+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ratings @ Wealdstone

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Can anyone suggest why Kyle Wootton seems to be so ineffective in away games?
    Pretty much following the pattern of the team, this season anyway. The opening day mauling of Barnet aside (and Roberts going beserk in the second half at Lynn), we’ve not played great away from home all season. Even our best result, the win at Grimsby, was really something of a burglary.

I don’t know why it’s the case, but we seem able to do things at home that you would actually expect to happen more away? Like you would naturally think teams sit deeper at ML and for us to have more possession but struggle to get in behind. What actually seems to be happening is we have even more possession away but struggle to have any threat on the break, while at home we are a constant menace on the counter and get in behind teams all the time. Just because our pitch is that much bigger? It’s weird.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    As we know IB is not really a respect the point kind of guy, and does genuinely try to score goals and win games.

However, if like last night we're not playing well, nothing is really coming off for us and after 80 mins we have barely worked the keeper, then I don't think it's a bad idea. It just takes the defence out of their comfort zone - they have probably figured out who is marking who and who is picking up which runs, an extra body in there just makes makes it less predictable, not to mention increasing your chances of winning first contact on crosses.
    For me it's a minor point. Some managers try it others don't believe in it, similar to the question of how many you leave you when defending corners.

Last night if our delivery from out wide and/or from set pieces had even been average we win the game. We continued to get into great crossing positions throughout the second half including the final 10 mins. That part of the plan/approach was working but the crossing and cutbacks etc were poor even when at the byline or unchallenged.

Omg..laddo you went,good in depth analysis thanks...

Sure did helps when it's not a 6 hour round trip to see my beloved Notts. From what I've read everyone has pretty much been in agreement including our always honest head coach.

You can put your hat back on now Superb numbers supporting the Pies in far more than I thought would travel.

Every cloud has a silver lining..As IB said in his post match interview, " There have been no more enquiries regarding transfers " so keep performing like they did last night and at least we'll hang on to all our better players.

Quote Originally Posted by ALPIECINO View Post
    Every cloud has a silver lining..As IB said in his post match interview, " There have been no more enquiries regarding transfers " so keep performing like they did last night and at least we'll hang on to all our better players.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Where do you get that impression from? How big is our squad compared to others?
    Not saying we have a large squad only that many of them are very good players for this league and probably think they should be starting every game. Probably wrong, just crossed my mind as to why some of the players don’t seem as motivated as they should be when they come on as a sub.
    Last edited by BanjoPie; 26-01-2022 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Pretty much following the pattern of the team, this season anyway. The opening day mauling of Barnet aside (and Roberts going beserk in the second half at Lynn), we’ve not played great away from home all season. Even our best result, the win at Grimsby, was really something of a burglary.

I don’t know why it’s the case, but we seem able to do things at home that you would actually expect to happen more away? Like you would naturally think teams sit deeper at ML and for us to have more possession but struggle to get in behind. What actually seems to be happening is we have even more possession away but struggle to have any threat on the break, while at home we are a constant menace on the counter and get in behind teams all the time. Just because our pitch is that much bigger? It’s weird.
    The fact we’ve only played two away games in two months has helped gloss over the fact that our away results and performances this season haven’t been good enough or that convincing (based on commentaries and comments). We ground out results at Wrexham, Boreham Wood and Grimsby, had a great 45 minutes at Barnet and King’s Lynn - but otherwise last night sounds pretty typical fare: not creating many clear-cut chances and not being positive enough.

It doesn’t sound like Ruben is any more effective in the away games than Wootton, and we’re struggling to impose ourselves on the opposition in the middle of the park without a physical presence. Again, though, why this should be a problem away but not at home is an odd one. May be time for IB to recognise that there’s a problem there and rethink, before Stockport disappear into the distance.

We tend to overlook something very basic...IB, like so many others, picks a formation without having the players for it.

There should be more talk on here and in the media about why Joel Taylor is missing. Taylor can play wing-back, Chicksen can't. We went into yesterday's game toothless down one whole side of the pitch. This throws out our entire balance. We actually did better with Roberts filling in there (although in no way am I calling for that )

The first third of the season we suffered with DKE at RWB until Richardson showed us what the position is all about. Now we have Chicksen. Managers say they're playing wing-backs then pick full-backs to play there. Extra defenders are good for draws and fighting relegation, not so good when you're playing for promotion and have to attack games.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    The fact we’ve only played two away games in two months has helped gloss over the fact that our away results and performances this season haven’t been good enough or that convincing (based on commentaries and comments). We ground out results at Wrexham, Boreham Wood and Grimsby, had a great 45 minutes at Barnet and King’s Lynn - but otherwise last night sounds pretty typical fare: not creating many clear-cut chances and not being positive enough.

It doesn’t sound like Ruben is any more effective in the away games than Wootton, and we’re struggling to impose ourselves on the opposition in the middle of the park without a physical presence. Again, though, why this should be a problem away but not at home is an odd one. May be time for IB to recognise that there’s a problem there and rethink, before Stockport disappear into the distance.
    I dunno, Ruben was our main man away from home earlier in the season, and he has a history of doing his best work away, but I think it’s fair to say he’s been out of form home and away for a while now, and he hasn’t scored since Borehamwood at the end of November. No idea whether he’s been unsettled by bigger clubs sniffing around.

Wootton of course is the complete opposite, he hasn’t scored away since I think Wrexham in August! It was a similar story last season. I thought IBs interview was a bit of a worry last night. He didn’t seem to know why we start games so slowly, and it appears he’s equally struggling with why we’re so average playing away. As I said in the match thread, we could have probably done with the kick up the arse of them scoring.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast