+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Match off tonight frozen pitch

I've always said nowt can beat a good layer of straw where frost is involved....all these modern covers are nowhere near as good as straw ask anyone who owns an allotment...

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    It doesn't matter what orientation. does it?
    only in the sense that it,s likely to be the same areas of the pitch that are affected the most.
    At Millmoor it was usually the pitch just in front of the Railway End. I would imagine that it's also the pitch down at the away end at the nys that's usually the problem because both goalmouths are north facing and hardly see any Sunshine in winter

The goalmouths at An east west orientated ground might fare better but the touch line to the south might be susceptible

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Or you could have just put a big (POSTPONED) at the end of the title of that thread. (You need to Edit Post and select Go Advanced to change a title)
    Or start a new post and wait for it to be moved to another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    only in the sense that it,s likely to be the same areas of the pitch that are affected the most.
    At Millmoor it was usually the pitch just in front of the Railway End. I would imagine that it's also the pitch down at the away end at the nys that's usually the problem because both goalmouths are north facing and hardly see any Sunshine in winter

The goalmouths at An east west orientated ground might fare better but the touch line to the south might be susceptible
    I may be wrong but I don't ever remember the club having a game postponed at NYS for this reason before. The orientation of the ground certainly hasn't changed and we haven't had a prolonged period of sub-zero temperatures throughout the day so something else must have gone wrong.

Hasn't Sarah Champion been moaning about at the cannabis factories in Rotherham, we should get them in NYS, plenty of vacant units plus would be fine with growing grass...maybe that's where the heat lamps have gone too.
    Last edited by fc_miller; 18-01-2022 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Well Jimmy Frost,Mary Frost & Andrew Frost did,
    Yes but they were very thawed out 😜

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    I thought Frost covers protected the pitch overall, not just parts of it, if we rely on the sun to thaw the pitch out, then we're in trouble just like every other lower league club, We have never relied on the sun, if so, we'd have numerous games off.........Strange we've never had this problem at NYS when it's been frosty before??
    The orientation of the stadium has got nothing to do with it. No matter which way it is they're always be a part in shadow.
    I've explained this in another post Avon....so one last go.
    The covers will only protect against certain temperatures. If the temperature drops below a certain level, because it's in shadow, then simple covers won't work. It would require blown hot air in a tent type arrangement or perhaps thicker coverings with a layer of insulation

We're not relying on the sun to thaw it out, we're relying on it before that point to prevent temperatures dropping to such a low level to cause freezing ground. If we have a cover on as well then we have a fighting chance
    This wasn't the case last night hence the frozen parts of the pitch and simple covers weren't adequate for the weather conditions.
    On other match nights the temperature may not have been as low hence there wasn't a problem and the covers worked

I've explained my orientation comment above

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Covers don’t work that well anyway. Tend to protect a bit for air frost but not ground frost where it will still freeze under the covers.
    Covers were supposed to protect to -2 so something as gone array ?

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    I've explained this in another post Avon....so one last go.
    The covers will only protect against certain temperatures. If the temperature drops below a certain level, because it's in shadow, then simple covers won't work. It would require blown hot air in a tent type arrangement or perhaps thicker coverings with a layer of insulation

We're not relying on the sun to thaw it out, we're relying on it before that point to prevent temperatures dropping to such a low level to cause freezing ground. If we have a cover on as well then we have a fighting chance
    This wasn't the case last night hence the frozen parts of the pitch and simple covers weren't adequate for the weather conditions.
    On other match nights the temperature may not have been as low hence there wasn't a problem and the covers worked

I've explained my orientation comment above
    I don’t think we need to discuss your orientation on here !

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I may be wrong but I don't ever remember the club having a game postponed at NYS for this reason before. The orientation of the ground certainly hasn't changed and we haven't had a prolonged period of sub-zero temperatures throughout the day so something else must have gone wrong.
    Yes but if parts of the pitch are in shadow they will be considerably colder than the surrounding areas.
    So there may well have been prolonged sub zero temperatures at the away end goal mouth or wherever else the pitch is frozen

Whether it's happened before will depend on weather conditions in the days and nights leading up to the postponement

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast