+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Predictocomp - WEEK 25

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Chalky,around here I’ve heard sausage ordered by the yard, and mince by the handful. It’s about how many it’s for. Last night I went to a pie and peas supper at our village hall (I know how to live and the bar was open) and one slab pie provided 24 portions. From Tony Harrison’s butchers in C*Cockermouth where a look in his shop window would have your mouth watering.
    Slab pie! That takes me back.

I remember those being provided on darts nights back in the 70's.

12 darts players and 24 portions. 2 each.

Nothing better than a piece of slab pie after 6 or 7 pints.

GROUP A
    Birmingham v Barnsley 2-1
    Bournemouth v Hull AWAY
    Reading v Huddersfield AWAY
    WBA v Peterborough 1-2

GROUP B
    Burton v Wimbledon DRAW
    Charlton v Fleetwood 2-1
    MK Dons v Doncaster 2-1
    Wigan v Gillingham HOME

GROUP C
    Barrow v Mansfield DRAW
    Forest Green v Carlisle HOME
    Hartlepool v Stevenage 1-2
    Walsall v Exeter. 1-1

Quote Originally Posted by howoldboy View Post
    Slab pie! That takes me back.

I remember those being provided on darts nights back in the 70's.

12 darts players and 24 portions. 2 each.

Nothing better than a piece of slab pie after 6 or 7 pints.
    Aye, 24 is the catering tray, I think the family tray just has 12 portions. You’re OK as long as you don’t get the corner.

Who are we waiting for?

DAVEE!

NZBLUE!

Aye, 24 is the catering tray, I think the family tray just has 12 portions. You’re OK as long as you don’t get the corner.

Who are we waiting for?

DAVEE!

NZBLUE!
    Davee is already in. Only NZB now.

I've never heard of a slab pie and why is getting the corner a bad deal,while we are at it who the hell orders mince in quantity's of handfuls? Haven't they got scales up north or summat?

Is a handful slang for 4/8/12oz's or something and you ask for a handful and the butcher weighs out 4oz's?

If you don't want any left over and you live by yourself, a handful’s a handy measure (see what I did there?)

The corner has two edges with pastry, therefore less filling.
    Last edited by griff; 22-01-2022 at 11:47 AM.

If you don't want any left over and you live by yourself, a handful’s a handy measure (see what I did there?)
    Yes but so would asking for the exact amount that you require,what if you usually get a handful from a small butcher then one day a butcher serves you with hands like shovels do you still ask for a handful,when you've asked for a handful does the butcher weigh the mince and then add some if there's not enough,it's a food preparing nightmare tbh

The corner has two edges with pastry, therefore less filling.
    Less filling? What are you on about,surely having more crust would fill you up more than a piece with only one side of pastry?

We like value for money, Chalky, so prefer more meat to more pastry. The pieces are all about the same size so imagine a bit from the middle - pastry above and below but no edges, just more meat. Heaven.

As for the great mince debate, butchers around here are bred so that their hands are all the same size. You’re welcome.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)