+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Boreham Wood

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    BW, formed post war, are a somewhat schizophrenic club going by their final league positions, both in the 5th and 6th tiers since they entered into the NL/Conference the season after we'd gone up under Munto. If this pattern continues they could well be battling the drop to tier 6 next season if they don't go up this.

5th tier
    2020/21 - 14th/23
    2019/20 - 5th/24
    2018/19 - 20th/24
    2017/18 - 4th/24 pof
    2016/17 - 11th/24
    2015/16 - 19th/24

6th tier
    2014/15 - 2nd/21 WON POF
    2013/14 - 13th/22
    2012/13 - 9th/22
    2011/12 - 8th/22
    2010/11 - 14th/22

Sutton Utd go back a lot further and were a top half 5th tier club around the time of their famous FA Cup win against 1st tier Coventry in 1989, but I'd still expect them to hit a ceiling and crash back down again eventually, ditto Harrogate. Look at Yeovil, went all the way up to tier 2 and now a non-league side again, Macc Town and Rushden both had their day in the 3rd tier and ended up going out of business. Burton are the biggest success story of a club that size, but that still might end in tears yet.
    Let's hope so, back where they belong, along with Fleetwood Stevenage and the rest

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Let's hope so, back where they belong, along with Fleetwood Stevenage and the rest
    Stevenage finished the curtailed 2019/20 season with a PPG of 0.61 and only stayed up because of Bury folding.

0.61!!! That's lower than any team who lost their league place in all of the seasons we've spent in the 4th tier this century. We went down in 2019 with a PPG of 0.89.

Look at Yeovil, went all the way up to tier 2 and now a non-league side again.
    True, but the way they went up to tier 2 is well worth revisiting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI-RO51QMf8

Stevenage finished the curtailed 2019/20 season with a PPG of 0.61 and only stayed up because of Bury folding.
    They actually finished bottom of the league with that abysmal record even after Bury had folded and only stayed up because Macclesfield had a big points reduction that put them bottom. So it took the demise of TWO clubs to save them, which must rank as the luckiest escape in league history.

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    They actually finished bottom of the league with that abysmal record even after Bury had folded and only stayed up because Macclesfield had a big points reduction that put them bottom. So it took the demise of TWO clubs to save them, which must rank as the luckiest escape in league history.
    We're not really in a position to moan about lucky escapes, are we?

Well I can't remember us ever avoiding relegation because two other clubs went bust

Well I can't remember us ever avoiding relegation because two other clubs went bust
    Was it the season after we went down Macc got a points deduction for continual non/late payment of wages? Meks you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    True, but the way they went up to tier 2 is well worth revisiting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI-RO51QMf8
    Very much worth revisiting I'd say. I never got bored of watching that.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Was it the season after we went down Macc got a points deduction for continual non/late payment of wages? Meks you think?
    Yes it was and yes it does. Macclesfield were deducted a total of 17 points for a variety of atrocities that season, turning their PPG from 0.97 (which would have had them finishing in 22nd place) to 0.51, which put them 24th and into the only relegation spot that season (due to League 1 Bury going bust).

There had been talk of them getting points deducted the season before, which may well have saved us from relegation, but of course it didn't happen (not that we deserved it of course). But Stevenage, the jammy barstewards, were saved because of the demise of two other clubs, despite the fact that they only won three games that season. But hey ho, nobody said life was going to be fair.

Yes it was and yes it does. Macclesfield were deducted a total of 17 points for a variety of atrocities that season, turning their PPG from 0.97 (which would have had them finishing in 22nd place) to 0.51, which put them 24th and into the only relegation spot that season (due to League 1 Bury going bust).

There had been talk of them getting points deducted the season before, which may well have saved us from relegation, but of course it didn't happen (not that we deserved it of course). But Stevenage, the jammy barstewards, were saved because of the demise of two other clubs, despite the fact that they only won three games that season. But hey ho, nobody said life was going to be fair.
    It does make you think. However perhaps as we did get relegated we became a more affordable option for the Brothers who perhaps might not have acquired us if we did get relegated and then gawd knows.....

Personally if I had my time towards the end of that season again I would like to think we would have worked a bit harder in certain games that we lost points but in terms of ownership and where we are at now I wouldn't change much at all. We are on the way back up. Imagine if Hardy had sold us to that fraud guy Kowapunga or whatever he was called. He would of if he could of because at the time he was desperate. We've come a hell of a long way since then.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast