+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ot - Happy St. Patricks day

ot - Happy St. Patricks day

🇨🇮☘❤😃🍺

I don't need any excuse to have a beer but I still don't understand why St Patrick's Day is celebrated more than our own St George's day .

Baffles me it does .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I don't need any excuse to have a beer but I still don't understand why St Patrick's Day is celebrated more than our own St George's day .

Baffles me it does .
    I wouldnt know when St Georges day is Animal , my late Grandad was from Galway Bay , so as a child i remember wearing shamrock sent over from there on my school uniform , and proud to wear it too , Absolutely Topman and Gentleman my Grandad ❤☘🇨🇮,

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    I wouldnt know when St Georges day is Animal , my late Grandad was from Galway Bay , so as a child i remember wearing shamrock sent over from there on my school uniform , and proud to wear it too , Absolutely Topman and Gentleman my Grandad ❤☘🇨🇮,
    Yeah - my grandad was from Mayo on the banks of Lough Conn.
    Not far from Pontoon Bridge.
    I’ve got relatives over there. One of mi cousins from Normanton is over there visiting this week.
    It’s an area that suffered badly with the sinking of the Titanic - 3 of my granddads cousins went down with that ship.

Mi grandad were same - lovely soft accent - never swore - always smartly dressed - gentleman.
    Came over here to work in the pits - and couldn’t read or write when he got here.
    Worked at Cortonwood and Wath Main.

Mi Grandads cousin is/ was Dermot Earley - defence joint chief of staff.
    Other relatives own Foxford Woollen Mills - who I have visited.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 17-03-2022 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post

Baffles me it does .
    Same here. If I want a drink it doesn't matter whether it's Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc. I think those who try and justify it are those with a problem.

Absolutely no problem celebrating St Patrick's Day but it is baffling we don't celebrate St George's day quite as much .

We are a very patriotic nation so there's no reason not to .

Is it because certain sections don't like it because it promotes nationalism in our multi cultural country , not saying it is just wondering what folk thought .

St Patrick's Day is celebrated worldwide because I guess the huge number of Irish people who have migrated and the generations who have followed have kept up that tradition .

Today dun't interest me either as I have no connection with that country.
    But it does also bug me why our own 'National' day often seems to be ignored or forgotten about. 😕

Well thats all well and good if thats how you feel , who is at fault though ? Dont knock anyone of Irish heritage for enjoying today , why even comment on it ? Any enjoyment people can have in this troubled world is welcome as far as im concerned .

I haven't knocked you or anybody else who celebrates it have I ?.
    Theres nowt wrong with those who do so, and have the connection and family ties to there etc.
    As for why our own day dun't get the credit it should, Im not sure why. In fact, does it even get taught in schols now who each nations 'Saint' is and when each day is. 😕

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I haven't knocked you or anybody else who celebrates it have I ?.
    Theres nowt wrong with those who do so, and have the connection and family ties to there etc.
    As for why our own day dun't get the credit it should, Im not sure why. In fact, does it even get taught in schols now who each nations 'Saint' is and when each day is. 😕
    good al not , , braythi then 🤭 St Juds day should be celebrated i agree , why that and Scots/Welsh dont celebrate it is beyond me , Italy, Spain, Portugal the countries ive visited the most all have a National Saints Day , and its also an Holiday , why not here ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast