+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket (part dix)

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Root says we are doing a lot of things right??
    We are bottom of the International Test Championship with only one win in 17 games, what's he on??!!
    Time for a change if only to freshen things up!!
    Yep...but Stokes apart...is there anyone else in contention? I think I remember him leading the second string very well last season when Covid hit the first choice squad...but he’s also liable to breakdown...and then who?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Yep...but Stokes apart...is there anyone else in contention? I think I remember him leading the second string very well last season when Covid hit the first choice squad...but he’s also liable to breakdown...and then who?
    I'm not sufficiently up on cricket at county level these days and I agree in the Test Arena none stand out, but, if Roots the best we've got as Captain material then we are indeed in something known as dire straits. He's our best batter by miles and we need him at his best in that area!
    Time for the selectors to earn their corn and find.someone with nous and inspirational qualities. Roots Captaincy lacks both imo.

I'm not sufficiently up on cricket at county level these days and I agree in the Test Arena none stand out, but, if Roots the best we've got as Captain material then we are indeed in something known as dire straits. He's our best batter by miles and we need him at his best in that area!
    Time for the selectors to earn their corn and find.someone with nous and inspirational qualities. Roots Captaincy lacks both imo.
    Sadly he might be our best spinner too, mac...but I agree about the captaincy bit.

Sadly he might be our best spinner too, mac...but I agree about the captaincy bit.
    I'm available.

You're probably right there! When you think of the spinners we have had, whether offys or leggys, we are somewhat bereft of quality! Can't we find a Shane Warne!

You'll do MA, get your whites on and report to Lords!

You're probably right there! When you think of the spinners we have had, whether offys or leggys, we are somewhat bereft of quality! Can't we find a Shane Warne!

You'll do MA, get your whites on and report to Lords!
    Or Lourdes...we’ll need a miracle to find an English Warne.

... at least the women folk are doing their bit well.

Great win in the semis, good luck to them in the final!

Archer out for the season...again. Either the unluckiest cricketer ever or his middle name is George.
    Sad for him and for England...really makes you appreciate the fitness levels of those from Statham and Trueman to Anderson and Broad.

Archer out for the season...again. Either the unluckiest cricketer ever or his middle name is George.
    Sad for him and for England...really makes you appreciate the fitness levels of those from Statham and Trueman to Anderson and Broad.
    A lumber stress fracture sounds like he may have to slow down in pace or it will probably happen again.

Were Statham etc really all that fit? Race horses are finely tuned as are F1 cars. Both can become relatively useless through something minor because the whole balance is out of kilter. Footballers today seem to get injured far more frequently than say 40 or 50 years ago. INO it's because they are a lot fitter than before and it's likely the same goes for cricketers.

Back in the 70s, rugby players, footballers, cricketers were all reasonably fit but also hardy. They were also, most of them anyway, drinkers. They seemed to get injured less often. They managed to play on with serious knocks which would put today's little darlings used to light balls and a billiard table smooth pitch, out of action for weeks. IMO a lot of the issues players get today are down to the equipment they use, the perfect pitches they play on plus the fact their bodies are finely honed and, as a consequence, are far less reliable units to play the game.

Curtis played every minute of every game this season. In the past every club had a few players each season who did that.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)