+ Visit Scotland Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Kelty adventures

Kelty adventures

As some of you may know, I am a press photographer and this week I was at the Kelty-St Johnstone Cup game.

Double checking everything before heading to Kelty for the game against St Johnstone; I see the club want press there between 13:00 and 13:15. A bit early for a 15:00 kick off. Double check things with colleagues and 14:30 seems to be acceptable. All Covid forms and procedures taken care of rock up to the gate waiting for the third degree and I just get waved in after saying who I was.

Meet up with fellow photographers for a chat which was nice. I was trying out recently purchased Z6 digital bodies but had brought along the trusty D3s just in case. A bit concerned to see the batteries drop down a bar before kick off (only one battery as I had not bought a battery grip). As no grip, my fingers kept on pressing buttons next to the lens that changed setting – much to my annoyance. Decided to swap bodies to D3s while the game raged on. Missed a couple of shots off the bar but not much else. Much happier with faithful friends in my hands. Catting to crowd (Saints fans) behind me so all going well.

Game goes on and finishes after extra time. This is when the fun begins. Taking pictures of St Johnstone players trooping off after losing and then turn lens on fans who are raging. I become aware of someone shouting. It turns out it was at me – red faced Saints fan saying I am a disgrace taking pictures after the game of unhappy fans. I point out that it is my job and the fans’ reaction is news. Red-faced man sees I and others are not stopping so mumbles something and heads to the exit. Suddenly another pale faced guy in his 20s take up the debate – despite calm response I get called a disgrace and a c***. Fair enough I thought – his team lost so mad.

Head to the gate to be let out by a steward only to be held back to let the crowd leave: no time of me so no probs. Then I hear the pale faced guy in his 20s suggest to the steward that he lets everybody out bar me. Decided to give him a smiling wave. He then says I called him a c*** first and that I am a green c***. I did smile at that one – never heard it before.

Off to find a plug for the Mac and into a pub - jammed full - with catering which looked like I had gate-crashed a funeral tea. Found a plug socket and beered up guys happy to move along. Get the Mac out; plug in all the card-reader etc while being asked if I would be watching **** – in a crowded bar of course I am. Search all my pockets for my reading glasses needed for captions etc. No sign despite having them at the game. Decide I have to call it quits and head home and use spare glasses. Annoyed as I was commissioned to cover the game and don’t like sending late. Pack everything back up and step out the door – through the usual throng of smokers to spot my glasses miraculously unscathed lying a metre away from the door.

Pick up glasses and back to pub – where same seat is available and same questions asked. Eloise being played for the third time since I first entered the bar. Why is that so popular in some pubs? Anyway, get on with the job but not before the barmaid clearing glasses asked if I was a policeman. I must be getting fatter. Always interesting when in such situations as folk ignore you after a bit and normal conversation about ‘have any gear’ start up around and over your head.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)