+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MB

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post
    we are 4 points off the top half of the table, 7 points off the bottom 3, ok, not as good as last season, but staying up for me is good enough this year, keep building slowly, next season, the kids will be 1 year older too, seems to me thats where we are investing, so we have to trust in the plan.
    Its ok for WTF to play fantasy football, but we must understand, the game has moved on incredibly fast, we shop at ASDA, whilst its not poundland, its not marks&sparks either. Buying players in the 20-30M bracket is a gamble, sometimes it pays off, sometimes you get lemons. Reality is required. top 6 players cost 50-100M.
    Agree.

I'll just add;
    Movement of significant sums of money between countries, from one currency into another, there are also some hidden variables which can make a serious impact on the figures involved when contemplating transfers negotiations & terms of payment.

Players from America or Europe, even merchandise sales in the Far East, any sponsorship deals in America/Europe, the money involved is always at the mercy of fluctuating exchange rates.

So for Rad & co - quite a few issues managing club risk balanced with the right kind of hedging funds in place for sure.

Anyone who is involved in moving large sums of money internationally should consider a complete 'health check’ when it comes to their approach to foreign exchange rates at the moment - January window not exactly 'massive' world wide is it regarding player movement.

But bear in mind we don’t pay all the money up front and for FFP if it is a four year contract we can amortise the transfer fee over the four years.

We decided at the start of the season on an investment strategy to keep us up and lay the foundation for the coming years and we may want better but if we cement the foundations to stay in the PL for 5 to 10 years then Insuspext most of us will be happy with that.

I just can't understand the Roberts thing. We needed a striker on the pitch, Joffys on the bench, so common sense would put him on for Rodrigo, who was woeful. But not in MB's head. Roberts lost the ball twice in 2 seconds for that goal. MB then takes Klich off and keeps Rodrigo on??? Klich is fed up with MB.

Before we talk about transfer fees, blood sucking agents & the pointlessness of pundits like Sky's Jim White let's consider why clubs give longer contracts out to younger players who often some 'supporters' don't rate for variety of reason. Terms of business, acquisitions & depreciation all come into play Hopey.

Simply put so we can agree;

1. A transfer is what happens when a player who is under contract with one club moves to another one.

2. The player’s registration details transfer from one association football club to another, hence the term ‘transfer’ being used.

3. Usually the buying club pays the selling club an amount of money as compensation for the selling club losing the player and their services, with this being referred to generally as a ‘transfer fee’.

Players position explanation;

The transfer or compensation paid by a club doesn’t always have to have a straight monetary value either. In some cases clubs 'might offer' another player in exchange for the one they’re trying to buy, perhaps with money on top of that.

The player they’re offering doesn’t have to agree to the move,of course, & the selling club might not want him, but he can also be offered to a host of clubs to enable money to come in to secure a wanted target regardless.

Any buying club can also agree to reach an amount of money through what are known as ‘add-ons’ - any Leeds Utd player could find himself in either situation & many still do but if under a contract they have the choice to say NO & battle for a team place OR await a phone call from an Agent stating a 'interest' has been made in them & matters may or may not escalate.

Good, young, often international players tied to contracts are also a great selling point for football Owners wanting to sell clubs - like any business depreciation & acquisition is an important balancing act & everything has a sell by date price, even footballers.

If anyone is naive enough to think that 25 year-old international footballers are happy not to be in the starting eleven then your missing the point of what I've just tried to explain.

But, suppose we've got the 2 week-break to get more heated discussions going.

Everyone appreciates what bielsa has done, he's been our best manager since revie, but yesterday's desicion to bring on Roberts instead of joffy was incredible, I hated the championship, and pray we have enough to stay up, I'm happy to just survive this season, especially with the horrific injury list we've had, and still have, but I to have hated this season, last season was enjoyable, I feel sick every game and just want it to be over, there's no fun in that. I hope we pull it off to not be sweating with 2 or 3 games to go, as I don't think we have the nerve or fight to dig in and battle.

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    Everyone appreciates what bielsa has done, he's been our best manager since revie, but yesterday's desicion to bring on Roberts instead of joffy was incredible, I hated the championship, and pray we have enough to stay up, I'm happy to just survive this season, especially with the horrific injury list we've had, and still have, but I to have hated this season, last season was enjoyable, I feel sick every game and just want it to be over, there's no fun in that. I hope we pull it off to not be sweating with 2 or 3 games to go, as I don't think we have the nerve or fight to dig in and battle.
    He sees it as he sees it.

MT point about transfers is that we can afford to buy quality players we chose not to - that is not down to one single person but the collective of the board and Orta together with MB not being unhappy about it.

Listen to AKs pre season interviews and it was always going to be that way.

If you listen to what MB is saying about the younger players he doesn’t want to put too much pressure on them too early

H- Agree, but publically & internally statements always put the club first & quite rightly but players agents

MB 'answers to local Leeds YEP journalist' after Newcastle match - in case anyone missed it.

"It was a game to show our differences, to have some consistency and it was a very important opportunity that we couldn't take advantage of," he said at full-time.

"We had many moments to unbalance the game. We could unbalance them a lot but we couldn't convert. Normally in the games where you could score and you don't, some detail unbalances the game against you. I have the sensation that that's what happened. Even if in the last 15 minutes we failed to create enough danger, prior to that we had done sufficiently to be ahead."

"We could pick the final pass, whether it be from out wide or through the centre. In the closing of the game we were lacking clarity. We lost the capacity to go on the outside. I swapped Raphinha and Harrison's sides because I saw all the play was going down the left and Raphinha is our most unbalancing player. From there on all the opposite happened. The ball started going down to the right where Raphinha was initially. That prevented us from getting in behind on both sides. Up until that moment we had it down the right but with less balls available. We had it down the left because Harrison was making contributions. After I thought that with Tyler, Rodrigo and Gelhardt we were going to find passes in the box, but it didn't happen. That's why I think in the moment where we had a major offensive, Harrison, Roberts, Gelhardt, Rodrigo and Raphinha, plus the company of Ayling and Dallas, we didn't create sufficient danger."

"I brought on Gelhardt and Tyler to do the role of Rodrigo, but Rodrigo only lost importance toward the end of the game. Given that James was on a caution, I thought that Tyler was on a first step to unbalance the game and that’s how I did it. While Klich was playing well, I preferred to have three players who could score, and because Joffy can nick a goal and Tyler and Rodrigo also had the characteristics of the number nine. But football has those things, we created more chances when we had Klich and James than when Tyler and Gelhardt came on."

Newcastle received a number of cautions for time wasting during the game but Bielsa said it was down to the officials to manage the situation.

"What you signal out was evident, and those in charge have sufficient tools to prevent it," he said.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....chance-3537994

Compared to some of the @@@@@ we had during the Championship years I am happy with Bielsa, I doubt he will stay much longer, he doesn't seem to hang around for long. Once he's gone I am sure we will be reading on here that we long for his return - think of the cra@ that's out there - I'll start the list Rooney, Lampard, Bruce.....

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post
    we are 4 points off the top half of the table, 7 points off the bottom 3, ok, not as good as last season, but staying up for me is good enough this year, keep building slowly, next season, the kids will be 1 year older too, seems to me thats where we are investing, so we have to trust in the plan.
    Its ok for WTF to play fantasy football, but we must understand, the game has moved on incredibly fast, we shop at ASDA, whilst its not poundland, its not marks&sparks either. Buying players in the 20-30M bracket is a gamble, sometimes it pays off, sometimes you get lemons. Reality is required. top 6 players cost 50-100M.

Never miss an opportunity to have a dig huh?

Not quite sure how you come to the conclusion I would like LUFC to indulge in anything other than sensible, cost-effective recruitment? Wasn't it you who jumped feet-first into proclaiming that The Clown, JKA and Rodrigo were all "good bits of business", whilst others (myself included) suggested they were nothing of the sort? Haven't seen any sign from you that you are prepared to admit you were wrong (unlike others, myself included, where Bielsa, Harrison and a couple of others are concerned), shame that.

As for LUFC shopping at Asda (notwithstanding the "good bits of business", including a club record for the guy with no positional sense at all and a fat ar5e), I'm not disagreeing that we have to cut our cloth to suit our pocket, it's just that we don't! Instead we give enhanced contracts to two of the worst players ever to don the shirt, and continually play one who should never set foot on the pitch for Leeds again, and loan the other (who never will) out, madness!

If the club had anything like a fit-for purpose scouting organisation, there have been plenty of players moving between Championship and PL and within the PL, who are far superior to the majority of what has been brought to ER, e.g.

Lookman @ Leicester £8m, Ndidi, also Leicester (arrived for £6m, market value now £54m!!!), Damarai Gray, Everton, arrived in 2021 for £1.8m, mv now £19m, Andros Townsend, Everton, came on a FREE, market value now £6.3m, Benrhama, Spam, £20 (and I'd have him in our squad over Rodrigo ANY day), Cornet, also Everton just £13.5m and makes James look distinctly average, Trossard, Brighton, £15.3m, Maupay also Brighton, £18m, Toney, Brentford, £5m in 2020, market value now £29m (and with his scoring record, is it any wonder!!), and lastly, the lad from Fulham, Carvalho, market value £3.5m and similarly makes James look bang ordinary.

All tried and tested in the PL and/or Championship, all "Asda-price" not Waitrose (or Fortnum & Mason if your Sch1tty, Chelski etc), all have moved clubs in the last 2 -3 years (apart from Carvalho I think), and we didn't even give them a sniff, because our scouting organisation doesn't exist in the UK.
    Last edited by WTF11; 23-01-2022 at 04:03 PM.

after many beers yesterday I look at it this way.

1) if MB leaves now we are likely relegated. the chaos will overcome the talent we have. we are where we are at because of him.

2) we play every game shorthanded when roberts comes on. Many teams can win 10 on 11. Not sure we are good enough to do that but it's how I'm trying to cope.

3) if Phillips comes back this season and we aren't bottom 3 we should be OK. If not and roberts keeps playing we are likely relegated. we don't score much and he's good for 1 goal a game with his screwups.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)