to step up as senior midfield pro when Forshsaw went off and he didn’t really. Also lucky not to get in trouble for kicking and throwing the ball away.

Bate looked good and will become very good I think. His positioning when we have and don’t have the ball is great and always shows for it and wants it. Hjelde looks good too and showed more what he can do with the ball than last week.

Rodrigo who I normally like was a disgrace when we didn’t have the ball - not sure how obvious it was on tv but he was strolling around and not getting back - self
    ,or lack or desire, before side - compare and contrast with Dan I just ran two marathons James. Maybe he was still not fully recovered or not if it but also didn’t seem to fancy putting his body on the line like others.

Didn’t see James’ missed effort before half time as the pre match pints meant I had to break the seal before the HT rush. Great performance and somehow whilst we made it nervy had a very rare confidence we would win. Didn’t see the VAR reply but even the spammers around me felt it was bollox.

Rice was the best player on the pitch and to be fair doesn’t dive or feign injury - he gave Bate a few smiles and pats too.

If/when we build our new ground please god don’t let it be like West Ham’s as for all it’s imposing grandeur it isn’t an atmospheric ground (although please do copy the facilities for food drink and toilets.)

Looked like there were quite a lot of ejections from the ground for Leeds and West Ham but there was no edge or spite in the ground so possibly the dibble being heavy handed.

Always great to be there when we win and that was a good good performance across the park - Rodrigo excepted and despite Klich still not being Klich a bit like Alice in her Wonderland.

Great reaction to the third goal from the players.

MOT
    Last edited by hopelesslyoptimistic; 16-01-2022 at 08:16 PM.

Oh and I forgot to add - good bye to the we don’t win in London mullarkey - we should batter Brentford away too if we play like that again.

Two more wins and I think we may very well be safe from relegation

Awesome report!

Most of my mates went there last week and had similar opinions about the “new” West Ham experience. Too bad.

Not sure I’d 100% trust myself in the home end, but I guess it’s not quite Ayresome Park, Roker Park or Ibrox, all of which I somehow managed to get out of alive.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    After a grey and dreary morning in the London massive, the sun came out to play as did the boys from my home town.

Amazing stadium, great facilities (easy to grab a beer or three and more than enough toilets when you finally have to break the seal) but OMG its so soulless for atmosphere. The noise disappears into the air and fades along with with the Spammers bubbles - sure they enhance the sound on TV but the noise from a very vocal Leeds support was muted where we were.

Also what a fickle lot the West Ham lot are - so many left with more than 10 minutes to go - the two rows in front of me were almost empty! I can also see then turning on their own team pretty quickly.

We were almost universally at it all game, a true side before self performance with stellar performances from James (he was like four Duracell bunnies rolled into one and threw himself around without any regard to whether he might get injured - Rodrigo please take note), Dallas, Struijk, Koch, and Ayling in particular.

Forshaw looked great until he got injured - always in the right place, protects the ball so well and tee’d up Harrison for the first so well. Also gives confidence to those around him - think he allowed Koch to settle into the DM role. So gutted for him when he got injured. Firpo was having his best game and looked strong defensively and in the air.

We set up very differently with the ball 2 3 2 3 and at times controlled possession comfortably and looked very good. Not sure if West Ham were tired, confused or not expecting that from us but we looked very very good at times. We also defended more like the end of last year and differently to the other games I have seen live this season. Only a few man marked and the rest looked like a sophisticated form of man marking in zones but allowing others to pick up when out of the zone.

We kept our shape well and rarely left gaping holes in midfield unlike other games I have seen.

When Forshaw and Firpo went off Dallas, Ayling and Struijk grew. Struijk was far and away our best player - Harrison hat trick notwithstanding. Harrison was good but goals aside wouldn’t put him in our top three players on the day.

Ayling looked decent at CB for once and his and Struijk’s ability to travel with the ball was great.

Rapha first half looked a little Mr angry but again grew and second half much more influential.

Klick had a decent game but also made a lot of mistakes and expected him to step up as senior midfield pro when Forshsaw went off and he didn’t really. Also lucky not to get in trouble for kicking and throwing the ball away.

Bate looked good and will become very good I think. His positioning when we have and don’t have the ball is great and always shows for it and wants it. Hjelde looks good too and showed more what he can do with the ball than last week.

Rodrigo who I normally like was a disgrace when we didn’t have the ball - not sure how obvious it was on tv but he was strolling around and not getting back - self
    ,or lack or desire, before side - compare and contrast with Dan I just ran two marathons James. Maybe he was still not fully recovered or not if it but also didn’t seem to fancy putting his body on the line like others.

Didn’t see James’ missed effort before half time as the pre match pints meant I had to break the seal before the HT rush. Great performance and somehow whilst we made it nervy had a very rare confidence we would win. Didn’t see the VAR reply but even the spammers around me felt it was bollox.

Rice was the best player on the pitch and to be fair doesn’t dive or feign injury - he gave Bate a few smiles and pats too.

If/when we build our new ground please god don’t let it be like West Ham’s as for all it’s imposing grandeur it isn’t an atmospheric ground (although please do copy the facilities for food drink and toilets.)

Looked like there were quite a lot of ejections from the ground for Leeds and West Ham but there was no edge or spite in the ground so possibly the dibble being heavy handed.

Always great to be there when we win and that was a good good performance across the park - Rodrigo excepted and despite Klich still not being Klich a bit like Alice in her Wonderland.

Great reaction to the third goal from the players.

MOT
    Great match report, adds immensely to what was broadcast (although I'd add that what crowd noise there was came from Leeds supporters!).

As for player performance, agree 100% and give James the "Duracell bunny" award. Given the same opportunities going forward, he will score, and in the meantime I hope he continues to give the defence some pressure.

My report.Short and sweet.
    Consider yourselves safe already. There is no way the bottom four clubs will overtake you,especially when you get some of your better players back.
    Great win at Wet Spam..Well done.

I was in a fairly benign bit of the home ‘end’ - lots of fairly favourable comments about Leeds too. I think it was pretty obvious who I supported when they equalised - it took me a good 20​seconds to finally stand up and take my head out of my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Great match report, adds immensely to what was broadcast (although I'd add that what crowd noise there was came from Leeds supporters!).

As for player performance, agree 100% and give James the "Duracell bunny" award. Given the same opportunities going forward, he will score, and in the meantime I hope he continues to give the defence some pressure.
    Just watched the highlights and sounds far noisier on that than does at the ground itself - I suspect they have learnt where to judiciously place the microphones to make the most of the fan noise before it drifts off with their ki did ie bubbles).

Was it obvious how little Rodrigo ran back when we didn’t have the ball on the TV?

Just watched the highlights and sounds far noisier on that than does at the ground itself - I suspect they have learnt where to judiciously place the microphones to make the most of the fan noise before it drifts off with their ki did ie bubbles).

Was it obvious how little Rodrigo ran back when we didn’t have the ball on the TV?
    Well for what its worth the crown noise made it appear we were playing at home!

As for Rodrigo, it was obvious how little he adds on all fronts and I was bitterly disappointed for Bate, who did absolutely nothing wrong (and was quite clearly pi55ed off when subbed)

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Well for what its worth the crown noise made it appear we were playing at home!

As for Rodrigo, it was obvious how little he adds on all fronts and I was bitterly disappointed for Bate, who did absolutely nothing wrong (and was quite clearly pi55ed off when subbed)
    Think he may have taken Bate off for a couple of reasons - he looked like he was starting to tire and also lost possession a couple of times just before subbed to Rice - maybe wanted to give Rodrigo minutes too.

Please please please let Forshaw not be badly injured - Roberts looks to be out for a few weeks and if all fit would like the starting 11 to be given a lot more game time.

Think he may have taken Bate off for a couple of reasons - he looked like he was starting to tire and also lost possession a couple of times just before subbed to Rice - maybe wanted to give Rodrigo minutes too.

Please please please let Forshaw not be badly injured - Roberts looks to be out for a few weeks and if all fit would like the starting 11 to be given a lot more game time.
    Sorry to spoil the "entente cordial" but if Roberts never plays for LUFC again I'll be a very happy bunny (and I won't be alone)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)