+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I’m calling it…

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I suppose it's only natural for people to identify with the style they associate with success in their lifetime, especially in their younger, less cynical years as football fans. Neil Warnock and Sam Allardyce were the blueprints for me and although their football could be direct, it was also very entertaining.
    Those two are my blueprints too, I class both as direct, it was very entertaining primarily because it was successful.

Forest fans are known at times to sing "We're Nottingham Forest, we play on the floor", often in simple remembrance of Brian Clough's philosophy, but sometimes as a stark warning to any manager who dares to start implementing a different tactic. It's basically telling said manager that the Forest/Clough footballing culture is non-negotiable, similar to the principles of West Ham.

Perhaps there's a sub-conscious desire amongst Notts County fans to go in the opposite direction to Forest on most things. Certainly in my time watching Notts, our identity has leaned towards the Warnock/Allardyce/Cotterill tradition of direct, physical football which has brought our (only) success, although Jimmy Sirrel's teams could certainly play good passing football as demonstrated by that famous goal at Ipswich and Mick Walker when he was in charge was very much a football purist.
    My opinion has always been that you get the best out of the players you've got, and the way to do that is to play to their strengths. Trying to make players fit a system they're not comfortable with or not capable of playing is a recipe for failure. The best example I can offer is Steve Thompson and Ian McParland. Thommo recruited a bunch of misfits at the last minute but got them doing what they were good at - a physical long ball game. McParland tried to get the same bunch to pass it around from the back, and the result was absolutely dismal. It wasn't attractive football, it was the worst football I've seen from Notts in over 50 years.

It's a lot better now, we seem to have a certain style in mind and recruitment is based on players suited to that style. I really hope it works, but I can't help but think it needs a bit more 'what it takes to get out of this league' thrown into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Yeah, and not a one-off. That was our style then thru the promotion season til Larry Lloyd showed up three years after it started
    I was 13 when Lloyd was appointed when my knowledge of football barely extended beyond which clubs had which kit manufacturer and who looked cool as a Panini sticker, but even I knew then it was a stupid appointment. I still don't get the thinking behind it, did they think him and O'Neill might have persuaded a few floaters over? I was reading a report about his last match in charge (v Birmingham) and apparently during the game he confronted and was all set to jump in to the crowd in the main stand to smack a lad who said something about his kids. Being on County Road, I have no recollection of this.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 25-03-2022 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    My opinion has always been that you get the best out of the players you've got, and the way to do that is to play to their strengths. Trying to make players fit a system they're not comfortable with or not capable of playing is a recipe for failure. The best example I can offer is Steve Thompson and Ian McParland. Thommo recruited a bunch of misfits at the last minute but got them doing what they were good at - a physical long ball game. McParland tried to get the same bunch to pass it around from the back, and the result was absolutely dismal. It wasn't attractive football, it was the worst football I've seen from Notts in over 50 years.

It's a lot better now, we seem to have a certain style in mind and recruitment is based on players suited to that style. I really hope it works, but I can't help but think it needs a bit more 'what it takes to get out of this league' thrown into the mix.
    I've just remembered another 'chalk and cheese' philosophy - Guy Branston recruiting for Ricardo Moniz.

How was that meant to work?

I don't think that 'long ball/direct' label is accepted by slightly older fans who saw the top flight years under Wilko and Jimmy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXMlVJIJtS0
    It’s been a privilege to watch Notts replicate that style numerous times this season. Is Gordon Mair available?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I've just remembered another 'chalk and cheese' philosophy - Guy Branston recruiting for Ricardo Moniz.

How was that meant to work?
    At least Ricardo didn't try to hide his displeasure!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I was 13 when Lloyd was appointed when my knowledge of football barely extended beyond which clubs had which kit manufacturer and who looked cool as a Panini sticker, but even I knew then it was a stupid appointment. I still don't get the thinking behind it, did they think him and O'Neill might have persuaded a few floaters over? I was reading a report about his last match in charge (v Birmingham) and apparently during the game he confronted and was all set to jump in to the crowd in the main stand to smack a lad who said something about his kids. Being on County Road, I have no recollection of this.
    If that's true then it's just as well the next piece of blocking was, exit Stage Door [left] pursued by a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I was 13 when Lloyd was appointed when my knowledge of football barely extended beyond which clubs had which kit manufacturer and who looked cool as a Panini sticker, but even I knew then it was a stupid appointment.
    It was, no question.

Shockingly, he'll be the proud owner of the record of being the manager who's reached the highest league table mark in our history - top of the whole shebang, thanks to Trevor Christie's hat-trick at Leicester.

At least Ricardo didn't try to hide his displeasure!
    I enjoyed when he called one example of Branston's interference a 'technical mistake' or something close to that. Because Branston had done something outside of his job description. Moniz deserved better, what a nightmare scenario to have to do job in
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 25-03-2022 at 07:30 PM.

I enjoyed when he called one example of Branston's interference a 'technical mistake' or something close to that. Because Branston had done something outside of his job description. Moniz deserved better, what a nightmare scenario to have to do job in
    True, all managers and manager stats need to take other influences such as those from owners and finances into account.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast