+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Players needing binned at the end of the season.

There are some obvious players to get rid of and that shouldn’t have been kept on, but I don’t think we need a mass cull, think key thing is to get bare minimum 3-4 quality in, that are starters, team is sum of its parts, and we lack absolute essential parts that impacts on whole team..

Quote Originally Posted by arab1970 View Post
    I wouldnt get rid of Freeman but its pretty evident he is not as good people think he is
    Agree. After a great start he's really fallen away. Perhaps something to do with being moved forward now that we're playing with 3 centre backs instead of a flat four? Neither have the support in front of them that they're used to. Niskanen plays the position well imo. Freeman & McMann not so much. Whatever the cause, he's not nearly the player he was at the start of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by arab1970 View Post
    I wouldnt get rid of Freeman but its pretty evident he is not as good people think he is
    I agree. We now have 4 good CH's but look weak in the full back positions.

I think what is key to the recruitment is that Tam C has a preferred formation and gets the right people to play in that formation...we can't keep playing players in the wrong position. Liam Smith as an example..seems to be doing well in his new role but is that because he isn't great in the position we got him for? I am a firm believer that you need experience right down the spine of the team...CH,CM &CF. Lads that can hold up the ball and pick out a pass. Supplement that with speed, directness and drive and you will have a great team.
    Tam needs a rebuild to suit his way of play! We are not 100 miles off but we need to rid ourself of the players that don't fit the formation or plan.
    It appears in most games that we have a plan but not the tools to execute it.
    I would 100% ask Craig Levein to come in and assist until the end of the season as an advisor.

Quote Originally Posted by weegiearab View Post
    I'll start-
    McNulty - YES, yes yes yes
    Harkes - yes
    L Smith - no
    McMann- maybe
    Clark - yes
    Pawlett - yes
    Sporle - no
    Freeman - no
    It being hard on the lad as he been out for two years, but would add McDonald as not sure he will be able to get back up to speed, he looks very slow.

We are not far from a decent team, lets not forget we have Watt who looks a decent addition to the squad., but if we can get someone up front that can hold the ball up and a midfielder or two who are more creative than what we have then we will be competitive.

I read a comment in this thread about the season not being over, I think in terms of what we can achieve it is, I think we need to properly blood some of our youngsters and test our new keeper in readiness for next season.

McDonald? I thought he was excellent when he came on last night.

McDonald ? He is a very good player, you can see he knows what he is trying to do. He does look a wee bit slow and rusty, but under the circumstances who wouldn't?

I would defo ask him to stay on, do a pre-season, then take things from there. Even in the condition he is just now, I'd rather have him on the park in place of certain others. He is a player, just need to see if he can get back to a decent level of fitness. (really hope so)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    McDonald? I thought he was excellent when he came on last night.
    Yip, same. The boy at least tries something different. Looks to open up play & has the ability & vision to play the first time pass instead of needing three or four touches & moving the the ball 5 yards sideways. Yes he's off it atm, but match sharpness isn't going to happen in the space of a few games. More than happy to give him the end of the season before writing him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Arab Eck View Post
    It being hard on the lad as he been out for two years, but would add McDonald as not sure he will be able to get back up to speed, he looks very slow.

We are not far from a decent team, lets not forget we have Watt who looks a decent addition to the squad., but if we can get someone up front that can hold the ball up and a midfielder or two who are more creative than what we have then we will be competitive.

I read a comment in this thread about the season not being over, I think in terms of what we can achieve it is, I think we need to properly blood some of our youngsters and test our new keeper in readiness for next season.
    It was i who doesnt think our season is over, and while i admit i can be one of the negative feckers on here, i stand by what i said as there are 6 teams in the mix for top 6, then if we manage that, there is the fight for 4th place and European football.

Quote Originally Posted by ahlltanyirhide View Post
    Think McNulty’s parent club are picking something like 60/70% of his wages with the proviso he plays if fit, he he gets dropped United have to pay the piper full whack. He’s been a real big disappointment.
    I was reading a book"The Hard Yards" which is about last seasons English Championship. In it is a quote that the average wage of a Reading player was £ 18,000 per week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)