+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Sheridan

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    Nope !

You are forgetting Luton Town...
    I thought that Luton came down with Notts in the 91/92 season just before the Premier League was formed,they might have got promoted back though?

Luton have never been in the Premier League

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/list...remier-league/

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Notts County- relegated from 1st tier 1992, dropped into 5th tier 2019
    Luton Town - relegated from 1st tier 1992, dropped into 5th tier 2009
    Oxford United - relegated from 1st tier 1988, dropped into 5th tier 2006
    Grimsby Town - relegated from 1st tier 1948, dropped into 5th tier 2010
    Bury - relegated from 1st tier 1929, expelled from the FL 2019
    Bradford Park Avenue - relegated from 1st tier 1921, founder members of 6th tier North in 2004
    I think Carlisle belong in that list - relegated from 1st tier 1975, dropped into 5th tier 2004.

They went up from the Conference at the first attempt, and topped League 2 the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I think Carlisle belong in that list - relegated from 1st tier 1975, dropped into 5th tier 2004.

They went up from the Conference at the first attempt, and topped League 2 the following season.
    Yes you're right, so that's five clubs who've been top flight post war who've dropped as far as tier 5. Two of them currently in tier 5 with the strong possibility of a 6th club joining them.
    If the promotion/relegation places were increased, so would the likelihood of more clubs experiencing the extremes. Burnley spring to mind as going very close, former 1st tier champions no less. Current PL outfit Brighton barely survived as well, 23rd in tier 4 two seasons running.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Yes you're right, so that's five clubs who've been top flight post war who've dropped as far as tier 5. Two of them currently in tier 5 with the strong possibility of a 6th club joining them.
    If the promotion/relegation places were increased, so would the likelihood of more clubs experiencing the extremes. Burnley spring to mind as going very close, former 1st tier champions no less. Current PL outfit Brighton barely survived as well, 23rd in tier 4 two seasons running.
    Northampton had a season in Div 1 in the late 60's and escaped in Div 4 by the skin of their teeth when they finished 23rd in 72/73 and 84/85 and 22nd in 81/82.

Presumably saved by being re-elected.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Northampton had a season in Div 1 in the late 60's and escaped in Div 4 by the skin of their teeth when they finished 23rd in 72/73 and 84/85 and 22nd in 81/82.

Presumably saved by being re-elected.
    Yes, re-elected, and they probably could have done a fair bit worse and still avoided being kicked out by virtue of their location. With the exception of Gillingham in 1938, every club booted out post First World War was either from the North or Wales.

I don't know if I should be surprised by this or not, but only four clubs who have ever got promoted into the 4th tier have not climbed any higher before crashing back down or going bust.....

BOSTON UTD 2006/07
    KIDDERMINSTER 2004/05
    SCARBOROUGH 1998/99
    MAIDSTONE UTD 1991/92

There's currently four members of League Two who have never played at a higher level, two of them however are currently occupying an auto-promotion place....

FOREST GREEN
    HARROGATE T.
    SALFORD CITY
    SUTTON UTD

If my memory serves correctly, Oldham and York went up with us from Div 4 in 1971, Jimmy’s first promotion. If Oldham go down all three will have lost league status, York more than once I think. Hopefully one will be returning!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123