+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: OT perspective/ Ukraine/Russia

TTR h as a point about the magic money tree, which has been stripped of many of its leaves during the pandemic, and is now starting to suffer from ever increasing inflation. But sometimes there are things that transcend money and need a cure

I do however worry that this is not just a short term fix and the burden on our (and others) national resources, already dramatically in debt, may well be more long term than first meets the eye.

Then I see people who have been driven from their homes, their assets pillaged or destroyed, their financial resources either gone or diminishing in value daily and I think, "let tomorrow worry about tomorrow". This decade will be one that will already impose huge financial burdens on our children and grandchildren: more so than they probably appreciate at the moment, but doing the right thing is still paramount.

Slightly different but as a result of Russian agression, Johnson is now in favour of pushing for more nuclear power and Starmer agrees.
    The folly of trusting Putin and relying on the good will of others, seems to be evaporating in less than a week.
    Germany/Poland cranking up coal production as well.
    Greta won't be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    What does that even mean? Someone makes an intelligent and informed, if utterly chilling and depressing, point about the ever emerging consequences of this madman’s actions and all you can do is offer mockery and ridicule.
    Ffs...grow up or sod off...this is not one of your point scoring little exercises.
    Are you expecting a miracle rA? Fortunately having Thicky on ignore means I no longer have to read his ill-informed posts, but I can hazard a guess at the general tone and content.

On a more pertinent point, I see now that Patel's back pedalling on visas has now been contradicted by Downing Street, somebody needs to tell this government that their anti immigrant stance is not a vote winner, and remember it was less than 37% of all voters who voted for Brexit and not even all those voted for it because they were thick racists!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Are you expecting a miracle rA? Fortunately having Thicky on ignore means I no longer have to read his ill-informed posts, but I can hazard a guess at the general tone and content.

On a more pertinent point, I see now that Patel's back pedalling on visas has now been contradicted by Downing Street, somebody needs to tell this government that their anti immigrant stance is not a vote winner, and remember it was less than 37% of all voters who voted for Brexit and not even all those voted for it because they were thick racists!
    Your last sentence doesn't make sense. I don't mean I disagree with it, I mean it doesn't make sense. Ironic when your first sentence makes a similar comment about someone else

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    A miracle would be as wonderful as it is unexpected where Putin’s sudden demise is concerned, Swale...as regards the other much more minor ‘irritant’...seems to be a case of, ‘where there’s no sense there’s no feeling’...and I’m no longer wasting my time, life’s too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Your last sentence doesn't make sense. I don't mean I disagree with it, I mean it doesn't make sense. Ironic when your first sentence makes a similar comment about someone else
    Actually it does make sense I think, with careful rereading. I think he's saying that the government should stop pandering to the anti immigrant lobby as not all brexit voters are racist and thus they are appealing to less than 37% of the electorate (6 years ago) and so may be following a false trend. But I may be wrong.

What isn't allowed for are those racists that voted remain....

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Actually it does make sense I think, with careful rereading. I think he's saying that the government should stop pandering to the anti immigrant lobby as not all brexit voters are racist and thus they are appealing to less than 37% of the electorate (6 years ago) and so may be following a false trend. But I may be wrong.
    I thought that. That’s two mildly contentious posts of yours that I’ve largely agreed with in the last two days. What’s going on? Almost like the old days.

Could you have a word with your ‘mate’ the senior administrator while you’re on a roll?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 10-03-2022 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

What isn't allowed for are those racists that voted remain....
    Ah I see. So we have (let’s say) 90% of Leavers are/were ‘thick racists’ by his definition, and (let’s say) 50% of non-Leavers are/were ‘normal racists’ (ie they can’t be thick as they didn’t vote Leave), we have 37x90/100 + 63x50/100, or 33.3+31.5 or 64.8, so HMG ARE playing to the majority of the house, be they (the populace not HMG, although that’s debatable) thick or otherwise.

I can sort of verify the former group, I have been on a project since mid Jan and worked with around 20 or so folk, all but 1 (me) were/are Leavers and all but 2 (of which 1 me) are/were racist (even by normal definition, not Swales)

yes, thats what I understand from it, but of course the percentages may differ with interpreter - Swale MAY consider all evil Brexiteers to be racist but no saintly Remainers to be tainted with such characteristic - thus 37% of the country might be racists (thick or otherwise) under his definition, and 65% in your definition.

Which leaves me in something of a quandry - one of my best friends is Asian and voted Leave? Where does this leave these 3 people? Are they self haters, because we know from past debate that you cannot be racist against white people?

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)