+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Eddie the Eagle wannabe?/Winter Olympics

O/T Eddie the Eagle wannabe?/Winter Olympics

Congratulations to Dave Ryding for becoming the first British man to win an Alpine Skiing World Cup Gold in the slalom at Kitzbuhel at the age of 35. You have to go all the way back to 1981 when Konrad Bartelski claimed our previous best, second in the downhill at Val Gardena. It seems like only yesterday that David Vine was describing that achievement with incredulity on Ski Sunday.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/60097540

Like all other British sporting heroes he'll have his nationality questioned on here though due to the fact he was born on the wrong side of the Pennines

Good luck in the upcoming Olympics Dave.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 14-02-2022 at 06:36 PM.

He's a lot better than Eddie the Eagle to be fair.

Anybody that straps two planks to their feet and then propels themselves down a snow covered hill has my deepest admiration

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    He's a lot better than Eddie the Eagle to be fair.
    I realise that GF but if I'd put up a post entitled Well done Dave Ryding, most would have ignored it (a bit like this one then )

Great achievement

Sure Conrad Was Canadian who qualified for GB as a result of his love of fish and chips or something

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Great achievement

Sure Conrad Was Canadian who qualified for GB as a result of his love of fish and chips or something
    Born in London. English Mum, Polish Dad. Educated in the Netherlands. Far too cosmopolitan to be a pure Brit

I do believe a Jamaican is going to the Winter Olympics as a down hill skier.

Just flicking through the TV channels and whats on? Eddie the Eagle story/ film….. spooky.

Dave Ryding’s victory has just been on ski Sunday
    Incredible victory

I player if anyone wants to see it. Shown within first 15 mins of program

Are we in danger of matching our Eurovision exploits at these Winter Olympics?

In all honesty though I never realised how sparse our medal hauls were in the winter games? I took a look back almost 50 years, all the way to when we seemed to be at the forefront of the ice skating events with the likes of Curry, Cousins, Torville and Dean and we typically only get 1-2 medals and have had two 'nil points' events in 1988 (Calgary) and 1988 (Albertville). Flattered to deceive in the last 2 though with 5 medals. Is it time to stop funding these lot who are really just out on the piste?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast