+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ratings @ Wealdstone

A Plan B option sounds great. If we can get in a player who has the desired bulk and quality for a far more direct approach and who's happy to basically only play for 20-30 mins max and only when Plan A isn't working then I'm all for it.

Last night a big target man may have worked a charm for those last 20 mins.

We've had a Plan B that has worked very well this season - go to back 4, still get the full-backs forward but have an extra creator/attacker on. We've grabbed a lot of extra points by doing this.

IB seemed to forget this last night, was he nervous about the sucker punch? I hope not 'cos fortune will favour the brave when it comes to winning promotion.

Said it before and I'll say it again - nothing wrong with sticking a centre half up front for the last 10 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Said it before and I'll say it again - nothing wrong with sticking a centre half up front for the last 10 mins.
    Nothing much right with it either.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Apart from when it works!

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Apart from when it works!
    The last 45 minutes Craig Short ever played for us was up front, and he scored too.

Very occasionally I've seen it work at Notts but the vast majority of the time it has about the same success rate as putting a keeper up for a corner at the death.

As long as IB doesn't take a leaf out of Stuart Pearce's book when he brought Nicky Weaver on so David James could play up top for Man City. The results are comical but entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    If the scores are level, it's a gamble worth taking. If it works half the time and backfires half the time, you're in profit.

No sense in 'respecting the point' if you're disrespecting a possible two!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The last 45 minutes Craig Short ever played for us was up front, and he scored too.
    I didn't know that, but yeah it often works, despite being quite unfashionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    If the scores are level, it's a gamble worth taking. If it works half the time and backfires half the time, you're in profit.

No sense in 'respecting the point' if you're disrespecting a possible two!
    As we know IB is not really a respect the point kind of guy, and does genuinely try to score goals and win games.

However, if like last night we're not playing well, nothing is really coming off for us and after 80 mins we have barely worked the keeper, then I don't think it's a bad idea. It just takes the defence out of their comfort zone - they have probably figured out who is marking who and who is picking up which runs, an extra body in there just makes makes it less predictable, not to mention increasing your chances of winning first contact on crosses.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast