+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O.T FAO Scum

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Off to goodfellas tonight. I’m already looking forward to that steak.
    Good food for you this evening then pal, enjoy.

Me and my good lady get married in September and we’ve got a restaurant called “one momento” in Barnsley for our reception. Food is always good and if you’re ever in town, give it a go. The Mussels in spicy tomatoe sauce are to die for!!

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post
    Good food for you this evening then pal, enjoy.

Me and my good lady get married in September and we’ve got a restaurant called “one momento” in Barnsley for our reception. Food is always good and if you’re ever in town, give it a go. The Mussels in spicy tomatoe sauce are to die for!!
    Thanks for the recommendation mate. I really like mussels.

Has anyone else tried the new Seasons restaurant at Wickersley?

Called in yesterday for lunch. A very impressive lay out awaits you with excellent decor.

A touch pricey but it is a fine dining restaurant.

I ordered a Lobster sandwich on a brioche bun, which was accompanied with large tripled fried chips and a small salad. Plenty of large pieces of lobster which was delicious - £18
    The good lady had a lamb burger again accompanied with large tripled fried chips and a small salad. The lamb was succulent to taste. - £16
    A 250ml glass of Argentinian Malbec produced by finca Ferrer under the label of Acordeo'n. Have to say, it was an excellent wine = £9.50
    A 125ml glass of Pino Grigio for the Wife which she complimented, as she isn't normally a white wine drinker - £7.50
    To finish we shared a cheese platter of two cheeses, you can choose from 2 , 3 or 4 pieces on your platter. This is served with a small warm walnut loaf, black crackers, other cheese biscuits along with celery, a delightful chutney, quince jelly and grapes - £11.50

Absolutely no rushing you so we spent a good hour+ there. We also asked to see the dinner menu and what we liked about it was, there wasn't an overload of many items to choose from. Probably five main dishes covering lamb, Lemon Dover sole, Rissotto, A vegetarian dish and I forget the other. These ranged from £15 - £22.

Like all good restaurants, there's the steaks to choose from ranging from:
    4oz Fillet - £24
    To a 32oz T-Bone £38.

Really enjoyed it so booked a table for a dinner reservation with friends.
    Last edited by Brin; 26-05-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post

Called in yesterday for lunch. A very impressive lay out awaits you with excellent decor.

I ordered a Lobster sandwich on a brioche bun, which was accompanied with large tripled fried chips and a small salad. Plenty of large pieces of lobster which was delicious - £18
    The good lady had a lamb burger again accompanied with large tripled fried chips and a small salad. The lamb was succulent to taste. - £16
    A 250ml glass of Argentinian Malbec produced by finca Ferrer under the label of Acordeo'n. Have to say, it was an excellent wine = £9.50
    A 125ml glass of Pino Grigio for the Wife which she complimented, as she isn't normally a white wine drinker - £7.50
    To finish we shared a cheese platter of two cheeses, you can choose from 2 , 3 or 4 pieces on your platter. This is served with a small warm walnut loaf, black crackers, other cheese biscuits along with celery, a delightful chutney, quince jelly and grapes - £11.50

Absolutely no rushing you so we spent a good hour+ there. We also asked to see the dinner menu and what we liked about it was, there wasn't an overload of many items to choose from. Probably five main dishes covering lamb, Lemon Dover sole, Rissotto, A vegetarian dish and I forget the other. These ranged from £15 - £22.

4oz Fillet - £24
    To a 32oz T-Bone £38.

How big was your tip Brin?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    How big was your tip Brin?
    approx 10%. A courteous, professional, nice and friendly service was given by the young lady which I always reward, unless if it's poor then they get nothing. The Manager also shared some time with us explaining about the wine shortage etc which I found interesting and to my benefit.

approx 10%. A courteous, professional, nice and friendly service was given by the young lady which I always reward, unless if it's poor then they get nothing. The Manager also shared some time with us explaining about the wine shortage etc which I found interesting and to my benefit.
    Do you give it her directly or risk it being added to the bill and it being " shared out" ?

Do you give it her directly or risk it being added to the bill and it being " shared out" ?
    I have a strategy to avoid this risk: not tipping.

I think tipping is such a terrible system. The more an employee depends on tips for income, as in America, the more risk it puts them at. In America if you work at a restaurant that gets a bad news headline/review and custom suffers, you can't pay your mortgage and it's your problem. It removes a lot of the risk from the employer and places it with the employees.

We have a comparatively strong minimum and living wage in the UK.

It's odd that we decide some lower wage jobs deserve tips and some don't. Every time you tip you're really just subsidising the employer from having to pay the true market price.

High tippers are effectively subsidising those that don't (thank you).

It also creates this awkward dynamic. People argue they want good customer service generated by tipping, but I'd much rather have a person be authentically nice/good at their job, and the restaurants can get a reputation for the quality of their service by their hiring decisions.

Some people feel uncomfortable because the status quo is often to leave a tip, and they much rather wouldn't for all the reasons outlined above. To those people I say be brave, think of the bigger picture, end this bizarre system and let the price on the menu be the price you pay.

I'm open to counterarguments. And I do still tip in countries where people are dependent on it.

4oz Fillet - £24
    To a 32oz T-Bone £38.

sounds spot on mate

I'll give it a go

I was once stopped when leaving a restaurant in Manhattan by the waitress who complained to me that I hadn't tipped enough.

Nearly always pay in cash to make sure the server gets the tip directly. My favourite restaurant around these parts is Elupos on Effingham Street. Been going there for 33+ years.

I pay for my meal then always hand the staff member their tip as they have a large tin they all put the tip money in to then they share it all at the end of the night.
    Last edited by Brin; 26-05-2022 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    I have a strategy to avoid this risk: not tipping.

I think tipping is such a terrible system. The more an employee depends on tips for income, as in America, the more risk it puts them at. In America if you work at a restaurant that gets a bad news headline/review and custom suffers, you can't pay your mortgage and it's your problem. It removes a lot of the risk from the employer and places it with the employees.

We have a comparatively strong minimum and living wage in the UK.

It's odd that we decide some lower wage jobs deserve tips and some don't. Every time you tip you're really just subsidising the employer from having to pay the true market price.

High tippers are effectively subsidising those that don't (thank you).

It also creates this awkward dynamic. People argue they want good customer service generated by tipping, but I'd much rather have a person be authentically nice/good at their job, and the restaurants can get a reputation for the quality of their service by their hiring decisions.

Some people feel uncomfortable because the status quo is often to leave a tip, and they much rather wouldn't for all the reasons outlined above. To those people I say be brave, think of the bigger picture, end this bizarre system and let the price on the menu be the price you pay.

I'm open to counterarguments. And I do still tip in countries where people are dependent on it.
    'strong minimum and living wage'? Try telling that to a kid at 17 and ask them what they're paid. It's all about individual choice at the end of the day and to show courtesy guarantees you a good service, well it does at Elupos. I do partly see your point though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast