+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lee Hughes

Hughes was a very good footballer playing at a level well below his ability.
    Nevertheless that doesn't guarantee success, but Hughes created goals out of nothing.
    In my opinion, Trevor Christie was the best Centre Forward I've seen at the club. However I'm too young to have seen Tommy Lawton.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Fair enough. I agree with other posters saying that Draper was a class above in that era. I'd add Craig Short in there as well.

Perhaps I should rephrase it: Hughes was easily the best player I've seen play for Notts relative to the level we were at at the time.

He probably should have been playing in the Championship when we had him. Fitness aside, there are strikers playing at the top level who will never have the goalscorers instinct he had.

Also, can anyone think of a bigger fans' favorite than Hughes? I can't. Anyone who supported us through the 70s and 80s think of one?
    I agree that Hughes was the best finisher I've seen in a Notts shirt but the best player & fans favourite has to be The Don for me.

I've seen them all.....from the days of Tommy Lawton / Cecil McCormack (1948 was my first match).

Lee Hughes (in his own inimitable way) was as good as any of them.......better than most!
    He was a completely natural goalscorer, and a thoroughly nice bloke.......all the best Hughesy

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    I agree that Hughes was the best finisher I've seen in a Notts shirt but the best player & fans favourite has to be The Don for me.
    For me too.

What about Tony Agana
    Could tackle himself with no player near him. Was kinda a fans favourite, but out of sympathy for being useless

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    I'm too young to have seen him play, but I understand he was pretty much the best player we've had in the post-war period. But did he get the fans going in the same way Hughes did? I can remember the entire Kop standing up and 'doing the Hughsie' - I've seen any other player get that kind of reaction in my time.

I'm too young to have seen him play, but I understand he was pretty much the best player we've had in the post-war period. But did he get the fans going in the same way Hughes did? I can remember the entire Kop standing up and 'doing the Hughsie' - I've seen any other player get that kind of reaction in my time.
    Not forgetting the Hughesy MASKS

At that time Notts fans weren't exactly renowned for their vocal support ( visiting fans often likened the atmosphere to a cricket match with polite applause rather than loud boisterous chanting) indeed the modern day Kop produces a much better atmosphere than we got even in the top tier imo. I tended to go where the most noise was created & started as a Lane Ender before becoming a Roadsider & also did spells as a Mainstander & Kopite. The Road side was probably as good as our vocal support got & who could forget the thunderous sound of running feet & the vibration of the old wooden stand when the aggro kicked off but my favourite times were as a Lane Ender, we all knew each other ( I still see some of the faces) and although we took some kickings would watch each others backs.

Not many non-strikers get the adulashun that a striker gets. A defence-splitting pass leading directly to a goal will go unnoticed while the goal scorer leaps up and down in front of the ecstatick fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    Hughes was a very good footballer playing at a level well below his ability.
    Nevertheless that doesn't guarantee success, but Hughes created goals out of nothing.
    In my opinion, Trevor Christie was the best Centre Forward I've seen at the club. However I'm too young to have seen Tommy Lawton.
    I think Trevor Christie was underrated by Notts fans at the time - maybe because we also had the snarling beast that was Iain McCulloch playing alongside him. TC scored some terrific headers for us and I remember him as a solid “old school” centre forward - but Super Mac is my favourite Notts striker of all time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast