+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Release clause

Release clause

Saw that raph wants it lowered.

Question on that. If we were to lower it to 50 million but several teams came bidding could it turn into a bidding war?

Does Phillips have a release clause?

I continue to be surprised that Villa keep being mentioned on Phillips. Not really much of an upgrade compared to a top 6 team or someone already on championship football. Garrard has them humming but so did Bielsa. At the end of the day they don't have the talent anymore than we do to go into champions league football.

Have to say that if you got 70 million for Phillips and 60 million for Raph... take it and run. you could sign some decent players. we've been without Phillips most of the year and Raph might as well been out half the season the way he played. You could nail down some of the youth talent we have as well as sign some of the players heard mentioned in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Saw that raph wants it lowered.

Question on that. If we were to lower it to 50 million but several teams came bidding could it turn into a bidding war?

Does Phillips have a release clause?

I continue to be surprised that Villa keep being mentioned on Phillips. Not really much of an upgrade compared to a top 6 team or someone already on championship football. Garrard has them humming but so did Bielsa. At the end of the day they don't have the talent anymore than we do to go into champions league football.

Have to say that if you got 70 million for Phillips and 60 million for Raph... take it and run. you could sign some decent players. we've been without Phillips most of the year and Raph might as well been out half the season the way he played. You could nail down some of the youth talent we have as well as sign some of the players heard mentioned in the past.
    Dont disagree with the principle, but in practice? Since when have we signed "decent" players for relatively low cost? Instead we get Rodrigo (yes, he's scored two goals in two matches, but overall?), and James (who can't hit a barn door with a banjo), and cost us near on £60m. There ARE good players (better than many we have already) for relatively little money, we just don't have the naus to get them.

If several clubs came in for him they would all bid the release clause amount and then the competition would be over who offers him the best package (which might include guarantees of game time).

If we lower the release clause we potentially lose out.

This is a tricky one. Don't disagree with both points above.

However, If he's demanding the lowering and we don't and he's "disgruntled" we end up with a player for year that does not want to be there and we end up losing on a free. I think we saw the last month under MB just how ineffective he can be when his head is not into it. He also takes up a spot on the roster as well as a significant pay check.

it all comes down to how unhappy he'd be if he's not playing for Barca or Lpool. A different situation entirely than someone Like Phillips, Rice or Grealish before he moved to citeh.

55 million is a lot.

50m is a lot and anything above that is too.

If he is strongly asking for a reduction in the release clause then it might be sensible to stall and see what happens when the window opens as it suggests he wants out and that his agent may already have been speaking to clubs.

Don't want to see either go to be honest, raphina is a match winner, if he does go I'd rather se him go abroad, away from the Premier league, Phillips hopefully, if we stay up, being homegrown and loves Leeds, will stay.

We can't lose both but if we had to lose one I'd want to keep Phillips, Raphinha I'd want 60m for to really enable us to invest in the team I don't think 50m is really enough

If we survive in the PL (and I dont see that as guaranteed, despite my somewhat optimistic assessment of the remaining games), it will be more by luck than good management overall. In such circumstances expecting other clubs to fall over themselves to pay £50m, never mind £60m is cloud cuckoo land. The whole point if the release clause us to dissuade club's not encourage them (and precisely why Raphina wants whatever it is to be lowered).

I hope Phillips is as good as his word in wanting to stay at Leeds, but if not, again the club's end position will significantly influence what bids we get. £70m is not going to happen, more like 30-40.

Aston Villa - West Ham - Liverpool all been linked to Phillips.

Barcelona rumoured to be in for Raph.

Can see Raph going to be honest.

Phillips like WTF says hope he is true to his word but if he does go then surely it will be to go on and win things which he will not do at Villa or the Spammers.

Possibly. In part it will depend on how Rapha plays between now and the end of the season for us and Brazil.

If he puts in more Norwich type performances his value will increase and who knows what we might get.

If he goes to City or Liverpool he is not guaranteed to be a starter - Mahrez, Foden, Sterling, Silva and Grealish would all most likely be ahead of him or Salah, Mane, Jota and Luiz.

Chelsea most likely won’t be signing players which probably leaves Newcastle, Spuds or West Ham.

I suspect he may end up in Spain - language, weather, lifestyle.

Phillips’ value has probably dropped due to injury and not playing for England. If he is going to move then it would need to be a big step up for him I suspect which means Liverpool or City most likely - again would he get into City’s side as a regular starter so might be Liverpool and they do pay spectacular amounts for players.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)