+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magpie Circle with The National League's Mark Ives

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    That was my experience, I found it soul destroying. Fair play anyone who can stomach over an hour of that needlessly measured delivery.

Hope that those who stuck with it heard a few gems for this box office interview with the NL man.
    Any chance you can summarise to save me an hour of my life that I'll never get back?

You're generally quite good at summarising so I was hoping for a favour?!

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Any chance you can summarise to save me an hour of my life that I'll never get back?

You're generally quite good at summarising so I was hoping for a favour?!
    Sorry QLD I can't, I gave up on Magpie Circle and the host's presenting style awhile back.

I'm not losing anymore of my life to Mace's long drawn out questions of points of view. Surely someone who has watched it can suggest the highlight or revealing insight from his guest?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Sorry QLD I can't, I gave up on Magpie Circle and the host's presenting style awhile back.

I'm not losing anymore of my life to Mace's long drawn out questions of points of view. Surely someone who has watched it can suggest the highlight or revealing insight from his guest?
    The only thing worth a mention in the whole shebang was that the NL were looking to the FL to implement a 3 up 3 down system asap and that he was ''hopeful'', it would happen in the ''short term'', rather than being years down the line. The rest, mehhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    The only thing worth a mention in the whole shebang was that the NL were looking to the FL to implement a 3 up 3 down system asap and that he was ''hopeful'', it would happen in the ''short term'', rather than being years down the line. The rest, mehhhhhh.
    I'm a big fan of an extra promotion place, and not just because it would benefit us. The National League is now a definite Division 5, and while it lacks strength in depth I honestly think that not only are the top 6 in the NL better than the bottom 6 in League 2, they also have far more potential for progression thereby strengthening the EFL.

Another thing the EFL should do is adopt the NL format for playoffs. It rewards those who have performed better over a full season rather than all teams starting equal even though the team finishing 3rd may have earned 20 more points than the team finishing 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I'm a big fan of an extra promotion place, and not just because it would benefit us. The National League is now a definite Division 5, and while it lacks strength in depth I honestly think that not only are the top 6 in the NL better than the bottom 6 in League 2, they also have far more potential for progression thereby strengthening the EFL.

Another thing the EFL should do is adopt the NL format for playoffs. It rewards those who have performed better over a full season rather than all teams starting equal even though the team finishing 3rd may have earned 20 more points than the team finishing 6th.
    I think everyone can agree a extra promotion place is needed. Not only for the benefit of the National League but also for the benefit of League 2. With an extra place to go down you will force more teams to give a sh*t towards the end of the season.

I don't agree with the playoff format though, much prefer the EFL format & also don't think a team finishing 8th (if there was a extra automatic place) should get a shot at going up.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncingoffthewalls View Post
    I don't agree with the playoff format though, much prefer the EFL format & also don't think a team finishing 8th (if there was a extra automatic place) should get a shot at going up.
    Why shouldn't the team in 8th place get a shot at going up? The team in 7th place in League 2 gets a shot at going up and even though they may have finished way behind the team finishing 4th, then they start on level terms. Here the team finishing 7th has to win two away games and the final to go up, while the team in 3rd only has to win a home game and the final. That reflects their efforts over the season much fairer than wiping the slate clean. One of the few things the NL have got right is the playoff system.

Why shouldn't the team in 8th place get a shot at going up? The team in 7th place in League 2 gets a shot at going up and even though they may have finished way behind the team finishing 4th, then they start on level terms. Here the team finishing 7th has to win two away games and the final to go up, while the team in 3rd only has to win a home game and the final. That reflects their efforts over the season much fairer than wiping the slate clean. One of the few things the NL have got right is the playoff system.
    Play-off for 8th place team is great if you finish 8th! I think the NL method is better though overall.

Not sure that the 3 up and 3 down would help that much with unblocking the NL as it would have more ex EFL teams trying to get out.

As an old fart, I have never agreed with the concept of playoffs. Promotion should be based on league places.

In my view 8th is and even 7th really is too far down to be getting a shot at going up.

I'd like to see across all leagues having 3 going up & down, with 2 automatic places and 4 for playoffs being played over two legs.

Would be interesting to see the stats to see how often the top placed team in the playoffs for the normal style of playoffs goes up. Had a quick look and for the 4 seasons the current format has been in place in the National League, twice the 2nd place team has gone up, once 3rd place and one for fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncingoffthewalls View Post
    In my view 8th is and even 7th really is too far down to be getting a shot at going up.

I'd like to see across all leagues having 3 going up & down, with 2 automatic places and 4 for playoffs being played over two legs.

Would be interesting to see the stats to see how often the top placed team in the playoffs for the normal style of playoffs goes up. Had a quick look and for the 4 seasons the current format has been in place in the National League, twice the 2nd place team has gone up, once 3rd place and one for fourth.
    Even then, IMHAHO, 3rd and 4th deserve an advantage because they finished higher in the league. 3rd playing 6th at home in a single leg and 4th playing 5th likewise. I honestly think the NL method is fairer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast