+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clash Of The Titans Greatest Sporting Contest You've Seen ?

Clash Of The Titans Greatest Sporting Contest You've Seen ?

For me the 1980 Borg v Mac Wimbledon singles final remains personally the best contest of two sportsman at the height of their talent .

It was incredible , that tie break in the fourth set was pure theatre , absorbing with Mac eventually edging it and taking it to a fifth set .

Special mention to Ali v Frazier in their 3rd fight , both men nearly died before Frazier's camp threw in the towel in before the 15th round before one of them did , thankfully .

Do you remember Animal, the Beeb did a great sports series called The Clash of the titans some years ago.

I think they mentioned that clash of Borg & Mac, and there was also Coe & Ovett, and Benn & Eubank, and England v the Aussies in the Ashes.
    I always preferred Steve Ovett by the way lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Do you remember Animal, the Beeb did a great sports series called The Clash of the titans some years ago.

I think they mentioned that clash of Borg & Mac, and there was also Coe & Ovett, and Benn & Eubank, and England v the Aussies in the Ashes.
    Coe v Ovett for those of us of a certain age was incredible .

The two best middle distance athletes at that time by some distance , good call Acido .

Ovett won the 800 mtrs at the 1980 Olympic Games with Coe taking the 1500 .

Great memories when both broke the world record for various middle distancing running almost every week at the turn of the 80's .

Yeah and they (Coe & Ovett) were both Brits/English of course, but their rivalry was legendary and almost personal for some reason.
    And yes the Olympics in '80 saw them both give the middle finger to one and other, for winning one of the big races each.
    What disappointed me at the end of their rivalry is Ovett broke down in tears a few times, and that kind of put fans off him.

Yeah and they (Coe & Ovett) were both Brits/English of course, but their rivalry was legendary and almost personal for some reason.
    And yes the Olympics in '80 saw them both give the middle finger to one and other, for winning one of the big races each.
    What disappointed me at the end of their rivalry is Ovett broke down in tears a few times, and that kind of put fans off him.
    My post was about the two best at the top of their game with nothing between them .

Who found something from probably not knowing they even they knew they had , had to dig in to a place they probably knew ever even existed .

When you've given that kind of commitment the tears are probably part of it .

Taylor v Steve Davis world snooker final was another clash that is worthy of comment .

Sink the black ball and you are world champ , both found it incredibly difficult to do it .

Absolutely absorbing TV to see those two have to go through that .

Allus liked Brendon Foster,

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Allus liked Brendon Foster,
    We're not talking abaart who you had a crush on paddy Roma O'taliano. 😂

Remember when Steve Cram and a Yorkie lad called Peter Elliott from Rotherham, got into the middle distance running scene in the mid & late 80s.
    I liked Cram, but I just don't think he had quality and that bitter rival alongside him to spur him on. Like Coe & Ovett regularly did together when they were in their prime.

Remember when Steve Cram and a Yorkie lad called Peter Elliott from Rotherham, got into the middle distance running scene in the mid & late 80s.
    I liked Cram, but I just don't think he had quality and that bitter rival alongside him to spur him on. Like Coe & Ovett regularly did together when they were in their prime.
    Yeh I remember Peter Elliott , proper gutsy runner who had way more heart than the natural talent of Cram , Coe or Ovett .

Got a silver or a bronze at the Olympics can't quite remember which or what Olympics .

I'm not in to F1 by any means , casual interest at best .

However I do remember our James Hunt and Nikki Lauder were serious rivals for the world championship in 1976 I believe .

It went to the last race in Japan with Hunt edging Lauder out .

I don't think they cared too much for each other either from the film I watched fairly recently about that particular world championship .

A bit of a lad was our James , liked to keep an end up and a drink .

Top man .

😋😋😋

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast