+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Palmer, Brindley & Roberts called up for England C game

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I'm sure clubs often use the injury/illness reason to explain why a certain player isn't in a matchday squad when the real reason maybe disciplinary or non football reasons. It's the easy response.

Now he's played in what sounds like a bit of a joke game it's the perfect opportunity and lead in for a question for the local journalists.

"Now Cal has played 90 mins for England C can we assume he has now recovered from his recent reported injury/illness and is available for selection for the Southend game?"

It's the obvious question for Radio Nottm and NEP isn't it?

My question on here is ,whatever the reason for the absence, now fit would he get in your starting XI at Roots Hall? Or would you stat Sam or both assuming Wootton plays?
    Too late with the presser done. I am sceptical, but then again maybe he’s just had covid. Tested positive for a week or more and they didn’t think it was right to put him with the group just after that but thought it was fine a couple of days later. TBF we don’t know what any of the illnesses were, my guess would be stomach bugs and covid.

Cal missed 2 wins and a draw being out of the squad, I'm not sure we missed him a great deal and I'm not too concerned about the possibility of him being ill for long enough to miss a couple of games but be back in time for England C, he could have been close to playing in the Chesterfield game but not risked

We've also used the 352 in the last couple of games, which we tried to fit him into earlier in the season and it didnt work very well for us or him so that could be another part of him not being risked or selected just because he didn't fit the gameplan recently

I don't think Cal fits anywhere in a 352 way of playing which is a shame as without doubt he is a cut above this League,his effective position is wide right either in a 442 or 433 he teamed up very well with Richo down the right when we played with a front 3 with Sam wide left.
    Having said that we play better with the players we have in a 352 so is there a compromise ,I'd say no the only way is 433 and include him any other way of playing he has to be on the bench.

If I was going to stick Cal in to a 3-5-2 again, it would be up top.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    This is my view. Although, as it stands, I’d like to see Sam up top with Kyle.

I also understand comments re not having a set formation, changing dependent on opposition. But, my preferred formation is 3-5-2, gives us a better balance with the players we have.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Not sure he'd touch the ball if he played upfront, he's at his best out wide when he can take someone on with the ball at his feet, he doesn't get in behind or beat anyone with pace and there's no chance I'd play him there ahead of Wootton or Ruben and an argument would be made for Eli Sam playing out of his best position upfront before we tried it with Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    The Covid worry is all but over as far as sport is concerned so it shouldn't be a panic any longer, perhaps the players could were masks?

You could hardly expect players not to increase their future potential or for clubs to say their players might, just might, get injured so they aren't allowed out to play, at any time. Remember, football is their world.

Come on now, England C is a stepping stone to B and A isn't it?
    Covid might be over as you put it but fixtures were cancelled because of it.

They could have used this midweek to fit some games in.

Notts wont give a sh*t about this game if Palmer got injured they and fans wouldnt be happy.

Football is their world but do England C pay their wages ???

England C is it even a real team ?!

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Not sure he'd touch the ball if he played upfront, he's at his best out wide when he can take someone on with the ball at his feet, he doesn't get in behind or beat anyone with pace and there's no chance I'd play him there ahead of Wootton or Ruben and an argument would be made for Eli Sam playing out of his best position upfront before we tried it with Roberts
    If played as part of a front 2, I’d give free roaming role. Go where you feel you can best influence the game.

I think the point KTD was making is if he had to play somewhere in a 3-5-2.

He’s definitely best wide. But, I’m not sure the formation that accommodates Cal out wide is the best formation for Notts. Particularly if we get deep into the playoffs.

#managerialdilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Killerkline View Post
    If played as part of a front 2, I’d give free roaming role. Go where you feel you can best influence the game.

I think the point KTD was making is if he had to play somewhere in a 3-5-2.

He’s definitely best wide. But, I’m not sure the formation that accommodates Cal out wide is the best formation for Notts. Particularly if we get deep into the playoffs.
    Without doubt he’s best coming in off the right if that’s an option.
    I think he could play off Wootton.
    I think it’s Sbarra at Solihull played up top against us at ML. Very similar type of player and saw plenty of the ball. He kept dropping in pockets of space and was hard to pick up.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast