+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Boreham Wood

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    Yes it was and yes it does. Macclesfield were deducted a total of 17 points for a variety of atrocities that season, turning their PPG from 0.97 (which would have had them finishing in 22nd place) to 0.51, which put them 24th and into the only relegation spot that season (due to League 1 Bury going bust).

There had been talk of them getting points deducted the season before, which may well have saved us from relegation, but of course it didn't happen (not that we deserved it of course). But Stevenage, the jammy barstewards, were saved because of the demise of two other clubs, despite the fact that they only won three games that season. But hey ho, nobody said life was going to be fair.
    Wonder if we will form part of Derby's defence against Wycombe? "Well Notts didn't sue anyone?" Saying that, we were also a financial basket case. I'm starting to think relegation from league 2 is now based on finance? Probably a reason why clubs going up into league 2 generally due well? They have their ducks in a row generally whilst those at the bottom are in financial meltdown?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 21-01-2022 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Typos fixed

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    It does make you think. Imagine if Hardy had sold us to that fraud guy Kowapunga or whatever he was called.
    Bart Simpson???

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Wonder if we will form part of Derby's defense against Wycombe? "Well Notts didn't sue anyone?" Saying that, we were also a financial basket case. I'm starting to think relegation from league 2 is now based on fiance? Probably a reason why clubs going up into league 2 generally due well? They have their ducks in a row generally whilst those at the bottom are in financial meltdown?
    Speaking of Wycombe, they are the one major success story of a club that few had ever heard of being promoted from non-league and becoming part of the furniture*. They've only once finished in the bottom 9 of the 4th tier in 27 years since coming up and I think, if they go up this season, would be the first non-league club - having been promoted into the FL - to get promoted into the 2nd tier on two separate occasions. Very distinctive kit as well and a nice badge, unlike all of those other clubs we've mentioned who all play in red.

Seems absolutely bonkers that Blackpool don't have great crowds despite their incredible history and they are now having to compete with Fleetwood and to a lesser extent Fylde for bums on seats. I do wonder if those two clubs benefitted form Oyston's time at the Tangerines and the boycotts. Fleetwood might be on their way back down though now after peaking at 4th in tier 3. I hope we get to play them again because we currently have a 100% loss rate against them, the only club in our entire history that we have a zero PPG record for.

*Wigan, Wimbledon, Oxford and Posh etc. were all elected rather than promoted of course.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Bart Simpson???

Mercifully Hardy showed him the Butterfinger.

It does make you think. However perhaps as we did get relegated we became a more affordable option for the Brothers who perhaps might not have acquired us if we did get relegated and then gawd knows.....

Personally if I had my time towards the end of that season again I would like to think we would have worked a bit harder in certain games that we lost points but in terms of ownership and where we are at now I wouldn't change much at all. We are on the way back up. Imagine if Hardy had sold us to that fraud guy Kowapunga or whatever he was called. He would of if he could of because at the time he was desperate. We've come a hell of a long way since then.
    The worse thing was probably Hardy taking us over, did he save us from liquidation, not sure. It was a vanity project for him, he was deeply out his depth, so was Nolan as a manager, but this happens everywhere in football.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    The worse thing was probably Hardy taking us over, did he save us from liquidation, not sure. It was a vanity project for him, he was deeply out his depth, so was Nolan as a manager, but this happens everywhere in football.
    After 39 league & play off games, the amount Burchnall has now had in charge, Nolan's PPG was 1.82. He left with 1.53, still one of the highest we've had at that level, so I don't think it would be fair to say he was out his depth. Yes it ended badly, but that's true for almost all managers unless they are poached. To finish 16th after looking dead certs for the drop and then go on to finish 5th the following season was pretty good going. If he'd left for another club before the start of the 2018/19 season and not overseen the next 5 games then he'd almost certainly be considered one of our better managers.

We shouldn't be leaving Darren Fletcher out of the equation either, who was overseeing recruitment that summer.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Bart Simpson???

Funny.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    It was very much a vanity project. Nolan just went off the rails. He started off fine as we all know. Literally as soon as the big red face interviews started appearing and his tracksuit pants started becoming a lot tighter results deteriorated rapidly as well. I wonder if there was any truth in the rumours that Hardy met with Nolan with a view to reappointing him after the Kewell debacle. I was personally disappointed he didn't work out as I was hoping for a pre season tour of Australia! Another one who has shown his true colours since and will never manage at a decent level in the UK again. God we had some rubbish at the club.

It was very much a vanity project. Nolan just went off the rails. He started off fine as we all know. Literally as soon as the big red face interviews started appearing and his tracksuit pants started becoming a lot tighter results deteriorated rapidly as well.
    This^^^

Nolo did OK with the system he employed, but once we failed in the P/O's and Hardy got involved in player recruitment Nolo's ''vices'' got the better of him. Shame really, but there you go.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456