+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Miles have you travelled

How many Miles have you travelled

To watch our Team Barnsley FC over the years ?

Absolutely no idea Roma but it will be a lot .

From 1978 when I first started work to around 2001 I hardly missed a game home or away .

I've seen us play at well over 80 grounds if not more if you include Wembley , Millennium Stadium , non league and pre season friendlies at Hibernian etc .

The money it's cost me would see me comfortably retired today I reckon but I wouldn't swap it for anything .

Enjoyed some of the very best moments in my life supporting this club .

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    To watch our Team Barnsley FC over the years ?
    I wonder where to start , impossible really but I started going to Oakwell in 1961 & attending away matches on a regular basis from about the mid sixties which included long distance trips to the likes of Plymouth , Exeter & Torquay where we would have to board a coach from Barnsley bus station on a friday night to get to the south west for the following morning & then setting off back straight after the match & getting back Sunday morning , happy days , as the years went by I got a car & went to most games home & away in the seventies which included a 6 year spell when we lived in Buckinghamshire & every home game became a 280 mile round trip , during the 80"s & 90 "s I would attend all home games & an average of about 10 games a season away but since the turn of the century I never miss a home game but rarely go to away games , but summing up after 60 years the amount of travel I have done is not measurable in miles but more in memories .

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    I wonder where to start , impossible really but I started going to Oakwell in 1961 & attending away matches on a regular basis from about the mid sixties which included long distance trips to the likes of Plymouth , Exeter & Torquay where we would have to board a coach from Barnsley bus station on a friday night to get to the south west for the following morning & then setting off back straight after the match & getting back Sunday morning , happy days , as the years went by I got a car & went to most games home & away in the seventies which included a 6 year spell when we lived in Buckinghamshire & every home game became a 280 mile round trip , during the 80"s & 90 "s I would attend all home games & an average of about 10 games a season away but since the turn of the century I never miss a home game but rarely go to away games , but summing up after 60 years the amount of travel I have done is not measurable in miles but more in memories .
    The memories indeed renno , my weekend as a younger man was completely consumed by the reds on a Saturday home or away and playing on a Sunday morning with plenty to drink in between and afterwards .

The late 70's and early 80's are still my favourite time following this club , I feel blessed to have enjoyed that period before the money men arrived and the game we have today .

96/97 was special and in some ways it completed many of our generation , we'd seen us rise from the depths of the old fourth division to rub shoulders every week with the country's elite .

They can't ever take that away from us , that season was magical , we really were good , proper good and all our dreams were realised .

Thousands.
    Yet 13 there and back tomorrow is too far.
    Lions led by…….

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Thousands.
    Yet 13 there and back tomorrow is too far.
    Lions led by…….
    I wouldn"t miss the match for a gold pig , I"ve got my west stand seat back , happy days !!!!

Many miles ovva 60 years inluding 42 miles every ooam game, except for recently under the Arseoyle.

What was Ahmad's final reason for closing the West Stand ? It kept changing.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Many miles ovva 60 years inluding 42 miles every ooam game, except for recently under the Arseoyle.

What was Ahmad's final reason for closing the West Stand ? It kept changing.
    No stewards ! All deployed to North Stand , big away follorins = ££££££

[QUOTE=animallittle3;39962915]Absolutely no idea Roma but it will be a lot .

From 1978 when I first started work to around 2001 I hardly missed a game home or away .

I've seen us play at well over 80 grounds if not more if you include Wembley , Millennium Stadium , non league and pre season friendlies at Hibernian etc .

The money it's cost me would see me comfortably retired today I reckon but I wouldn't swap it for anything .

Enjoyed some of the very best moments in my life supporting this club .[/QUOTE Good Un Animal , same here it meant everything at one time to me , up to 1998 I had seen us play on 91 of the 92 grounds "original one's " the one I never got to was Brightons Goldstone Ground , thousands of miles, great memories , would I do it now ,,,,,,,,,,, NO the game we knew has lost all its recognition , money , greed and cheating has taken over,
    Last edited by Romared; 29-01-2022 at 08:57 AM.

Started going with my Dad 51 years ago! I started to really go in Jim Iley’s last season before Clarkie took over.
    Went home and away from around 1980 first on the coaches from the Sun Inn then properly went to away games when I passed my driving test in 1984.
    I’ve taken in 74 grounds and was planning to make a big push to pick up the remainder including some of the new ones as I approach retirement, however I won’t give these lot another penny as long as they own our club even if we sit 30 points clear at the top of League One next season, because we know relegation is coming the following year!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast