+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeman/Smith

Freeman/Smith

Really unfortunate injury that Liam picked up and hopefully his recovery is going well.
    Freeman meantime has come into the side and been a revelation. Liam wasn't shy about getting forward but in many games Freeman has been our best attacking player.

When Smith is fit again we'll have 2 cracking right backs. Thing is I can't see either wanting to play second fiddle for that slot.

Wouldn't want to lose either but as Kieran keeps improving he'll attract interest.

One way to keep both would be to move Freeman into right midfield when Smith is back. It would inject some much needed pace aggression and intensity there. Maybe enjoy the best of them both?

Either way it's great to have two really good RB's at the club.

First choice is now Freemans to lose imho. We have seen both at this level over past 2 seasons and IMHO Freeman looks better especially going forward which we need due to lack of threat from our midfield. I think Smith looked average at best stepping up from championship if im being honest

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Really unfortunate injury that Liam picked up and hopefully his recovery is going well.
    Freeman meantime has come into the side and been a revelation. Liam wasn't shy about getting forward but in many games Freeman has been our best attacking player.

When Smith is fit again we'll have 2 cracking right backs. Thing is I can't see either wanting to play second fiddle for that slot.

Wouldn't want to lose either but as Kieran keeps improving he'll attract interest.

One way to keep both would be to move Freeman into right midfield when Smith is back. It would inject some much needed pace aggression and intensity there. Maybe enjoy the best of them both?

Either way it's great to have two really good RB's at the club.
    That’s the rub isn’t it? When will Smith be fit? Jeezo it was originally meant to be late Oct i.i.r.c. yet here we are almost into Feb and not a cheep. What exactly is the problem? As usual though not that I’m expecting any updates from the Club.

Quote Originally Posted by the_arab View Post
    First choice is now Freemans to lose imho. We have seen both at this level over past 2 seasons and IMHO Freeman looks better especially going forward which we need due to lack of threat from our midfield. I think Smith looked average at best stepping up from championship if im being honest
    Agree it's Freeman's to lose. Think Liam is better than just average, but to be fair I'm not at Tannadice just seeing games on screen.

Just thinking of a way to inject pace directness and creative threat into the midfield and getting the best out of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    That’s the rub isn’t it? When will Smith be fit? Jeezo it was originally meant to be late Oct i.i.r.c. yet here we are almost into Feb and not a cheep. What exactly is the problem? As usual though not that I’m expecting any updates from the Club.
    Back in full training

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Judging by his birthday pic he's fit enough to shag his missus but I suppose footballs a different thing altogether 😎

The club are shocking for this. It's disrespectful tbh. Fans are invested emotionally and financially with the club, a bit of communication costs nothing.

Freeman every day of the week. He has a bit to learn defensively but going forward he's been a revelation. Smith isnt going to get any better than he is. He still operates at the same level he did when we were in the Championship. I wouldn't be fussed if he wants to leave. A decent back up however.

As for playing Freeman further up, not for me. Get a proper wide man for that job.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Freeman every day of the week. He has a bit to learn defensively but going forward he's been a revelation. Smith isnt going to get any better than he is. He still operates at the same level he did when we were in the Championship. I wouldn't be fussed if he wants to leave. A decent back up however.

As for playing Freeman further up, not for me. Get a proper wide man for that job.
    Like who? Niskanen II?

Kieran has already shown he's the perfect wide man.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post

Just to add..... Paul Hegarty was a centre forward before he became one the best CB's ever... just saying 😎

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Like who? Niskanen II?

Kieran has already shown he's the perfect wide man.
    Like who? A Conway or GMS. Freeman is a great full back, running from deep, overlapping whoever is in front of him. He's used to playing with the game in front of him and exploiting openings made by others. He doesn't have the instant pace or the trickery that your ideal wide midfielder would have, and I wouldn't say he's skillful enough to create openings like the two aforementioned players did in their time here. I certainly wouldn't want Niskanen II if Niskanen I is anything to go by.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)