+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we need a new striker NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    We know our chairman has said there are funds available to spend so why are we not making official approaches for anyone when time is both important and of the urgency?
    How do you know we aren't?

And as a few of us discussed yesterday, everything takes time. You just have to be patient. That is why we are fans and those in the decision making process are in that role, they see it is a business decision where we are too emotional. 'We must do it now' desperation is an awful way to approach negotiations and would be sensed a mile off. Those at the top have assembled a really good squad, errors along the way granted, but lets trust in them to do what is best. As they often have.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Got option to extend Smudger's contract for one season so he won't go for nothing. Warney or recruitment it's backfiring on them not getting it right in the summer. All this season so far no left sided central defender. Being a striker short, Grigg not the answer.
    Its Ladapo we have a 12 month contract option on Gru, Smith contract up in the summer.

And on midfielders, we play with a central 3 and we have 5 in the squad. We are hardly overloaded so lets not go looking for an issue when there isn't one. Freddie's transfer request has knocked us out of sync somewhat but it sounds like some were wanting a 5th striker at the start of the season. 2 to play and 3 on the bench. That would of been fine but 3 CMs playing and 2 on the bench is too disproportionate. Not sure how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    And on midfielders, we play with a central 3 and we have 5 in the squad. We are hardly overloaded so lets not go looking for an issue when there isn't one. Freddie's transfer request has knocked us out of sync somewhat but it sounds like some were wanting a 5th striker at the start of the season. 2 to play and 3 on the bench. That would of been fine but 3 CMs playing and 2 on the bench is too disproportionate. Not sure how that works.
    So not looking for an issue that isn’t there?

Do you think Sadlier fits our system?
    Do you think we needed Oddifin?
    Do you think mattock should have been given a new contract?
    Do you think we should be going into the second half of the season with
    A striker what is refusing to sign a new contract?
    A striker what wants to leave?
    A striker what is on loan and has been deemed not good enough at a rival.
    A striker they is still learning and not ready?
    We keep playing a young midfielder that is clearly struggling ?

Nope no issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    So not looking for an issue that isn’t there?

Do you think Sadlier fits our system?
    Do you think we needed Oddifin?
    Do you think mattock should have been given a new contract?
    Do you think we should be going into the second half of the season with
    A striker what is refusing to sign a new contract?
    A striker what wants to leave?
    A striker what is on loan and has been deemed not good enough at a rival.
    A striker they is still learning and not ready?
    We keep playing a young midfielder that is clearly struggling ?

Nope no issues at all.
    I'm sure you will reread my post and see that the 'not go looking for an issue when there isn't one' was clearly and exclusively in reference to the number of CMs we have in the squad. If you wish for me to discuss the rest of what you included in your reply then fair enough and I'd be happy to but don't misrepresent what I said. This isn't the Daily Mail.

I think our recruitment team have found us some great players of the last few seasons, Rathbone, Johansann, A. MacDonald, fergusan, Miller, Lindsay, harding, Barlaser, Odofwin (however it is spelt) and REG I think Bola will come good he is just a kid. We have also called back Cooper to give is CB cover and although mattock is well passed his best when availabe he can come in at FB or CB in a three. I do agree we need a forward in before 1st Feb it brings competition for places and cover, also puts us in a better position in the summer. Freddie has decided to go, he cannot be allowed to leave without a replacement he is on for 20 goals this season they have to come from someone, Grigg and Kayode won't get 10 league goals between them if they both stayed on the pitch for an extra 10 minutes when the opposition have left. Grigg is a good option to have, but he missed two eay chances at Fleetwood and if we are serious about the top two places we need to show it by investing. Also it could help the management of the players refusing to sign new contracts, if they see the club is ambitious they might buy into that

I'll bet managers and chairmen just love transfer windows. What was it that Warne said about it in an interview in the autumn? Something about the unrealistic expectations of supporters? He was politer than that, but it was what he meant.

Buying football players isn't like nipping into the supermarket to buy a tin of beans. You don't find 20 plus goals per season strikers stacked between the box to box midfielders and hidden gems from the lower leagues.

It takes players wanting to come to Rotherham. It requires players being available within the budget is of the club. It takes time.

Some supporters need to decide what they want too. Some on here have spoken about allowing Tilt and Ladapo to sit out their contracts on the bench. That's fine provided that they accept that costs money, takes up berths in the squad and makes players wary about signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    I think our recruitment team have found us some great players of the last few seasons, Rathbone, Johansann, A. MacDonald, fergusan, Miller, Lindsay, harding, Barlaser, Odofwin (however it is spelt) and REG I think Bola will come good he is just a kid. We have also called back Cooper to give is CB cover and although mattock is well passed his best when availabe he can come in at FB or CB in a three. I do agree we need a forward in before 1st Feb it brings competition for places and cover, also puts us in a better position in the summer. Freddie has decided to go, he cannot be allowed to leave without a replacement he is on for 20 goals this season they have to come from someone, Grigg and Kayode won't get 10 league goals between them if they both stayed on the pitch for an extra 10 minutes when the opposition have left. Grigg is a good option to have, but he missed two eay chances at Fleetwood and if we are serious about the top two places we need to show it by investing. Also it could help the management of the players refusing to sign new contracts, if they see the club is ambitious they might buy into that
    Cooper his loan ended. Harding Angus Lindsay Barlaser good signings rest no. Rathbone can't run forever, make ball do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I'll bet managers and chairmen just love transfer windows. What was it that Warne said about it in an interview in the autumn? Something about the unrealistic expectations of supporters? He was politer than that, but it was what he meant.

Buying football players isn't like nipping into the supermarket to buy a tin of beans. You don't find 20 plus goals per season strikers stacked between the box to box midfielders and hidden gems from the lower leagues.

It takes players wanting to come to Rotherham. It requires players being available within the budget is of the club. It takes time.

Some supporters need to decide what they want too. Some on here have spoken about allowing Tilt and Ladapo to sit out their contracts on the bench. That's fine provided that they accept that costs money, takes up berths in the squad and makes players wary about signing.
    Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post

it’s a wonder that any football clubs manage to sign any players at all then if you’re right.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast