+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There has to be a way he can be made captain

There has to be a way he can be made captain

In the short few days he has been here Trippier has been such a positive influence on the club, the way we have begun to play, on the players, and indeed on the supporters.

He is such natural captain material, on and off the pitch that it can only be a matter of time before he replaces Lascelles.

It will probably happen in the summer. Taking the captaincy off Lascelles now might affect his performances just as they are improving

If we stay up we might sign more potential captains you never know

It is not the armband that makes a captain so why are you so upset with Lascelles being captain. A reel captain does more of the pitch than on the pitch. What do we know it could be Lascelles is the most respected and honest guy to have in the dressingroom if everybody trust him. When I played football at decent level we had 3 to 4 captains on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by george123 View Post
    It is not the armband that makes a captain so why are you so upset with Lascelles being captain. A reel captain does more of the pitch than on the pitch. What do we know it could be Lascelles is the most respected and honest guy to have in the dressingroom if everybody trust him. When I played football at decent level we had 3 to 4 captains on the field.
    Aye i get your point. I think the problem for most of this season is that Lascelles has been a shower of sh!te most of the time and has been responsible for a lot of goals conceded. People probably think a captain should be leading by example and not making so many mistakes

Although it would probably help performances, I don't think it helps the team togetherness to unceremoniously strip it off Lascelles right now.

It could foster "them and us" mentality, which is the last thing we need now.

Do that it Summer.

EH has the experience to know that you don’t make changes like that unless you have very good reason. Whether Lascelles should be dropped or not is another matter and this hasn’t happened yet, never mind removing the captaincy from him.
    Coming off a mini recovery and back to back wins, it’d be madness to make that change now.

Quote Originally Posted by george123 View Post
    I agree 200% with this. Lascelles had a great game against Everton, done everything a captain should be doing, ok he conceded an own goal, but I don’t see it as his mistake, the ball hit him on the chest, nothing he could have done about it. I believe that Just having Trippier on the field has taken a load off Lascelles shoulders, Trippier is a captain as well, only without the title or armband, and that’s how it should stay IMO. It would be wrong to change captain now and Howe will realise that,he’s a great man manager by the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    In the short few days he has been here Trippier has been such a positive influence on the club, the way we have begun to play, on the players, and indeed on the supporters.

He is such natural captain material, on and off the pitch that it can only be a matter of time before he replaces Lascelles.
    How do you know what he’s like off the pitch? Howe was saying that Lascelles is very good with the players off the pitch, no mention of Trippier. I’m sure he is, but let’s not have any upheavals at the moment please, we don’t need them.

Quote Originally Posted by tinostongue View Post
    How do you know what he’s like off the pitch? Howe was saying that Lascelles is very good with the players off the pitch, no mention of Trippier. I’m sure he is, but let’s not have any upheavals at the moment please, we don’t need them.
    Off the pitch? I've read the reports which you obviously haven't. As to Tripps being captain, it's an eventual thing. No way have I suggested Lascelles is stripped of it now or even dropped. In fact, he is one who has improved and benefitted since Tripps arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Off the pitch? I've read the reports which you obviously haven't. As to Tripps being captain, it's an eventual thing. No way have I suggested Lascelles is stripped of it now or even dropped. In fact, he is one who has improved and benefitted since Tripps arrived.
    Which reports are those? You suggested that Trippier be made captain, that would seem to mean Lascelles is not, therefore you ARE suggesting Lascelles be stripped of the captaincy. Lascelles has improved and benefitted since Trippier arrived as you point out and I agree, that’s why I wouldn’t change anything, simple really.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)