+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Would You...

Would You...

...support/watch a Derby County 'phoenix club'?

Yes or no, and what would be your conditions

It's a bit phoenix night at the moment!
    Yes I would.
    Could never support a non DCFC club, and would lose all interest in professional football.

Yes...but I don’t think we’ll need to.

Fingers crossed a resolution can be found but if not then deffo!!

Yes. A resurrected club would get my support. Having said that, I am not convinced I would be as heavily invested, emotionally, as I am with DCFC. The past week or two has been a nightmare. We all love the club, except of course for our pet Red Dog, but it's only been the last few days where it's hit home just how much a part of me DCFC is, how deep the love of my club is. The depth of it has surprised even me. I am now 99% certain I'll be at the Brum game.

yes, would be fun being the underdog in FA Cup ties away at Crawley or Sutton United

but equally to the point, would this forum become the Derby City Phoenixes forum? Unless of course unless newco can acquire the old name
    Last edited by Geoff Parkstone; 20-01-2022 at 01:37 PM.

Derby Catch 22?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    yes, would be fun being the underdog in FA Cup ties away at Crawley or Sutton United

but equally to the point, would this forum become the Derby City Phoenixes forum? Unless of course unless newco can acquire the old name
    GP, you tend to be across economics. Im looking at the Rangers situation, where they (effectively a brand new entity) were only demoted three divisions because it was clear that the economics of 45,000 support would enable a team so well funded it would make a mockery of things if plonked into a much lower league - in fact it was like that the first two years even from SFL3. I’m mulling over whether The sanctioning body would dare to put New Derby in their ‘proper’ place (step 6?) if support remained at, let’s say, 20,000. With a reasonable stadium lease deal New Derby could recruit a team that would demolish all before it, making EFL etc look a bit daft. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    GP, you tend to be across economics. Im looking at the Rangers situation, where they (effectively a brand new entity) were only demoted three divisions because it was clear that the economics of 45,000 support would enable a team so well funded it would make a mockery of things if plonked into a much lower league - in fact it was like that the first two years even from SFL3. I’m mulling over whether The sanctioning body would dare to put New Derby in their ‘proper’ place (step 6?) if support remained at, let’s say, 20,000. With a reasonable stadium lease deal New Derby could recruit a team that would demolish all before it, making EFL etc look a bit daft. Am I missing something?
    You're not missing anything, as like you say. At least 20 000 would still push the club along.
    But this is the EFL we are talking about.
    They are capable of anything.

I didn't really follow the Scotch league/Rangers thing that closely but they appeared to walk through the league's on the way back from purgatory and enjoyed "home games away". Plus I think they had a shed load of money ??

For sure tier 10 grounds would struggle to hold 500 away rams, let alone 5000+, so National North might be a workable landing spot. How quickly we could assemble a team to run the leagues I'm not so sure. But we'd have the best academy in tier 6 to draw on! We should reckon on being back in championship by 2030 and then the problems start again as PL gold may lure, if it's still around.

By 2030 the breakaway Euroleague will have happened and the economic landscape will be quite different. I also imagine the league will be independently regulated and parachute payments reined in to allow some sort of equality.

What we find when we get back from the abyss, who knows, but hopefully Middlesbro will be there to beat on the way to League 2 after their impending FFP crisis that they want us to pay for.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)