+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Forest Green post match

Forest Green post match

Men against boys?? Footabllers against have beens or never will bes. FG a good team. CUFC!!??

Howard 5
    Senior 7 (the only one to acquit himself)
    Armer 4
    Macdonald 4
    Guy 3
    Dickenson 3
    Mellish 4
    Feeny 4
    Patrick 4
    Omotoye 3
    Gibson 3

Alessandra 4
    Clough 3
    Fishburn 4

The Manager has to take a lot of the blame for that.

How many times does he have to see Mellish alongside Guy in central midfield before he realises it doesn't work.

If everyone else can see that why can't he?

I’d give marks, but I think that some might be upset by the minus figures. I agree that Senior stood out amongst the dross, and Howard received less and less cover as the game went on. Mellish is National League North level, just a battering ram and better forward than in midfield. Dickenson is a reasonable player playing as an average player. He does some things well and could be even better if he got better service. I think that he gets criticism because he’s always trying to clear up because of poor balls into him. He also has a spark that others are missing. Armer has had two average games running now and needs an arm around his shoulder because he’s better than this. Guy blows hot and cold, he has skill but is constantly having to clear up after mistakes by the others and especially Mellish. Up front Omotoye can piss of to the National League with Mellish. Clough clearly has issues and I’d be surprised if he needed a shower today. He must never wear the shirt again. If it’s true that he’s one of our highest earners then he should go this window. Fishburn - see Mellish and Omotoye. Allessandra is better now that before he got injured but rusty. More pitch-time please. Riley needs a chance.

Millen - 3

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    I’d give marks, but I think that some might be upset by the minus figures. I agree that Senior stood out amongst the dross, and Howard received less and less cover as the game went on. Mellish is National League North level, just a battering ram and better forward than in midfield. Dickenson is a reasonable player playing as an average player. He does some things well and could be even better if he got better service. I think that he gets criticism because he’s always trying to clear up because of poor balls into him. He also has a spark that others are missing. Armer has had two average games running now and needs an arm around his shoulder because he’s better than this. Guy blows hot and cold, he has skill but is constantly having to clear up after mistakes by the others and especially Mellish. Up front Omotoye can piss of to the National League with Mellish. Clough clearly has issues and I’d be surprised if he needed a shower today. He must never wear the shirt again. If it’s true that he’s one of our highest earners then he should go this window. Fishburn - see Mellish and Omotoye. Allessandra is better now that before he got injured but rusty. More pitch-time please. Riley needs a chance.

Millen - 3
    We were doing OK with Whelan and Guy in central midfield. So why change it to accomodate Mellish?

I was joking recently when I suggested he must have a clause in his contract guaranteeing him a game. However I am seriously beginning to wonder.

The problem is that when he plays in central midfield he spoils our game. His inability to control the ball quickly and pick a pass means that Guy tries to by-pass him. When Whelan or Devine play alongside Guy we play football through the midfield instead of punting hopeful balls forward.

People say Mellish is better further forward but the sad reality is that he isn't good enough to play there either.

If you have a poor first touch at professional level you will struggle in any position.

Mellish must have some compromising photos of a board member tucked away, surely? He’s always on the move and tries to take every ball at speed and it bounces off him, usually to the opposition. With the ball at his feet he’s ok especially attacking the penalty area but usually lose the ball because he doesn’t have a pass and he doesn’t have the nouse to win penalties. A simple question. What is Mellish for?

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    A simple question. What is Mellish for?
    According to Keith Millen (after Hartlepool match):

“I spoke to Jon today because I felt that Tuesday was his best game since I’ve been at the club.

The reason I say that is because his running stats are unbelievable, he’s by far running the furthest distance and doing the most sprints.

I felt against Hartlepool there was more discipline and structure to his game. He ran as far as he usually does when he’s been playing further forward, because he works so hard and covers so much distance.

When you look at how effective he was in his running and how many chances or goals he created, I thought Tuesday was his most effective game.

He had a bit of discipline to his efforts and he ran at the right times. He still got into goal scoring areas, he was better on the ball, and he had two or three chances in the second half.

We know he can run all day, he does over 12km in distance covered every game, it’s more about how effective he is for the team, and I felt he really added that.”

So in the managers eyes, his place in the team seems to be justified by the fact that he runs further than anyone else and sprints more than anyone else.

To me this is strange logic, but presumably KM hopes that with further coaching JM will learn to run "at the right times" and be "effective" on a more regular basis.

Let's hope he is right.

Mellish isn’t a thinking player, he’s a blunt object.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)