+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J K Rowling Has Depression

J K Rowling Has Depression

Whilst I sympathise with anyone who gets depression as we all go through this - people like her should have a look in the mirror and think:

I have food on my plate for myself and the family

I have heating so won’t freeze - even my toes are like toast with underfloor heating!

I can pay for any operation privately unlike some poor soul who has a hip/leg issue and in severe pain and been waiting years on the NHS.

Yes depression not just linked to finances but people who are loaded would be a damn sight more depressed if they looked at others in a far worse state!

But hey they don’t! I do and in severe pain but don’t moan - there are so many who are far far worse off so just get on with it FFS

Poor JK!

I couldn’t agree less.

I’m in a very fortunate position in life yet have never felt so low.

It’s not a case of thinking about your money and equating that value against those in poor and sad circumstances, depression doesn’t work like that.

I knew a guy who was really successful in life and yet he sat on the railway line and read his morning paper until the express train smashed him into a million bits.

I later spoke to his best friend who I knew and said that I just couldn’t understand it, he had been such a rational and clever bloke.

His friend explained to me what he’s been told by an expert after the event and it’s the same thing I heard after Gary Speed killed himself a few hours after being the life and soul of Football Focus that same lunchtime.

Acute depression can cause the brain to trip into a state whereby you function but don’t rationalise, you know you’re going to kill yourself on a particular hour, day, week or month but virtually nothing can change that programming in the brain.

Knowing you’re going to die doesn’t make you sad or indifferent either, it just becomes a fact and doesn’t bother you, in fact, as in Speed’s case it causes a type of euphoria because you know your inner pain will soon be gone.

A good friend of mine lost his daughter, a top student at Sandhurst, about three years ago, her name was Olivia Perks, you can Google about her if you wish.

The brightest of the bright and she hung herself.

I’ve felt a bit down at times as I’ve mentioned before on here and I’ve taken some stick from a couple of posters who accuse me of making things about “me” too much......you know who you are.

At the risk of taking the same criticism again I will openly say, I’ve reached depths I’ve never been to over the past two weeks.

Surprisingly it’s not been the worst events that have ever happened to me that have got me to that point......and that’s the worry.

It’s been fairly minor events that have caused me to completely flip in my head and towards those close to me.

One person on here has been a real life saver for me with his PM’s and advice, I cannot thank him enough, he understands and he gets it.......I won’t give his name but he knows who he is.

I feel for J.K.

She created something wonderful when she was in pretty poor circumstances and in recent times she’s been torn apart in all forms of the media due to her more traditional beliefs, the same that many of us on here seem to hold.

She’s also faced this from the “snowflakes” she made rich and famous in her films who now won’t even be filmed with her for Harry Potter tribute programmes such is their “Wokery”.

She’s every right to wonder what life is all about and in truth, it may be nothing to do with the above, she could be suffering due to events of 30,40 or 50 years ago that have come back to haunt her.

I know another guy who’s worth about £40m who’s suffered manic depression and I’ve had older family members who were as poor as church mice who were such happy people.

I don’t get the.....”you’ve got s h I t loads so get over it” attitude.

Sorry mate, I agree with many of your posts but I’m totally the opposite view to you on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I couldn’t agree less.

I’m in a very fortunate position in life yet have never felt so low.

It’s not a case of thinking about your money and equating that value against those in poor and sad circumstances, depression doesn’t work like that.

I knew a guy who was really successful in life and yet he sat on the railway line and read his morning paper until the express train smashed him into a million bits.

I later spoke to his best friend who I knew and said that I just couldn’t understand it, he had been such a rational and clever bloke.

His friend explained to me what he’s been told by an expert after the event and it’s the same thing I heard after Gary Speed killed himself a few hours after being the life and soul of Football Focus that same lunchtime.

Acute depression can cause the brain to trip into a state whereby you function but don’t rationalise, you know you’re going to kill yourself on a particular hour, day, week or month but virtually nothing can change that programming in the brain.

Knowing you’re going to die doesn’t make you sad or indifferent either, it just becomes a fact and doesn’t bother you, in fact, as in Speed’s case it causes a type of euphoria because you know your inner pain will soon be gone.

A good friend of mine lost his daughter, a top student at Sandhurst, about three years ago, her name was Olivia Perks, you can Google about her if you wish.

The brightest of the bright and she hung herself.

I’ve felt a bit down at times as I’ve mentioned before on here and I’ve taken some stick from a couple of posters who accuse me of making things about “me” too much......you know who you are.

At the risk of taking the same criticism again I will openly say, I’ve reached depths I’ve never been to over the past two weeks.

Surprisingly it’s not been the worst events that have ever happened to me that have got me to that point......and that’s the worry.

It’s been fairly minor events that have caused me to completely flip in my head and towards those close to me.

One person on here has been a real life saver for me with his PM’s and advice, I cannot thank him enough, he understands and he gets it.......I won’t give his name but he knows who he is.

I feel for J.K.

She created something wonderful when she was in pretty poor circumstances and in recent times she’s been torn apart in all forms of the media due to her more traditional beliefs, the same that many of us on here seem to hold.

She’s also faced this from the “snowflakes” she made rich and famous in her films who now won’t even be filmed with her for Harry Potter tribute programmes such is their “Wokery”.

She’s every right to wonder what life is all about and in truth, it may be nothing to do with the above, she could be suffering due to events of 30,40 or 50 years ago that have come back to haunt her.

I know another guy who’s worth about £40m who’s suffered manic depression and I’ve had older family members who were as poor as church mice who were such happy people.

I don’t get the.....”you’ve got s h I t loads so get over it” attitude.

Sorry mate, I agree with many of your posts but I’m totally the opposite view to you on this one.

That was not the point of my post as all people who suffer depression suffer! That said I feel more for someone in excruciating pain who can’t afford an operation and who risks losing their house because of debt as opposed to a celebrity who is worth millions. Treatment or help for depression is available at thousands of pounds which some can afford easily but for others it’s a doctors call within a fortnight if you are lucky!

Those who have nowt are the unfortunate ones in most situations. I am lucky and in a fortunate position and had depression but also convinced myself - there are thousands in a not so fortunate position!

Knowing whether to buy a holiday pad in the Maldives, Monaco or Kensington must be stressful for some!

Whilst financial difficulties can indeed be the cause of some stresses, I have to agree with Mick on this one regarding depression.

There may be a particular root cause/issue but depression is often a case of a culmination of things that build up over time and overwhelm that individual to the extent that they cannot get a true perspective on things and don't know how to start to get a handle on dealing with it. This can then affect family and friends too. Financial security may make life easier in many ways but it does not guarantee happiness or emotional stability. Having the British "stiff upper lip"/just get on with it attitude may be laudable in comparison to many of todays generation of "snowflakes" but it will only get you so far and can be dangerous if it continues to mask on-going issues that are not dealt with and only come back to bite you later. I dislike the American rather self-indulgent style method of airing everything in public but too many Brits-especially men-need to learn to ask for and accept help when needed and not see this a sign of weakness and just bottle stuff up. I certainly do not wish to underestimate the problems that those who have either financial worries or physical health issues face but depression and mental health problems are a growing concern and best wishes to anyone on here who is having to deal with these.

Depression is an illness. It's nothing to do with how much money you have or how comfortable your life is.
    My wife suffers from depression and she gets angry about being depressed when she has no reason to be.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    That was not the point of my post as all people who suffer depression suffer! That said I feel more for someone in excruciating pain who can’t afford an operation and who risks losing their house because of debt as opposed to a celebrity who is worth millions. Treatment or help for depression is available at thousands of pounds which some can afford easily but for others it’s a doctors call within a fortnight if you are lucky!

Those who have nowt are the unfortunate ones in most situations. I am lucky and in a fortunate position and had depression but also convinced myself - there are thousands in a not so fortunate position!

Knowing whether to buy a holiday pad in the Maldives, Monaco or Kensington must be stressful for some!
    Posted my previous message before I'd read your response so bit of a crossover! I do get what you are saying in that those with money should be in a far better place to be able to help themselves and that having financial security takes away an awful lot of problems that the rest of us have to deal with but am just saying that money doesn't guarantee freedom from other stresses or issues. Apart from the old adage of "wanting what you have rather than having what you want" even the well off can become depressed and if you can't see the wood from the trees you aren't likely to get any perspective and be able to see how fortunate you are in comparison to others.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Depression is an illness. It's nothing to do with how much money you have or how comfortable your life is.
    My wife suffers from depression and she gets angry about being depressed when she has no reason to be.
    That last paragraph is so true Des.

You BBC end up having even greater self loathing for yourself because you know there’s millions of people in poor circumstances who really have more of a right to be depressed.

It’s not just the anger at oneself either, it’s humiliating to be in absolute bits on your own or in front of those closest to you.

It’s best I pull out of this thread after this post, I don’t want to say anymore about my own situation or fall out with friends.

If we viewed a broken leg the same way we often view depression, we would tell someone with a broken leg that all they need to do is suck it up, think about how lucky they are that they live in a nice house with a pretty wife, and just start walking. Depression is a real illness, just as real as a broken leg but actually far more difficult to understand and treat because there is no obvious physical trauma to look at. Just as we would never tell someone with a broken leg to suck it up and walk, nor should we ever tell someone with depression just to suck it up and keep going. Plus if anyone you know ever expresses suicidal thoughts, you need to grab them and drag them into a hospital and get them treatment no matter how much they object because they may die if you dont. Its time we destigmatized this very real and very dangerous illness.
    Rant over!

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post

Totally agree Des and that's what I meant albeit was not explained the way it should have been. For example if two individual people are suffering depression from the same hip pains - the person who is loaded has an advantage over the poor person by going private. Likewise, I have been feeling very low myself and desperately need an operation but the NHS waiting lists are a joke - luckily as many have said to me - go private and get it sorted which I will. Many others don't have that option. Bit like suicidal thoughts - there's some fantastic private clinics out there but for those who have nothing, you have five minutes with a GP and referred and could take months and months to see someone and then curtains!

That was my point but agree depression is a severe illness. I have been there and with my illness know more than many!

Mick I'm sorry to hear of your woes mate and I hope you're back on the up very soon - thanks for sharing.

Al - whilst it is indeed true that the NHS has long waiting lists, the situation does differ from place to place, my wife had a private operation for a gall bladder removal booked and out of the blue a letter arrived with an NHS date BEFORE the private one. I myself have had a couple of routine tests and thought it would be ages to be seen but it wasn't long at all - all ok thankfully.

The important thing is to see the GP and get the process started, gaps do appear through appointment cancellations - that's not to say I don't recognise that things could well be far worse where you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)