+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backroom Staff

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    On the contrary.
    When Pat Liney gave me my tour of Dens Park in December 2013 I mentioned to Pat about Bob Shankly having a spy in every pub in Dundee and Broughty Ferry.
    He replied that my information was correct and he then told me about one time he had been reported to Bob Shankly about him drinking in a public house in Lochee Road near where he lived.
    Pat Liney told me that Bob Shankly challenged him about drinking in a public house. Pat told me that he confirmed to Bob Shankly that he had been in the public house in question but he had been drinking a glass of lemonade.
    Bob Shankly accepted Pat Liney’s explanation and that was the end of the matter.
    A free ticket for a home game at Dens Park would be a small price to pay to have a spy in every public house in Dundee and Broughty Ferry.
    Assume 100 pubs, 7 days per week and 2 spies per pub to allow for the much longer opening hours these days.

What's it going to cost the club?

Would anyone do that for a £25 ticket to watch Dundee FC? I wouldn't.

When Bob Shankly was the Dundee manager nearly all the Dundee players lived in Dundee and Shankly had a spy in every public house in Dundee and Broughty Ferry.
    I personally know a person who lives on Islay who had a two week trial when he was 16 years old at Dens Park.
    It was reported back to Bob Shankly that this person had been drinking in a public house in Broughty Ferry.
    His two week trial period was immediately terminated and he was sent back home to Islay in disgrace.
    Was wondering how many of the current team stay locally? The Lisbon Lions I think; were all local to the ground. I think Jim McLean also had a stay local policy.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Was wondering how many of the current team stay locally? The Lisbon Lions I think; were all local to the ground. I think Jim McLean also had a stay local policy.
    Not many as most are not prepared to move house for a short contract of two years especially those who are married with family.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Assume 100 pubs, 7 days per week and 2 spies per pub to allow for the much longer opening hours these days.

What's it going to cost the club?

Would anyone do that for a £25 ticket to watch Dundee FC? I wouldn't.
    I was talking about the early 1960’s when the pubs shut from 2.30pm to 5pm in the afternoon and shut at 10pm in the evening.

I first met the person in question in 1998 after a game of golf at Machrie on Islay.
    When this person discovered that I came from Dundee he pulled out a short letter from his wallet and handed it to me to read.
    The letter was from Bob Shankly which also quoted Bob Shankly’s phone number inviting this person to travel to Dundee Football Club for a fortnight’s trial.
    I am not saying the trial didn't happen,just the rest of it. And I'm not sure someone would be carrying a letter from Bob shankly in their wallet for 40 years either,just on the off chance.

Nobody ever says they went for a trial and wasn't good enough,they always have excuses

Quote Originally Posted by grantzer View Post
    I am not saying the trial didn't happen,just the rest of it. And I'm not sure someone would be carrying a letter from Bob shankly in their wallet for 40 years either,just on the off chance.

Nobody ever says they went for a trial and wasn't good enough,they always have excuses
    The person who showed me his letter from Bob Shankly also told me himself that he got caught drinking in a public house in Broughty Ferry when he was having his two week trial with Dundee Football Club.
    Sadly this person has never learned from drinking in a public house at the age of 16.
    Over 15 years ago this person lost his job with whisky company on Islay as a result of being caught drink driving and refusing to tell his employers that he had a drink problem until it was too late.
    His nickname is ‘Cracker’ because he goes crackers when he has been drinking.

The person who showed me his letter from Bob Shankly also told me himself that he got caught drinking in a public house in Broughty Ferry when he was having his two week trial with Dundee Football Club.
    Sadly this person has never learned from drinking in a public house at the age of 16.
    Over 15 years ago this person lost his job with whisky company on Islay as a result of being caught drink driving and refusing to tell his employers that he had a drink problem until it was too late.
    His nickname is ‘Cracker’ because he goes crackers when he has been drinking.
    Doesn't change the fact that I think cracker is lying.. in fact it makes it more likely.

Incidentally, did the incident where he list his job occur on the same day he met you on the golf course??

Doesn't change the fact that I think cracker is lying.. in fact it makes it more likely.

Incidentally, did the incident where he list his job occur on the same day he met you on the golf course??
    This is why I am very loathe to post information like this on Mad because you criticise everything I post.
    That is why I keep all my ‘interesting’ information to myself and only post my ‘minor’ information on this forum.

As unlike me you have never met ‘cracker’ nor did you read my original post correctly.
    Therefore you are in no position to dispute what I stated in my post.
    I know ‘Cracker’ personally and I have no reason to doubt what he told me.

This is why I am very loathe to post information like this on Mad because you criticise everything I post.
    That is why I keep all my ‘interesting’ information to myself and only post my ‘minor’ information on this forum.
    You have interesting stuff????

I would go with that then,save us getting the nonsense you post.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)