+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rotherham v Crystal Palace 1977

Rotherham v Crystal Palace 1977

On The Big Match Revisited ITV 4 in a few minutes. We finished 4th that season behind Palace on GD and missed promotion.

Terry Venables was their manager. I think I was there that day, does it say what the date was?

That was the season we needed to win 6-0 at Port Vale last game to get promoted and won 4-1.

Shows how times have changed Monty, Mansfield were 3rd Division Champions, Watford, Brentford and Bournemouth were all wallowing in the 4th Division., Ipswich finished 3rd in the 1st Division and your local lad's from Workington were booted out of the league.

Keeper got done for taking too many steps (twice it sounded like).

Was it a 4 step rule back then because he did about 6 or 7!!

I’m guessing the programme was for the London area?

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    On The Big Match Revisited ITV 4 in a few minutes. We finished 4th that season behind Palace on GD and missed promotion.
    I don’t like this despicable Cnut......but think about the post .......it’s quite funny 😄

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Terry Venables was their manager. I think I was there that day, does it say what the date was?

That was the season we needed to win 6-0 at Port Vale last game to get promoted and won 4-1.

Shows how times have changed Monty, Mansfield were 3rd Division Champions, Watford, Brentford and Bournemouth were all wallowing in the 4th Division., Ipswich finished 3rd in the 1st Division and your local lad's from Workington were booted out of the league.
    I seem so remember in the Port Vale game we got off to a good start and the 6-0 looked fleetingly possible

Or maybe it’s a dodgy memory

We were 4-0 up after 78 mins then they scored. It finished 4-1 and we stayed down on goal difference by 3 goals. Us and Palace finished on 59 points with Palace going up automatically behind Mansfield and Brighton.

Goal average in 1955, goal difference in 1977. Ironically, if those systems were reversed we would have been champions both times. This may the origin of our collective shoulder chip.

This game was on April 2nd 1977 just over a year after the 4-1 win over them at Millmoor when Malcolm 'Fedora' Allison was in charge and at the time in the midst of an FA Cup run that saw them lose out to eventual winners Southampton 2-0 in the semi-final.

We haven't beaten Palace for almost 40 years, the last time being February 27th 1982 (the last of the 8 games we won in February that year winning once more at Oldham before the streak was broken against Newcastle).