+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrexham sign new striker

Wrexham sign new striker

Ollie Palmer from Wimbledon reported fee £300-400k
    Don't know much about Ollie but their fans seem very pleased.
    Allegedly doubling his wages.

This signing has already been discussed on the James Rowe thread. But I can understand why you wouldn't have seen that as it was definitely off topic on there.

It's a crazy signing for me. Not just the fee (which some players are worth if you have the £ to spend). But basically because he has a bang average career goals record and little to no future sell on value. If we signed him on a free I'm not sure I'd be that excited.

Club record signing for them though. And if he scores the goals that get them promotion he'll have been worth it

Best part of half a mil for a 30yr big man who had a couple of decent seasons at Crawley a few years back is just madness. Clubs really are milking Wrexham for every penny they can and good on them. Also if he’s worth (reportedly) 300-400k, then what is Woots worth? I’m not sure how happy I’d be with the transfers if I were a Wrexham fan, Mullin is a classy striker. People say Lacey had him in his back pocket but the way I saw it, he still caused us problems even as a lone striker when they came to the lane. The other signings have been very meh. Big money for very average players.

Is that the same Ollie Palmer who was fairly average for Mansfield? Crazy price if so. Does show however, what Notts are up against in spending power of Wrexham, Stockport and Chesterfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Warnocks Legends View Post
    Is that the same Ollie Palmer who was fairly average for Mansfield? Crazy price if so. Does show however, what Notts are up against in spending power of Wrexham, Stockport and Chesterfield.
    We've got good goal scorers that's cost next to nothing so let them spend. We don't need to

Still not sure what to make of this signing. Has had the odd good spell. Wrexham are direct and also have a player who can launch in throw-ins so having a 6ft 5in forward makes complete sense. He could compliment their other main man.

Let's assume they are going to be backed increasingly heavily until they get promoted. What then? They have a decent fan base but the wages and transfer expenditure will be astronomical by the time they hit L2 so god knows what they'll do about FFP and the 55% cap

They've won 6 of the last 8, moved up from 13th to 3rd before the cancellations set them back a bit. It will be funny if they miss out, but I'd wait until the end of the season before declaring these owners clueless and our own as geniuses. This season is very much in the balance, must be one of the tightest NL titles races there's ever been.

Yesterday they signed Callum McFadzean from Crewe - another L1 regular dropping down 2 divisions to join them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60163176

They're definitely signing players at their peak (ie late 20s and 30s) with history of promotion, presumably on expensive contracts. This might do the trick for them. But if it doesn't get them promotion this season it could go terribly wrong.

Whatever you say, Stockport and Wrexham are both looking favourites for that top spot now. We're going to have to play out of our skin to stay up there with them.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Yesterday they signed Callum McFadzean from Crewe - another L1 regular dropping down 2 divisions to join them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60163176

They're definitely signing players at their peak (ie late 20s and 30s) with history of promotion, presumably on expensive contracts. This might do the trick for them. But if it doesn't get them promotion this season it could go terribly wrong.

Whatever you say, Stockport and Wrexham are both looking favourites for that top spot now. We're going to have to play out of our skin to stay up there with them.
    It depends I think on how patient the owners are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast