+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future for Barry.

The future for Barry.

He is now the owner of the ground, which means he picks up the bills. The Corona kop is a disgrace, it should be in a museum, it deserves preservation as a throwback to an earlier time. But as a part of a modern stadium it has no place.

The supporters club area needs rebuilding, as does the terracing by the corona kop towards the main stand, and the pathways.

The Habbin needs to go. There are no private boxes. The rich need catering for.

Meanwhile, the team is tanking, and will need serious reconstruction. Good management only goes so far. I dont know if its a Russian word or Polish, but some pretty serious pinyonsi is needed, im not even sure if thats the correct spelling.

Has he got it? No, judging by previous behaviour. He has two fellow investors, to make the club sellable to make big bucks, the above will need addressing. Very little at the Abbey has changed since i toddled in in the late fifties or early sixties.

No one knows how much cash Barry has, or his investors, maybe he has serious money, and is only spending pocket money on the club. That in itself is a form of abuse and not doing things right, getting what he can for as little as possible.

Its not unusual behaviour for rich people, its how they make money.

Maybe he is struggling, who knows. This could put him under.

Either way, United fans are about to find out. Soon.

Corona kop?

Behind the Newmarket road end, the Corona kop, there used to be a factory loading and unloading large bottles of Corona pop. You must remember that. And wonderful pop it was to, being in a glass bottle made a difference.

The clink of bottles was loud.

Including the above, Barry has yet to pay the purchase fee for the Abbey, many many millions in that.

Barry is loaded, but gives the vibe of being brassic. Nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    Behind the Newmarket road end, the Corona kop, there used to be a factory loading and unloading large bottles of Corona pop. You must remember that. And wonderful pop it was to, being in a glass bottle made a difference.
    That God for that,I thought that they had named a stand after the virus
    As a kid we had Alpine pop from a van that came every Thursday,I can still remember the smell of the Pineapple flavoured pop just thinking about it,I would pay good money for a bottle to taste again,I'm not sure if they was local or national,you ever heard of them?
    I don't suppose that there would be much call in somewhere that has its own Corona factory I suppose

I thought Corona would be national, not so seemingly. Never heard of Alpine. There is so much we had as kids that doesnt exist now. There was DC comics, i bought a lot of those. It was childish comic entertainment that has become mainstream, and for adults.

It was entertainment for under twelves. There was Look and Learn, i cant remember the name of the comic, but it was stories for kids with no pictures, just text. I loved that and looked forward to the next edition. Endless othor comics.

There was bubble gum, like me i expect you nearly choked too. Chewing gum, gob stoppers, all sorts of chocolate bars, pear drops, bags of crisps that you couldnt eat there was so much.

When you buy crisps now you hardly get any. The profit margin on a bit of potatoe is a disgrace. Toys that could kill, i had a gun that could shoot a jet plane, fifty yards. Cap guns, scrumping, on a bike all day, such happy times.

The kids today know nowt. I used to live in south street, now sadly gone, it had a farm yard. A family moved in opposite and the kids wernt allowed out, they must have come from a posh area. Because of the area, and, i suppose, kids like me and my brother.

Just like today. Growth is stunted.

Can you imagine the uproar if a company decided to market tabacco,pipes and fags aimed at the kids sweet market,the wokes would blow a fuse,kids don't go out much now until they become tee.nagers and become feral,maybe it's for the best though,maybe there was just as much danger out there but we didn't know anything about it,we used to swim in a man made pond kind of thing that wasn't far from the park,I've absolutely no idea what it was for but I imagine that it's all cut off now or drained,can you imagine what was in there whist swimming around in it,jeez but we wasn't bothered,the next time that I pass I will take a look to see if it's still there but I doubt that it will be

Whilst googling what happened to Alpine pop it brought up photos of Corona pop as well and I seem to remember the bottles,we wouldn't have had them though as Alpine used to deliver to the door and was about a third cheaper than named branded pop,seems most of it was sold in the north and North Midlands so I don't know if Kel or Griff can remember it,I could just drink some of the American Cream Soda pop

Yes i remember those cigarettes, with a red tip, and they were good sweets. I remember stan swimming at the bottom end of jesus green, the city centre, in the Cam. I wouldnt do it. Today, the police would be called.

There used to be a putting green there too. We used to roam a rail yard where they parked steamers and diesels, we played in a cemetery, even at night, great days. Today, that would be enough to get help of some sort or a record.

You are right, American cream soda was excellent, closely followed by raspberryade, i loved that. You could taste the dryness of the raspberrys. The cream soda was brilliant, easily no 1. Last year i went to a cafe in a big department store in london, bottled coke was sold, i bought one and it was fantastic.

I will have to look up why bottled pop is so good. And why they dont do it now, i would buy it, even if it cost more. It is a treat.

You can still buy bottled Coke if you look Frank,a quick Google on Sainsbury's and Morrisons and they have them on sale for £2.80 for four 250ml bottles or £2.50 if you buy the Zero version (no sugar) Nip in and buy yourself a fivers worth as a treat and you are right,they do taste better
    There was some great chocolate back in the day and my favourite was a Icebreaker but nobody seems to remember it,rum flavoured Areo to and I'm pretty sure that they did a strawberry version as well,the most outrageous taste that they do now is probably mint,do you think that the chocolate recipe has changed over the years,was there any E numbers back in the 70's or stuff that they aren't allowed to use anymore,I bet that the chocolate tasted better if we could go back,Google's 70's sweets images and see what you can remember and I bet that some of them will take you back to your youth

I will look for it in Sainsburys. My favourite was Mars, it was cheap enough. I only had money to spend at 11 when i started a paper round. There was those small cadbury bars, they were wonderful, i dont know why they dont sell snack bars now.

Rolos were great, to expensive for me, and i loved Bar Sixes. Kit kats were great, i buy chunky kit kats now. There was another bar that they brought back for a while, they were good, cant remember the name.

Unfortunately recipes must be different, the quality has gone down in every food stuff. Real Cadbury chocolate is being phased out, replaced with a cheaper and sweeter yank thing. The slower you change, the less people notice.

We had it good in the 60s. Cant remember icebreakers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)