+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Burchnall Ball wont ever get us promoted

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I've nothing against 2U-2Me, when it worx it's a pleasure to watch. It doesn't always work tho, does it?
    Not much does work for us to be fair !

I'm afraid I agree with the OP. It's a nice idea to try to play football the 'right' way, but in reality, we need to be able to mix it up. The teams that do well at this level are packed full of runners, they press high and fast, and are well organised. They invariably have an ugly side, which we don't.

The best teams are horrible to play against not because they pass in triangles and kill you with fluid movement, but because they relentlessly close you down and win the 50-50s. Teams like Halifax. We sorely miss a nasty midfielder whose job is to win the ball. Or a nasty anyone. Look at Wright at Torquay - not the best striker in the world but horrible to play against. Certainly not the kind of player Notts would sign though.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Not much does work for us to be fair !
    Boom!

That appears to be often overlooked, we have seen plenty of different styles and approaches that "doesn't always work". Most clubs are the same that is why promotions aren't common. But we are certainly overdue one.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Boom!

That appears to be often overlooked, we have seen plenty of different styles and approaches that "doesn't always work".
    But nearly all of them "didn't always work" at a higher level than this. What could be termed almost acceptable then isn't acceptable now.

Unless you class a point at the likes of Dover as a decent point.

They lost those (better) players because they didn't get promoted through the play off us like us last season. Maybe their owners aren't as ambitious as ours
    And if we don't get promoted we'll lose our players as well

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    But nearly all of them "didn't always work" at a higher level than this. What could be termed almost acceptable then isn't acceptable now.

Unless you class a point at the likes of Dover as a decent point.
    Well that's stating the obvious because until we got relegated in 2019 we haven't been at this level, that doesn't change the fact we've tried lots of approaches and styles and they commonly didn't work. That's football.

I don't class a point at Dover as a decent point, nor did I class it when we played away at the bottom of the table sides in L2 and L1 and drew. When that happened same comments appeared on NCM , we shouldn't be drawing with {insert small town team}.

We got hammered by Torquay 5-1 on Saturday. I've seen us lose 5-0 at home to Macclesfield, 6-1 at Daggenham and 5-1 at Rushden which had the added embarrassment as I was representing the club and guests of the home side. I'm sure you saw one of those games. When they happened same comments appeared on NCM embarrassing getting d!cked on by {insert team with smaller crowds than Notts and/or less history}.

Unless almost everything clicks you don't get promoted whether you play 'to me, to you' football or 'gerritt forward bypass midfield' hoofball.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    And if we don't get promoted we'll lose our players as well
    Yes Bob that's how it usually works. Except last season we didn't thanks to the owners.

Well that's stating the obvious because until we got relegated in 2019 we haven't been at this level, that doesn't change the fact we've tried lots of approaches and styles and they commonly didn't work.
    I think we all know that. The point you seem to have missed is that the lower we sink, the more we should expect to beat teams who have a fraction of our support and facilities. It's not being arrogant, it's refusing to accept continued failure without a word of criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I think we all know that. The point you seem to have missed is that the lower we sink, the more we should expect to beat teams who have a fraction of our support and facilities. It's not being arrogant, it's refusing to accept continued failure without a word of criticism.
    Sutton, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Borehamwood, Solihull, Halifax don't have the same support or facilities but it don't seem to be hindering them.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Sutton, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Borehamwood, Solihull, Halifax don't have the same support or facilities but it don't seem to be hindering them.
    They don't play tippy tappy football across the back either. They seem to be better equipped for this league.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast