+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 2008 FA Cup Campaign

2008 FA Cup Campaign

WBA , Barnsley , Cardiff and Portsmouth in the last four .

You'd never get that again , what an opportunity we both missed to meet each other in the FA Cup FInal .

You were well capable of beating Pompey in your Semi Final and we were certainty capable of beating Cardiff after putting out Liverpool and Chelsea in ours .

What's your guys memories of that FA cup run ? .

Were you as gutted as I was walking away from Wembley after your Semi Final .

I knew we'd never have another opportunity again in my lifetime .

Portsmouth "stole" that cup.

Financial meltdown for them shortly after that win, they bust their club to win that pot and they weren't very good either.

Also robbed by an offside goal from 63 year Kanu.

In fairness the Pompey fans were classy after the game, unlike those t w a t s from Derby County when we lost the play off final.

It was hard not to like them and wish them well which many of us did.

I feel we'd have won it if we'd made the final with the side we had then compared to Cardiff.

There was also a ‘handball’ in the lead up to the Portsmouth goal.

The Portsmouth fans we encountered weren’t that friendly

2 years at Wembley on the trot but seeing us lose 1-0 both times was pretty crappy

Thought we did well against Pompey they had way better players, remember Koren going close think he hit the woodwork, but maybe wrong

good times and great football back in the day,, agree it was our best chance of getting to a major final, and Pompey having all these players but the following year having unpaid bills with the local newsagent and sall local companies as well as major creditors sticks in the back of the throat as being totally unfair tbh
    They clearly were spending money they didn't have

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    There was also a ‘handball’ in the lead up to the Portsmouth goal.
    You’re right Kets, I think it was a handball rather than an offside.

We were the better side in the first half against Portsmouth .... very unlucky to lose to that scrappy Kanu goal. I remember a warm, sunny day and the Pompey fans were Ok afterwards, Unlike the cold, damp, miserable day we lost against Derby and their gloating sc*mb*g fans afterwards ...never forget that day and the massive disappointment ....

It was that scumbag Baros who hand balled it to set it up for Kanu.

Even if we had met Barnsley in the final our luck would have meant that you would have beat us again in the final.

It’s because of this match and this match alone I still spit fire and venom when I hear the name Howard Webb.

He gave us nothing and EVERYTHING to Pompey, probably succumbed to the charms of ‘Arry’ and wanted to keep in favour.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)