+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Holocaust day

Holocaust day

I was privileged to meet and had tea and cake with an elderly lady in 1992 who had survived, all she wanted was for people not to forget, I was truly shocked when she showed me the tattoo, everything she had been was reduced by the Nazis to a string of numbers, thankfully they never broke her spirit.

My visit to Auschwitz was the most chilling experience. Having said that, I would recommend it for everyone.
    I thought it was a concentration camp, but the visit demonstrated that it was an extermination camp. Set up to efficiently murder and dispose of unbelievable numbers. Frightening.

There was a very informative but horrific programme on tv recently about another Nazi ‘camp’, Mauthausen, which was dubbed the camp of no return. Nearby was an offshoot camp, Gussen, which was used to provide slave Labour for the stone quarry; the poor souls were worked until they literally dropped dead or were crushed by falling stone. I think that the progress on Sky History or documentaries, if anyone interested.

It was a conveyor belt system that Henry Ford used in his early factories that was behind the structure of the camp. The surrounding area was a mass killing zone. Systematically thought out and brutally excited in its entirety.....
    And yet....I can see how survivors are most concerned that people will forget. They already have started....only old people remember the wars....which is most on this forum.....and there memories are failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    It was a conveyor belt system that Henry Ford used in his early factories that was behind the structure of the camp. The surrounding area was a mass killing zone. Systematically thought out and brutally excited in its entirety.....
    And yet....I can see how survivors are most concerned that people will forget. They already have started....only old people remember the wars....which is most on this forum.....and there memories are failing.
    Inevitably we are all getting older (I can recall chatting to veterans of the Great War's "old pals" brigades but today there are scarcely any veterans left from WW2) but at least in the UK GCSEs seem to cover the Holocaust and reasons that led to it. This , at least, might mean that future generations do not forget and may help prevent such a thing happening again. What is worrying is where generations are not taught this history which then only aids the Deniers as happens in certain states in America.

Education and discussion seem to me key factors if lessons are to be learnt. It is important to recognise that this atrocity did actually happen in the (increasingly distant past) but even more important that people still understand the relevance of it to them today because the situations that led to it could still happen again somewhere.

Atrocities have happened throughout history but I think that it is important for kids to learn about those that occurred in more recent times particularly as these have helped shape their own world and are of more relevance. It is not just the Holocaust though, I think more should be aware of the genocides and pogroms committed under Stalin, Mao or Pol Pot as well as the Rape of Nanking for example and events in the Belgium Congo or Rwanda and Kosovo.

Schools and Universities have and will stop teaching kids and students about the horror of what went on in both World War 1 and 2 because the snowflakes get upset and traumatised when they hear what happened and need a safe space to go to. What a load of bo**ox. If the bloody survivors of those horrors can resume their lives and live a happy and productive life then these poncies can learn about what happened to help ensure it never happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    Schools and Universities have and will stop teaching kids and students about the horror of what went on in both World War 1 and 2 because the snowflakes get upset and traumatised when they hear what happened and need a safe space to go to. What a load of bo**ox. If the bloody survivors of those horrors can resume their lives and live a happy and productive life then these poncies can learn about what happened to help ensure it never happens again.
    I know of reports from the states where teachers have complained that they have not been allowed to teach about the Holocaust due to parents saying it would upset their little dears but not in the UK. Having said that, the US education system is notoriously uneven and very isolationist. Some of my favourite YouTube clips are from the Jimmy Kimmel show where they stop random people on the street and ask them to point out country's on a world map-the level of ignorance is staggering and most couldn't find Vietnam, Afghanistan or Iraq and some even struggled with Canada😀😂. Even worse than not knowing was the fact that most didn't care or feel embarrassed. The World's Policeman who doesn't know where it's beat is..

Have to say I’ve never thought about the possibility of WW1 and WW2 and especially the holocaust not being taught in British schools

But thinking about it I have to agree there is a possibility that this will be dropped in the near future, which is unthinkable to me

With regards to the US being myopic about history, there’s plenty that the British did around the same time of WW2 which killed millions elsewhere too and I doubt there’s many that are aware and it definitely isn’t taught in schools or history books

The number of jews killed is truly staggering and it should serve as a warning to humanity how a regime can hold such power over its citizens for them to participate in such tyranny.

Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it - world history should be taught the world over, then we may have a chance.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)