+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrexham sign new striker

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Yesterday they signed Callum McFadzean from Crewe - another L1 regular dropping down 2 divisions to join them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60163176

They're definitely signing players at their peak (ie late 20s and 30s) with history of promotion, presumably on expensive contracts. This might do the trick for them. But if it doesn't get them promotion this season it could go terribly wrong.

Whatever you say, Stockport and Wrexham are both looking favourites for that top spot now. We're going to have to play out of our skin to stay up there with them.
    If money is no object, as seems to be the case with Wrexham and Stockport, they can afford to buy experienced players who have a couple of good years left in them. Based on their signings, Wrexham are taking a pragmatic approach to getting out of this league (ie, big lump up top; long throw-ins into the mixer).

These signings do show what we’re up against - and that’s even without factoring in Chesterfield and their outlay.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    It depends I think on how patient the owners are.
    I think Wrexham have struck lucky. Even if their owners aren't in it for the long term, I think their reputations are too important for them to leave the club in a mess. What they are spending is big money by NL standards, but I would think small money to them.

Not sure about Stockport's finances, but I do think Chesterfield seem to have gone down the 'sh!t or bust' route.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I think Wrexham have struck lucky. Even if their owners aren't in it for the long term, I think their reputations are too important for them to leave the club in a mess. What they are spending is big money by NL standards, but I would think small money to them.

Not sure about Stockport's finances, but I do think Chesterfield seem to have gone down the 'sh!t or bust' route.
    I don't think they would leave it in a mess. They might want to sell though and they might not find new owners so generous with the cash.

We've been down the route of throw cash at it (not to their extent) but I'm happier with what we have now.

If Wrexham go up though and we don't .........

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I don't think they would leave it in a mess. They might want to sell though and they might not find new owners so generous with the cash.

We've been down the route of throw cash at it (not to their extent) but I'm happier with what we have now.

If Wrexham go up though and we don't .........
    I'm very happy with our owners and the way we are looking to run the club. I truly believe in the long run we will be more successful then Wrexham. There are limits to how far throwing money can get you for a club the size of Wrexham (and us). Especially when you consider their owners are rich but they are not "football rich".

I'd like to see them do well as I'm a fan of both of their owners and think that the club will be in a much stronger position if/when they decide to leave. Like Elite I don't think they would leave the club in a poor state.

If we don't go up this year but Wrexham & Stockport do I'd consider it decent season.

I much prefer the way we are doing things , building for the future aswell as the here and now. A fine balance with no guarantee nor a quick fix ,but a more stable and pragmatic way forward !

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Yesterday they signed Callum McFadzean from Crewe - another L1 regular dropping down 2 divisions to join them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60163176

They're definitely signing players at their peak (ie late 20s and 30s) with history of promotion, presumably on expensive contracts. This might do the trick for them. But if it doesn't get them promotion this season it could go terribly wrong.

Whatever you say, Stockport and Wrexham are both looking favourites for that top spot now. We're going to have to play out of our skin to stay up there with them.
    You don't need to play out of your skin to get 3 points at Wealdstone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12