+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OT perspective/ Ukraine/Russia

OT perspective/ Ukraine/Russia

Much has been said over the past few months on the negative effects of the current situation at DCFC on the mental health of the staff, players, fans and the local economy.

Imagine how the Ukrainians are feeling right now.

Fooookin 8 Putin.....

Agreed, MA. For the first time in three Springs we all had something to begin to look forward to and now this...but however depressing it is for the rest of us, imagine, as you say, how the Ukrainians are feeling sheltering in basements, subways and underground car parks.

We’re seeing real bravery from many Ukrainian citizens and also from some Russians. It’s all well and good joining demonstrations in the West but the ordinary Russians demonstrating against Putin’s warmongering are, imo, amongst the bravest.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Agreed, MA. For the first time in three Springs we all had something to begin to look forward to and now this...but however depressing it is for the rest of us, imagine, as you say, how the Ukrainians are feeling sheltering in basements, subways and underground car parks.

We’re seeing real bravery from many Ukrainian citizens and also from some Russians. It’s all well and good joining demonstrations in the West but the ordinary Russians demonstrating against Putin’s warmongering are, imo, amongst the bravest.
    An interesting/inspiring story, Mrs F has a wonderful Russian ex colleague who knows the score and has taken it on herself to explain that score to every member of her village, one by one or at church, and then take that message further. Not sure how long she’ll last. She still had watsapp this am but I think that’s been blocked now so we may not know her fate til after it happens

Ukraine has Europes support.

Nice to see it has done the right thing as well- all males 18-60 will not run away, but stay and fight for the homeland.
    As it should be.
    Aggression needs dealing with, not running away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Ukraine has Europes support.

Nice to see it has done the right thing as well- all males 18-60 will not run away, but stay and fight for the homeland.
    As it should be.
    Aggression needs dealing with, not running away from it.
    Don’t look at this as me looking for a spat...I’m not...but I’m not so sure about the 18-60 male thing.
    During WW2 the age limit for conscription was 18-41.
    Not so sure that what you describe is ‘as it should be’ or that in these days of gender equality the emphasis should be on older males.
    Just an observation...let’s hope that the Kremlin’s ‘rogue male’ sees the error of his ways or finds himself the victim of an assassin’s bullet/blade/needle/poisoned vodka pdq.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Don’t look at this as me looking for a spat...I’m not...but I’m not so sure about the 18-60 male thing.
    During WW2 the age limit for conscription was 18-41.
    Not so sure that what you describe is ‘as it should be’ or that in these days of gender equality the emphasis should be on older males.
    Just an observation...let’s hope that the Kremlin’s ‘rogue male’ sees the error of his ways or finds himself the victim of an assassin’s bullet/blade/needle/poisoned vodka pdq.
    I never thought it was.
    But the difference here is, the enemy are already on home soil. It is either-
    1. fight
    2.run away
    3. surrender

If you choose 1, then the best chance of getting anywhere, as many bullets in the air is better.
    Even you at your age, could fire an AK 47, from a building window. No one is asking you to yomp 35 miles in full battle dress.
    Best way to oust Putin, is make the Russians pay for every meter in blood.
    What I saw on some media channels, is that the older Russian viewers believe the party propaganda of a quiet squirmish in the east. Only the young techies know the truth.
    The longer they fight and turn up the heat, the more chance the Putin threat is removed and not just a change of policy.

Reports of Russian tanks approaching a Ukrainian village/town. They were met by a line of unarmed men. The mayor approached the lead tank and spoke to the commander, in Russian, explaining that their presence wasn't wanted, the Ukrainians weren't under some neo nazi yoke and Putin is a .... fill your own word in. The convoy turned round and left.

If true, that Russian Tank Commander has probably just committed suicide. Heroes on both sides it would seem. Hopefully that truth spreads all over Russia and Putin gets the backlash he thoroughly deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Reports of Russian tanks approaching a Ukrainian village/town. They were met by a line of unarmed men. The mayor approached the lead tank and spoke to the commander, in Russian, explaining that their presence wasn't wanted, the Ukrainians weren't under some neo nazi yoke and Putin is a .... fill your own word in. The convoy turned round and left.

If true, that Russian Tank Commander has probably just committed suicide. Heroes on both sides it would seem. Hopefully that truth spreads all over Russia and Putin gets the backlash he thoroughly deserves.
    Don't hold your breath.
    Propaganda works wonders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtyA3VJQn1g
    Last edited by Trickytreesreds; 28-02-2022 at 10:58 AM.

Is that video true though? Yes, they are getting the pro Putin story via state media, however, ordinary Russians seem to have heard of something called a VPN which can make it look like you're somewhere else. They can, apparently, use one of these VPN's to make the internet think they are in the UK or France or wherever and that way they are seeing the other side of the fence....

Int technology great. Whoda thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Is that video true though? Yes, they are getting the pro Putin story via state media, however, ordinary Russians seem to have heard of something called a VPN which can make it look like you're somewhere else. They can, apparently, use one of these VPN's to make the internet think they are in the UK or France or wherever and that way they are seeing the other side of the fence....

Int technology great. Whoda thunk it?
    I understand Elon Musk is parking a wad of Starlink satellites over Ukraine and Russia to help keep the message real. Not sure how the plebs access the internet via satellite but every little helps

Mrs F's Russian mate is still 'connected' (she's between Moscow and Ukraine) but has said (to the worldwide work based social network that they are both part of) that she will be keeping a low profile in that group because she is 'embarrassed'...

NB I've madethis thread Sticky due tothe importance of the issue. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to pm me and I'll unstick it
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 28-02-2022 at 05:44 PM.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)