+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: This is why it’s not happening

This is why it’s not happening

From FB:

So, I’ve got my £30 million and I want to invest in a football club…for that I’m getting the whole shebang yes? A competitive squad of Players, the stadium, training ground, academy teams and no debts? ….
    Er no, the £30 mil just about covers the main debts.
    Oh, so I’ve got to pay for everything else on top?
    Er yes, most of the players are out of contract so that’s going to require significant investment. You’ll have to buy the stadium from the old club owner for about £20 mil and negotiate the continued lease of the training ground..that’s before you get in to the monthly running costs of the club, insurance, utilities etc…oh, and there’s a good chance we’re going to get relegated to a much less lucrative division, get a big points deduction and probably stay there for 2-3 years at least….
    Oh, that doesn’t sound like a good investment, I think I’ll look elsewhere…
    THIS is what we are up against whilst the press try to pull the rug…. Give your heads a wobble…DTID

you forgot to mention the massively fallen TV revenue after relegation, declining kit and other sales and the fact that when our manager goes the probability is that our main sponsor walks too.

so you COULD pay 30m for a hapless DCFC, probably with minimal squad, no resources, a further transfer embargo and likely no manager, plus commit to clearing some more of the HMRC debt in the future, pay MM another 20m for a ground you don't need and still end up in League 2 after one season. Or say **** that, and throw 15m at a phoenix club in the area for start up costs, have none of these problems and maybe blag your way into league 2 for 23-24 after a year's break. You pays your money and takes your choice - what would you do? Anyone?

As a fan, obviously you'd cough up the £32M (approx) needed to avoid the 15 point penalty and accept whatever League we end up i next season. It looks like L1 is the most likely at the moment barring us winning a minimum of 5 of the last 7 games.....

As a businessman, I'd go for the £15M option GP gave and start up Derby County FC Phoenix 22 Ltd and lease the stadium for now. Start would be 22/23, no 1 year sabbatical. A year of no football would see many fans develop other Saturday afternoon habits and whereas DCFC would keep most of its fans whether that was DCFC of DCFCP22 next season, IMO, a season away would see lower than expected ST sales and gates. I reckon it's imperative that there be a team playing, whatever the name, next season.

GP's £15 million option is pure fantasy, for a start there is no guarantee where Derby would end up, not very likely it would be League 2. Where does

It seems £30 million is the base line, if one believes bids of that value have been made, but bidders are saying that should include the stadium otherwise what are they buying? The name?

If it is the £20 million Mel is asking for the stadium thats an issue, then he needs to do the right thing and quickly.

I didn't present £ 15m as an option to "save DCFC", Swale, but rather an alternative investment choice for anyone wanting to get into football in Derby. Does it make more sense to try and revive the sick and dying old man, or to invest in a newborn baby? Either route has risks and dangers, uncertainty and volatility - but if it was your money, Swale, where would you put it? £ 15m for the newborn or £ 30-50m for the raddled old man?

At this point in time there are no guarantees about anything, its all about damage limitation and trying to build a long term sustainable future.

MA I take your point about 22-23 season, but at this stage it may not be possible to get a phoenix up and running by August 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I didn't present £ 15m as an option to "save DCFC", Swale, but rather an alternative investment choice for anyone wanting to get into football in Derby. Does it make more sense to try and revive the sick and dying old man, or to invest in a newborn baby? Either route has risks and dangers, uncertainty and volatility - but if it was your money, Swale, where would you put it? £ 15m for the newborn or £ 30-50m for the raddled old man?

At this point in time there are no guarantees about anything, its all about damage limitation and trying to build a long term sustainable future.

MA I take your point about 22-23 season, but at this stage it may not be possible to get a phoenix up and running by August 22.
    I take your point, but a new born baby, have you read Savage's tale of resurrecting or reforming Macclesfield? Where are DC United these days? The team founded by MU fans who disliked the Glaziers?

IF I was a millionaire or had access to millions, then saving Derby would be my choice every time - for one its a club with history, it has a substantial fan base a good stadium even if its leased to start with, excellent training facilities and is in the league. Starting a new club would be a huge task, cheaper maybe but less likely to stir the imagination of locals.

Lets face it anyone who has spare millions (because if you haven't why would you put money into a football club?) Wants the kudos, the glory and that means a club with history.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Not sure about your analogy, GP. It’s not really a case of rescuing a sick and dying old man v a newborn baby. Rather one of who can produce the next reincarnation.
    Like me you’ll be able to remember the likes of Chelsea, both Manchester Clubs and Tottenham all being relegated from the top flight. Newcastle, Wolves, Villa, Leeds and Leicester have all dropped even further.
    Conversely I can’t think of any of the ‘newborn’ clubs, unless you include the likes of Oxford and Wimbledon neither of whom could sustain things, who have done particularly well.
    So much is in place at Derby...fan base, stadium, training ground etc...that I’m confident reclamation/‘reincarnation’ would be a better option for a suitably well heeled purchaser, than starting from scratch.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)