+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Burchnall Ball wont ever get us promoted

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    Playing tippy tappy football, thinking you are Man City in the National League just doesn't work. Torquay looked much better than us both defensively and offensively playing proper National League football.

We spend far too much time with the ball in our own half and don't have that ability to unlock defences that Man City do playing with that style. We need to be more direct and play in the oppositions half far more.

Arter and Palmer doesn't work. It should be one or the other. Most of the time Wootton was left stranded on his own with little or no support, so not surprising Torquay put us under pressure.

My conclusion is that Burchnall has to go, his style won't work at this level and will leave us languishing in the National League.
    Thank god for that. Was getting worried about our chances.

Any one still think IB will get us promoted?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    Playing tippy tappy football, thinking you are Man City in the National League just doesn't work. Torquay looked much better than us both defensively and offensively playing proper National League football.

We spend far too much time with the ball in our own half and don't have that ability to unlock defences that Man City do playing with that style. We need to be more direct and play in the oppositions half far more.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    It’s infuriating because it’s so close to being able to work, but we appear to be so dogmatic that we won’t change the style even for a little bit during games to allow Plan A to work.
    This sums it up for me.

I'm not at the point of calling for Burchnall to go. There are some aspects of his management and personality I really like and I want him to succeed. HOWEVER, I'm definitely at the point of telling him to wise the f*ck up and stop pretending this excessive commitment to possession-based football is going to deliver success. I'm not for one minute advocating we suddenly start playing hoofball, but I am saying we need more variety and a lot more aggression and steel to our game if we're going to grind out results away from home on a consistent basis. This demands changes in personnel and style of play.

If the manager is going to survive into next season and beyond, he needs to recruit some leaders and enforcers in midfield and defence, and be more willing to mix up the style of play according to the challenge we face. In some games, our footballing principles work and get results, but in others we need to battle far harder and play more directly if the circumstances demand it.

Burchnall either grasps this and acts on it, or he goes the same way as Keith Curle. His future is in his own hands.
    Last edited by jackal2; 01-05-2022 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    This sums it up for me.

I'm not at the point of calling for Burchnall to go. There are some aspects of his management and personality I really like and I want him to succeed. HOWEVER, I'm definitely at the point of telling him to wise the f*ck up and stop pretending this excessive commitment to possession-based football is going to deliver success. I'm not for one minute advocating we suddenly start playing hoofball, but I am saying we need more variety and a lot more aggression and steel to our game if we're going to grind out results away from home on a consistent basis. This demands changes in personnel and style of play.

If the manager is going to survive into next season and beyond, he needs to recruit some leaders and enforcers in midfield and defence, and be more willing to mix up the style of play according to the challenge we face. In some games, our footballing principles work and get results, but in others we need to battle far harder and play more directly if the circumstances demand it.

Burchnall either grasps this and acts on it, or he goes the same way as Keith Curle. His future is in his own hands.
    Very good post Jackal, but we are going to have to see this season through with...

- the squad we assembled and have now
    - the style and pattern of play they've been working on in games and in training all season

Yeah, they can implement better, battle harder, improve intensity throughout the game, mix it up a bit with a few variations by all means, but depart from what they've been doing, throw that away now and you throw away the last remaining chance we have this season. IB should learn though that he can't play around with his team selection - there are sudden drop offs and if you don't put your best team out, you are likely to lose.

I still do not believe that IB will get us promoted.

Me either.

We're going backwards I think. At first I thought he was an improvement on Ardley, now I'm not sure there's a difference. Same slow build up, lack of urgency and generally gutless. Oh, and can't defend for toffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    Me either.

We're going backwards I think. At first I thought he was an improvement on Ardley, now I'm not sure there's a difference. Same slow build up, lack of urgency and generally gutless. Oh, and can't defend for toffee.
    All about style, no substance.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    All about style, no substance.
    In a nutshell, that's been the problem this season. When the going got tough, this team capitulated.

We need to retain the best aspects of this squad, which does have talent, but add some height, strength and aggression to it. In other words, this team needs to grow a pair, and then next season it might be able to compete with the main challengers and not drop stupid points away at places like Eastleigh and Aldershot.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    In a nutshell, that's been the problem this season. When the going got tough, this team capitulated.

We need to retain the best aspects of this squad, which does have talent, but add some height, strength and aggression to it. In other words, this team needs to grow a pair, and then next season it might be able to compete with the main challengers and not drop stupid points away at places like Eastleigh and Aldershot.
    Good post. Spot on.

Grimsby showed us how to do it, quick attacks, power, pace, stopped attacks coming through the middle alot of the time, a threat on set pieces. Hope this was a wake up call to Burchnall but doubt it.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast