+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backroom Staff

Backroom Staff

I see DFC have added another addition to the back room staff, a sports science coach.
    We seem to be overloaded with back room staff, and yet there is no improvement on the park.
    All these coaches and advisors, and we are sitting bottom of the league with five wins, and if we lose our next game,
    We will return to the championship after one season in the top flight.
    Too many chiefs, and not enough Indians, we seem to have our priorities the wrong way round.

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    I see DFC have added another addition to the back room staff, a sports science coach.
    We seem to be overloaded with back room staff, and yet there is no improvement on the park.
    All these coaches and advisors, and we are sitting bottom of the league with five wins, and if we lose our next game,
    We will return to the championship after one season in the top flight.
    Too many chiefs, and not enough Indians, we seem to have our priorities the wrong way round.
    A couple of weeks ago it was mentioned on the club website that a member of the backroom staff had left so perhaps this is the replacement.
    Like you I think that we are overloaded with coaches and advisors.
    Alan Combe is the goalkeeping coach yet our two first choice goalkeepers have not exactly covered themselves with glory this season.
    Last Saturday Lawlor was a bomb scare against United.
    Sixty years ago when we won the league we had Bob Shankly as the manager, Sammy Kean as the trainer and Lawrie Smith as the physio.
    There was no need for a sports science coach back then and in my opinion there is still no need for one nowadays.
    Professional football players have to take responsibility for their own actions and deal with things themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    A couple of weeks ago it was mentioned on the club website that a member of the backroom staff had left so perhaps this is the replacement.
    Like you I think that we are overloaded with coaches and advisors.
    Alan Combe is the goalkeeping coach yet our two first choice goalkeepers have not exactly covered themselves with glory this season.
    Last Saturday Lawlor was a bomb scare against United.
    Sixty years ago when we won the league we had Bob Shankly as the manager, Sammy Kean as the trainer and Lawrie Smith as the physio.
    There was no need for a sports science coach back then and in my opinion there is still no need for one nowadays.
    Professional football players have to take responsibility for their own actions and deal with things themselves.
    Dinosaur

I think the fitness levels in football today are far higher than they were 60 years ago. Very little champagne lifestyle, smoking and partying every Saturday night.
    Think we need to keep up with modern best practice and hopefully this new employee will improve our team.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    I think the fitness levels in football today are far higher than they were 60 years ago. Very little champagne lifestyle, smoking and partying every Saturday night.
    Think we need to keep up with modern best practice and hopefully this new employee will improve our team.
    When Bob Shankly was the Dundee manager nearly all the Dundee players lived in Dundee and Shankly had a spy in every public house in Dundee and Broughty Ferry.
    I personally know a person who lives on Islay who had a two week trial when he was 16 years old at Dens Park.
    It was reported back to Bob Shankly that this person had been drinking in a public house in Broughty Ferry.
    His two week trial period was immediately terminated and he was sent back home to Islay in disgrace.

When Bob Shankly was the Dundee manager nearly all the Dundee players lived in Dundee and Shankly had a spy in every public house in Dundee and Broughty Ferry.
    I personally know a person who lives on Islay who had a two week trial when he was 16 years old at Dens Park.
    It was reported back to Bob Shankly that this person had been drinking in a public house in Broughty Ferry.
    His two week trial period was immediately terminated and he was sent back home to Islay in disgrace.
    That's a great story. I personally know in person about 20 persons who all have personal stories about how each person did not make it as a pro footballer. Personally,I believed maybe 2 of them.....

I won't share them tho

A 'spy' in every public house in Dundee and Broughty Ferry? You've talked some absolute p1sh in your time on here but this really does trump the lot.

The cost of the dark glasses and false moustaches alone would surely bankrupt the club?

Quote Originally Posted by deeranged View Post
    a 'spy' in every public house in dundee and broughty ferry? You've talked some absolute p1sh in your time on here but this really does trump the lot.

The cost of the dark glasses and false moustaches alone would surely bankrupt the club?
    faf 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    A 'spy' in every public house in Dundee and Broughty Ferry? You've talked some absolute p1sh in your time on here but this really does trump the lot.

On the contrary.
    When Pat Liney gave me my tour of Dens Park in December 2013 I mentioned to Pat about Bob Shankly having a spy in every pub in Dundee and Broughty Ferry.
    He replied that my information was correct and he then told me about one time he had been reported to Bob Shankly about him drinking in a public house in Lochee Road near where he lived.
    Pat Liney told me that Bob Shankly challenged him about drinking in a public house. Pat told me that he confirmed to Bob Shankly that he had been in the public house in question but he had been drinking a glass of lemonade.
    Bob Shankly accepted Pat Liney’s explanation and that was the end of the matter.
    A free ticket for a home game at Dens Park would be a small price to pay to have a spy in every public house in Dundee and Broughty Ferry.
    Last edited by islaydarkblue; 16-04-2022 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grantzer View Post
    That's a great story. I personally know in person about 20 persons who all have personal stories about how each person did not make it as a pro footballer. Personally,I believed maybe 2 of them.....

I won't share them tho
    I first met the person in question in 1998 after a game of golf at Machrie on Islay.
    When this person discovered that I came from Dundee he pulled out a short letter from his wallet and handed it to me to read.
    The letter was from Bob Shankly which also quoted Bob Shankly’s phone number inviting this person to travel to Dundee Football Club for a fortnight’s trial.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)