+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is our obsession with Yanks

What is our obsession with Yanks

Not sure if it's just a wind up site but saw that we are going after 2 or 3 "stars" that are yanks. Full disclosure, like most of you already know, I am a Yank.

No problem with the Marsch hiring. it's high risk but could yield very high reward. Loved MB but feel we were going down this season with him. Sometimes loyalty crosses over to stupidity. He'd lost the locker room and likely some of the staff. Injuries did not give him the chance to work it out in time.

However, even though the US has some of the best athletes and training facilities in the world we are not prem level with a very few exceptions. It's unlikely we'll find the "few exceptions" and more likely we'll end up with some overpaid championship or LG 1 level players. Someday that will not be the case but for now the MLS is nowhere near equivalent to the prem or even the championship in some cases. If you pick up the players for a song that's one thing but can't help but wonder if we'd not be better off fully developing the U-23's and younger that we already have.

I suspect you will find that as well as Aaronson, who is at Leipzig, so at least has a couple of seasons in a European situation, there's another guy (can't remember his name) a defender, who is also playing either in Europe or even the PL.

Hard to answer your question though, given there are so many more proven players of quality in the PL who would want to join Leeds if we survive, and that's the (literally) $64m question.

I just wish we would look a bit closer at players.
    Watkins 1.5 mill
    Callum Wilson 3 mill
    Robertson 7 Mill Hull
    Mquire Hull 6 Mill
    John mcguin 2 mill
    Harvey elliot 8 mill
    You can go on and
    Couple of players at Fulham Cardiff forest Fulham at the moment where clubs are being linked

I remember bates saying after beckford and kandol.. gem's to be found in the lower leagues that's what we will be getting

We seem to not bother scouting them now

Quote Originally Posted by klix View Post
    I just wish we would look a bit closer at players.
    Watkins 1.5 mill
    Callum Wilson 3 mill
    Robertson 7 Mill Hull
    Mquire Hull 6 Mill
    John mcguin 2 mill
    Harvey elliot 8 mill
    You can go on and
    Couple of players at Fulham Cardiff forest Fulham at the moment where clubs are being linked

I remember bates saying after beckford and kandol.. gem's to be found in the lower leagues that's what we will be getting

We seem to not bother scouting them now
    Think some of those will have gone up in value a bit (bit like Olise, was £8m last season, now £20+), but agree in principle with the idea. As to why we don't bother, you need to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    I suspect you will find that as well as Aaronson, who is at Leipzig, so at least has a couple of seasons in a European situation, there's another guy (can't remember his name) a defender, who is also playing either in Europe or even the PL.

Hard to answer your question though, given there are so many more proven players of quality in the PL who would want to join Leeds if we survive, and that's the (literally) $64m question.
    The other guy is supposedly Sergino Dest, player at Barca (so obviously superior to all the others mentioned in other posts, just like Casilla was better than all the other GKs even though he (like Dest) couldn't get a game there). Not saying there is truth in the rumour, but we have form in such things.

I (currently) live in the US and have had a fair bit of exposure to developing (and developed) players here and my general observations would be:

It's going to be hard for other countries to compete against the systems in place for the female game as it is clearly the number one team sport for girls here and there is plenty of encouragement from all quarters for girls to both play and seriously compete from an early age.

It's definitely better than it was, but "soccer" still tends to be well behind the so-called American sports for adolescent boys (their football, basketball, baseball, ice hockey and, at least in this part of the country, lacrosse) and any inherent athletic talent tends to be siphoned off elsewhere before players get a chance to learn and play the game beyond the basic level.

There are always going to be individual players at the school level with talent, but the teams they play in are often diluted because the athletic kids are simply playing different sports. This makes development more of a challenge.

I'm probably being a total snob, but I rarely bother watching the professional football played here (there is excellent coverage on TV of the Premier League).

This doesn't mean that there aren't decent male players here, it's just that there are probably fewer than you might expect there to be given the size of the population.

Think some of those will have gone up in value a bit (bit like Olise, was £8m last season, now £20+), but agree in principle with the idea. As to why we don't bother, you need to ask?
    A UK director of football, his job is to look at all leagues and recommended the player.
    Pay him a basic and commission if we sell on with a profit. We may have one, if so he or she should be sacked as they are missing out on gems.
    Toney 10 mill, 20 mill plus profit, Brentford over leeds absolutely criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by klix View Post
    A UK director of football, his job is to look at all leagues and recommended the player.
    Pay him a basic and commission if we sell on with a profit. We may have one, if so he or she should be sacked as they are missing out on gems.
    Toney 10 mill, 20 mill plus profit, Brentford over leeds absolutely criminal.
    We most certainly do have a DoF, with a track record that ranges from "abysmal" to "god-like" depending on who you consult. He hails from Spain, and has recruited 90% of newcomers from outside the UK leagues, and owes his position to Radrizzani who is seeking a buyout by the 49-ers. Where do you think he is looking (and not just (or even primarily) at new players) and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    I (currently) live in the US and have had a fair bit of exposure to developing (and developed) players here and my general observations would be:

It's going to be hard for other countries to compete against the systems in place for the female game as it is clearly the number one team sport for girls here and there is plenty of encouragement from all quarters for girls to both play and seriously compete from an early age.

It's definitely better than it was, but "soccer" still tends to be well behind the so-called American sports for adolescent boys (their football, basketball, baseball, ice hockey and, at least in this part of the country, lacrosse) and any inherent athletic talent tends to be siphoned off elsewhere before players get a chance to learn and play the game beyond the basic level.

There are always going to be individual players at the school level with talent, but the teams they play in are often diluted because the athletic kids are simply playing different sports. This makes development more of a challenge.

I'm probably being a total snob, but I rarely bother watching the professional football played here (there is excellent coverage on TV of the Premier League).

This doesn't mean that there aren't decent male players here, it's just that there are probably fewer than you might expect there to be given the size of the population.
    Football Soccer in USA and Australia and similar countries have gone really backward. Since they opened it all up for messenaries development has been stuffed. Like you, I don't watch the local Soccer, and when I do it puts me to sleep. Back in the early 2000s, both our countries were powerhouses as high as the top 25 in the world. We had players all over Europe playing for top teams now they are lucky to be playing league 1 or 2 football and they are our internationals.
    You can see in most leagues how poor some teams are with just a handful of teams fighting it out year after year.

Of course, they have gone up Look at Raph. The problem is you need good people to find these gems before they become household names. We have recruiters here for the AFL and that is their jobs day in day out they travel the countryside and watch everything from backyard games to local leagues. Think you guys call them scouts but they only look at top leagues while players like Vardy get wasted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)