+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What has happened to our pitch

What has happened to our pitch

A few seasons ago we won awards for our pitch, now it looks awful and the manager is referring to the problems in interviews, why has this happened and what are the club intending to do about it

Not sure what they can do during season and more pressingly what can they do in summer with the euros here.that would be a bigger worry...maybe the milder winter has made it different I don”t know….i know fleetwood had to bring the old sand out for their pitch the other week.don’t often see that these days.

Hes mentioned it on at least 3 occasions now, it looks a bit muddy but we still water it prior to kick off!

Like most people Im not an expert on these things but would love to know the reasons. To be honest a lot of pitches I have seen around the leagues don't look too good either compared to what we have become used to over recent years. Might be something to do with COVID!

I don't come on to the terrace until 10 Mon before kick off and I've only seen sprinklers on the home end. Do the use them on the away end or is it not used cos it's always shaded and a bit damper

Here's a flight of fantasy for you.

The work on Don Street is to improve drainage so maybe they have blocked the drainage to the canal, either accidentally or deliberately so surface water isn't draining away and the whole of the land around the ground is wetter than normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Here's a flight of fantasy for you.

The work on Don Street is to improve drainage so maybe they have blocked the drainage to the canal, either accidentally or deliberately so surface water isn't draining away and the whole of the land around the ground is wetter than normal?
    Grist, You’re far too clever sometimes. 😉

Or may be clubs have reduced the maintenance budgets ?

What I've never understood is that when our pitch is so good - as it usually is compared to others - why do we dig it up and start again every summer?