+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: This isnae a crowd thread as such

This isnae a crowd thread as such

But I think it's pretty damning to Scottish football that probably only hearts and possibly mibbe possibly Hibs would sell out against the old firm for Scottish cup game.

It isn't that long ago when us, dons, dabs, Killie, st m would do so.

Going further back, pars, Falkirk, Ayr, partick.....even Morton.

Old firm are finally sucking what's left out of Scottish football.

TV must have an effect. Often said that there are more Celtic and Rangers fans in Tayside area who can only get to see their team by going to Dens and Tannadice or St Johnstone.
    Lack of competition is down to money. Their Ave attendances are between 2 and 10 times the other teams in the SPFL. They still struggle in Europe because they need to play the qualifying rounds based on that budget. They can buy better players if they qualify for the later stages but they are still the poor relations because of the money Scotland gets for their TV deal.
    Think there should be a different league structure to allow them to play somewhere else to give the Scottish game a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    But I think it's pretty damning to Scottish football that probably only hearts and possibly mibbe possibly Hibs would sell out against the old firm for Scottish cup game.

It isn't that long ago when us, dons, dabs, Killie, st m would do so.

Going further back, pars, Falkirk, Ayr, partick.....even Morton.

Old firm are finally sucking what's left out of Scottish football.
    I cannot ever see it happening again until the matches revert to all being played on a Saturday afternoon with a 3pm kickoff.
    Live TV coverage would have to be scrapped and season tickets would also cover home cup ties up to and including the quarter final stage.
    Up to the mid 1970’s it was pay at the gate for every part of Dens Park apart from the Centre Stand which had season ticket holders.
    It was also a 34 game season with each team playing other only once home and away.
    Therefore there was a bit of a novelty element playing in the Scottish Cup especially when both teams were trying to win, whereas
    pre Covid a lot of the smaller teams were trying to get a draw resulting in a replay with more money earned for their club.

All the clubs need to get together and agree some sort of maximum price for matches that are live on tv.

It’s obvious that a lot of folk just won’t turn up with current prices, especially against the old firm where the chances of winning are slim.

The days of games against Rangers & Celtic being the biggest of the season are long gone when they are available more cheaply by not attending.

If we had drawn Hearts and the Arabs had drawn Hibs I’m sure there would have been bigger attendance at both games as some chance of actually winning.

Also didn’t help us that we are playing Rangers twice in a week too. Season ticket holders obviously gonna say I’ll go to the league game, that’ll be enough.
    Last edited by Dee_Dee; 15-03-2022 at 07:54 AM.

The thing is even tho the dabs were far more pro active (not hard) than we were, regarding pricing, keeping ends for home fans it actually backfired. They shud have left the shed to celtic fans as they cud easily have fitted into the 2 sides. Our pitiful crowd was imo due to.
    Way the club is being run
    Pricing
    On tv
    Chances of progressing.
    In that order, but saying that the 1st one is huge.
    We regularly took almost trb the home crowd to away quarter finals years ago so expense doesna really cut it.

John Nelms said they had decided not to give Rangers more tickets for the Cup game. Our neighbours kept the Shed for themselves in the hope that their support would help their team.
    Both decisions didn't make a ha'penny worth o' different e to the results but must have cost each club 500-1000 additional OF tickets worth between £15-£30k.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    John Nelms said they had decided not to give Rangers more tickets for the Cup game. Our neighbours kept the Shed for themselves in the hope that their support would help their team.
    Both decisions didn't make a ha'penny worth o' different e to the results but must have cost each club 500-1000 additional OF tickets worth between £15-£30k.
    Probably more, especially in the Arabs case

Only thing is both sets of fans have opened the door for their directors to say next time, going on past attendances we are giving 2 stands to the Old Firm to maximise money.
    We recently had another pathetic crowd at a cup game, was I it Motherwell? I was there, Dens was like a morgue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee_Dee View Post
    Only thing is both sets of fans have opened the door for their directors to say next time, going on past attendances we are giving 2 stands to the Old Firm to maximise money.

We recently had another pathetic crowd at a cup game, was I it Motherwell? I was there, Dens was like a morgue.
    It was against Motherwell again in the Scottish Cup in January 2020.
    The game was played at 7.20pm on a Saturday evening with it televised live on the BBC Scotland channel.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)