+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Boreham Wood

Sutton have some really good people off the pitch including analysts at all levels of their club. Not to the same extent as Notts but I follow a couple of them on social media and you can tell that Sutton are light years ahead of many L2 and some L1 clubs in this respect and it's paid off for them.

I think I mentioned on an earlier thread that they have recruited well, we all know about Enzio and although he's not ripping it up but seems to slot in well at RW and has even covered at RB this season. They kept Olaofe on loan from Millwall for another season, the player that essentially scared the life out of Rawlo every time he had the ball when we played that at home last season.

It's no surprise that their they are doing well as they have a good mix of experience and youth all over the pitch, Rob Milson has 5 goals and 4 assists from LB, 6 goals and 3 assists from David Ajiboye out wide, a midfield that includes Craig Eastman and Harry Beautyman and a very good keeper in Dean Bouzanis with Stuart Nelson as reserve keeper.

Sutton deserve all the credit they are due as this doesn't happen overnight, and much of it comes down to the work done behind the scenes and like it or not they have embraced the modern game and all that comes with.

Essentially you can throw the old game out of the window, it's clubs that are managed well behind the scenes that will succeed moving forward and not necessarily anything to do with being well backed, just because a club spends big it doesn't always result in success on the pitch, absolutely no reason to begrudge smaller clubs finding success in the EFL if they have integrated the right structure from top to bottom, they've deserved it.

ncfcog why you continue to talk so much sence 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    ncfcog why you continue to talk so much sence ��
    The best read on this board. iMO.

Great to hear your take on Sutton Richard, with a analytical/behind the scenes viewpoint.

Clearly financial restraints to vary degrees at clubs will make the chances of succeeding more difficult. However it's actually pleasing to see that, as Richard says, well managed clubs off the field has been shown to be far more important and success can be and is achieved.

It doesn't matter what number of fans attend home games , whatever sized club if your are well run club you are a well run club and you give yourself a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    ncfcog why you continue to talk so much sence 😁
    And always about Notts County FC too.

Make him stop lol

Interesting podcast/YouTube videos too if you are looking for something more in-depth.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I've seen very little comment on here about the phenomenon that is Bore Em Stiff. How can a club in a remote part of Ess e x who NEVER manage to draw a 4 figure home crowd be in serious contention for promotion to the FL? Their Cup run is tending to prove that they are a worthy outfit and may well conclude in them topping Notts this season.
    I understand that a lot of their recruits are fringe squad players from teams in the Premier or Championship - players who don't want to give up London but are aware they might be scouted being so close to the capital. Is that true?
    Borehamwood is basically a London suburb, it’s not remote at all. You certainly don’t go through any countryside travelling between central London and there. Think it’s in Hertfordshire as well.

There’s a few reasons they do well:

- Owner has put in a lot of ££ over a number of years
    - They have a relationship with Arsenal which has brought money in and improved the ground and pitch loads
    - Their recruitment is spot on, location wise the London teams have a big advantage at this level and they probably use it the best of them

While we will have a bigger budget than them, I don’t think it will be anywhere near as much as you might guess given their crowds. They’re very well funded. What the long term point of it all is when no one goes to watch them, I have no idea!

BW, formed post war, are a somewhat schizophrenic club going by their final league positions, both in the 5th and 6th tiers since they entered into the NL/Conference the season after we'd gone up under Munto. If this pattern continues they could well be battling the drop to tier 6 next season if they don't go up this.

5th tier
    2020/21 - 14th/23
    2019/20 - 5th/24
    2018/19 - 20th/24
    2017/18 - 4th/24 pof
    2016/17 - 11th/24
    2015/16 - 19th/24

6th tier
    2014/15 - 2nd/21 WON POF
    2013/14 - 13th/22
    2012/13 - 9th/22
    2011/12 - 8th/22
    2010/11 - 14th/22

Sutton Utd go back a lot further and were a top half 5th tier club around the time of their famous FA Cup win against 1st tier Coventry in 1989, but I'd still expect them to hit a ceiling and crash back down again eventually, ditto Harrogate. Look at Yeovil, went all the way up to tier 2 and now a non-league side again, Macc Town and Rushden both had their day in the 3rd tier and ended up going out of business. Burton are the biggest success story of a club that size, but that still might end in tears yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Dont take life so seriously KTD.....XX
    I really don’t Pedro x

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Sutton have some really good people off the pitch including analysts at all levels of their club. Not to the same extent as Notts but I follow a couple of them on social media and you can tell that Sutton are light years ahead of many L2 and some L1 clubs in this respect and it's paid off for them.

I think I mentioned on an earlier thread that they have recruited well, we all know about Enzio and although he's not ripping it up but seems to slot in well at RW and has even covered at RB this season. They kept Olaofe on loan from Millwall for another season, the player that essentially scared the life out of Rawlo every time he had the ball when we played that at home last season.

It's no surprise that their they are doing well as they have a good mix of experience and youth all over the pitch, Rob Milson has 5 goals and 4 assists from LB, 6 goals and 3 assists from David Ajiboye out wide, a midfield that includes Craig Eastman and Harry Beautyman and a very good keeper in Dean Bouzanis with Stuart Nelson as reserve keeper.

Sutton deserve all the credit they are due as this doesn't happen overnight, and much of it comes down to the work done behind the scenes and like it or not they have embraced the modern game and all that comes with.

Essentially you can throw the old game out of the window, it's clubs that are managed well behind the scenes that will succeed moving forward and not necessarily anything to do with being well backed, just because a club spends big it doesn't always result in success on the pitch, absolutely no reason to begrudge smaller clubs finding success in the EFL if they have integrated the right structure from top to bottom, they've deserved it.
    Cheers for that mate. A good read. As others have said the best read on the board - for me anyway. Although I do like maggies obscure stats.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    While we will have a bigger budget than them, I don’t think it will be anywhere near as much as you might guess given their crowds. They’re very well funded. What the long term point of it all is when no one goes to watch them, I have no idea!
    That's a difficult one. It's within the realms of possibility that a League 2 game between Boreham Wood and Harrogate could take place next season in front of around 750 fans. On the same day, Notts could be playing Wrexham in the division below in front of way more than ten times that number. For me that gives an ideal example as to why we need to reduce the bottleneck and provide an extra promotion place from the National League. On the one hand if Boreham Wood get more points than us they deserve to go up, on the other hand the EFL would be much stronger if us or Wrexham went up rather than Boreham Wood. Make your own mind up.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast