+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal v Burnley Match Preview

Arsenal v Burnley Match Preview

No Barnes (Out of Action), No Wood (Out of the Door) and with no Cornet (Out in Africa) Burnley are wafer (pun intended) thin up top. If Vydra is ruled out with Covid then “Barebones Burnley” will start with Lennon and Rodriguez up top. Squad injuries are hard to assess but I would certainly hope that both Collins and Roberts would start if fit. The poor performance in the FA Cup against Huddersfield really dictates that changes are made. We simply cannot go on as we are.

The good news is that although we are now bottom of the league we have not been cut adrift. The bad news is we must win our games in hand and the form book says we are incapable of that. The League table makes strange reading at the bottom. Norwich, who inflicted another hugely damaging defeat on a faltering Watford side on Friday evening, moved out of the drop zone with 16 points from 22 games. They have a five point advantage over Burnley but have played five more games. Newcastle travel to Leeds United on Saturday in another crucial relegation fixture.

Arsenal come to this game on the back of a Carabao Cup semi-final second leg defeat at home to Liverpool. They are however well placed to achieve a top four finish in the League and will be confident of completing a league double over Burnley this season having secured a narrow 1-0 win at Turf Moor in September courtesy of Martin Odegaard’s well struck free kick. For the return festivities at the Emirates Thomas Partey will not be coming to the party having been sent off against Liverpool and Granit Xhaka is likewise suspended. Elneny and Pepe are still out at the Africa Cup of Nations with Egypt and Ivory Coast respectively while Aubameyang with health and club disciplinary problems is unlikely to feature against the Clarets. Calum Chambers is injured with Cedric Soares also doubtful. Arsenal may well start with a front three of Lacazette, Martinelli and Saka. Smith Rowe provides a further attacking option for the Gunners.

Burnley who have not played since their disappointing Cup defeat to Huddersfield will be keen to get one of their games in hand out of the way. A victory for the Clarets ,however unlikely that may seem with so many dark clouds on the horizon, would be a huge boost to their efforts to beat the drop. The match referee is David Coote with Chris Kavanagh on VAR. Light cloud and light winds are forecast for London N7 on Sunday afternoon and let us hope Burnley bring some sunshine to the proceedings. COYC!

Thank you outwood. I think even the most optimistic optimist at his cheerful best couldn't see us getting anything here.

It's time to plot next season's rail journeys methinks Mr outwood.

Bristol, Nottingham and Rotherham are all accessible by train.

1-2 victory over the Gunners!! COYC! ��

In a normal season I would see this as a game we would expect to lose. The Emirates is not a happy hunting ground for BFC.

This season, I think it is even less likely that we will get anything. The defence will not be able to keep Arsenal out for 90 minutes. If the goalkeeper and the defence for Arsenal go home, we would still not score.

I think the key match will be against Watford. If we lose that, then I think the writing is on the wall.

Maybe if Ranieri is sacked Watford will poach Dyche and we will be facing “Dycheball” and them hoofing it up the pitch!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    It's time to plot next season's rail journeys methinks Mr outwood.

Bristol, Nottingham and Rotherham are all accessible by train.
    And for me: Bournemouth (if they stay down), Reading (if they stay up) and Pompey (if they go up!)

thanks outwood.

my pal and Arsenal fan....cannot win against his pal and Burnley fan - and thats all there is to it !

Pompey won’t be going up, but you have a chance with the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

thanks outwood.

my pal and Arsenal fan....cannot win against his pal and Burnley fan - and thats all there is to it !

Thanks Norder. This could be a rough second half of the season.

A hard earned point!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)