+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding for next season

Rebuilding for next season

Congrats to the vampires. You got your pound of flesh but some of us actually want the Alex to succeed. (We'll probably hear less from you as a result).
    Anyway, the rebuilding starts now. We have to get a new manager in with a history of wanting to play football and respecting the academy. I agree with many that that has to be an outsider. I don't know who is available right now but an old pro from the Dario days would not be a problem. That is not to say that's my main choice but if there is any connection with the club, I don't think it should be a recent one.
    Whatever, there should be someone in soon so that they can see what we've got.
    Anyway, in terms of players, we do need a clear out. It seems likely that Jaskalainen and Kashket will go anyway. Ainley and Finney senior should also go.
    I can't see Griffiths making it. Porter should retire.
    So, I reckon we will need a new goalkeeper: at least one experienced full-back; at least 2 new midfielders, including someone strong who can tackle and keep the ball and another who has an eye for a forward pass. We also need to recruit a new Porter but preferably someone who is a bit more mobile.
    Apparently, 9 youth players have been offered contracts and, so far 6 have signed. I believe that two of those not signed may have some recent experience in the 1st team plus one other who hasn't.
    With 6 or 7 new players (no one year contracts, please and not too many loanees) plus Richards; Offord; Johnston; Adebisi; BSD; Uwakwe; Agyei and Long and possibly 9 youth players, we will have a squad to build for the future. As I've said elsewhere, I don't have any illusions that we'll be successful next season - a bit of consolidation will be good for the nerves- but think there's a shining light to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Congrats to the vampires. You got your pound of flesh but some of us actually want the Alex to succeed. (We'll probably hear less from you as a result).
    Anyway, the rebuilding starts now. We have to get a new manager in with a history of wanting to play football and respecting the academy. I agree with many that that has to be an outsider. I don't know who is available right now but an old pro from the Dario days would not be a problem. That is not to say that's my main choice but if there is any connection with the club, I don't think it should be a recent one.
    Whatever, there should be someone in soon so that they can see what we've got.
    Anyway, in terms of players, we do need a clear out. It seems likely that Jaskalainen and Kashket will go anyway. Ainley and Finney senior should also go.
    I can't see Griffiths making it. Porter should retire.
    So, I reckon we will need a new goalkeeper: at least one experienced full-back; at least 2 new midfielders, including someone strong who can tackle and keep the ball and another who has an eye for a forward pass. We also need to recruit a new Porter but preferably someone who is a bit more mobile.
    Apparently, 9 youth players have been offered contracts and, so far 6 have signed. I believe that two of those not signed may have some recent experience in the 1st team plus one other who hasn't.
    With 6 or 7 new players (no one year contracts, please and not too many loanees) plus Richards; Offord; Johnston; Adebisi; BSD; Uwakwe; Agyei and Long and possibly 9 youth players, we will have a squad to build for the future. As I've said elsewhere, I don't have any illusions that we'll be successful next season - a bit of consolidation will be good for the nerves- but think there's a shining light to look forward to.
    Hi Gazan Wartman from the Gharasham tribe here…. A new manager from outside the club a must don’t really care what he thinks about the academy because if we don’t shape up next season we won’t have one, I do hope he will not be hamstrung by having to play kids they are not up to it and will get eaten alive next season happy to see no more than a couple of young players in the first team the rest can continue their development in the U23 and playing for non league teams. Would be happy to see most of the current first team squad released and they could not complain they have been truly abject and should be prosecuted for impersonating a professional footballer, but seriously I know that will not happen but would probably only retain 6 or 7 of them Richards as a back up GK, BSD, Offord, Agyei, Uwakwe and Long of the kids who featured in the first team didn’t really see anybody worth keeping. So I think we probably need to bring in approx 12 players so a massive job ahead for the head of recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Hi Gazan Wartman from the Gharasham tribe here…. A new manager from outside the club a must don’t really care what he thinks about the academy because if we don’t shape up next season we won’t have one, I do hope he will not be hamstrung by having to play kids they are not up to it and will get eaten alive next season happy to see no more than a couple of young players in the first team the rest can continue their development in the U23 and playing for non league teams. Would be happy to see most of the current first team squad released and they could not complain they have been truly abject and should be prosecuted for impersonating a professional footballer, but seriously I know that will not happen but would probably only retain 6 or 7 of them Richards as a back up GK, BSD, Offord, Agyei, Uwakwe and Long of the kids who featured in the first team didn’t really see anybody worth keeping. So I think we probably need to bring in approx 12 players so a massive job ahead for the head of recruitment.
    Don't forget Sambou and (sadly) Gomes also under contract for next season, though no doubt they'll try and get rid of Gomes again, unless the new Manager has a very different view of him!

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    Don't forget Sambou and (sadly) Gomes also under contract for next season, though no doubt they'll try and get rid of Gomes again, unless the new Manager has a very different view of him!

Yes Gomes a sackable offence on its own for paying him £1800 pounds a week inept, can’t make my mind up about Sambou he appears to have had all his previous ability sucked out of him, if we could re ignite him he could be a real threat next year.

I would downgrade the soccer kickabout/academy at RH and appoint a manager who will only play pros that can compete at L2 level. That would provide at least half a million pounds for better wages for the first team. There are thousands of players who are far far better than almost all of ours and the very fact we have the worst set of results for 50 years proves the point. We do NOT want the same old broken records from RH but fear that will be the case.

Dario's idea was that RH would produce at least one PL player each season. Has it?
    Last edited by MikeSB; 12-04-2022 at 07:41 PM.

How come Kenny Lunt not been sacked? Those Blue eyes?

I agree that the Academy should be downgraded and the business model the Board clings to is looking somewhat outdated these days. The Academy is simply not producing the players the first team needs. There will be thousands of players looking for new clubs at the end of this season and there must surely be a fair number of decent players keen to re-start their careers. Dario used to say that we will go with what we've got, but that approach saw players like Buxton and Winnall dismissed after pre-season trials. I see the official site is advertising to fill another analyst vacancy at the Academy. How many more do we need? As for Lunt, I expect that the Board recognised they should show loyalty after he had been replaced and Artell was still in situ. Maybe they should have been removed at the same time?

Can anybody tell me if we have appointed a Head of Recruitment or not? Artell said that there would be news 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Have I missed anything? Have things changed since his demise? Could be something to do with having to find some money to pay him off. Answer's anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by MeForCrewe View Post
    Can anybody tell me if we have appointed a Head of Recruitment or not? Artell said that there would be news 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Have I missed anything? Have things changed since his demise? Could be something to do with having to find some money to pay him off. Answer's anybody?

Yes I believe this has been shelved, it was a process that Dave Artell was trying to put as many people between him and the exit door as possible a pure exercise of self preservation. Any positions that the club creates takes money away from the first team budget I think we need to be decreasing non playing staff not increasing.

Thanks for that. Makes sense I suppose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast